Offshore Helicopter petition

big bad lindz

https://www.change.org/p/civil-aviation-authority-remove-the-airbus-225-super-puma-from-service

Hi guys,

As I am sure some of you will know there was yet another fatal helicopter crash last week

If you would please look at signing this petition for the removal of the EC225 helicopter from domestic service for offshore transportation of passengers to and from oil rigs. Enough is enough we do not want another fatal crash.

Cheers,

BBL

Fully support the sentiment behind this as too many issues with the EC225 recently, however it doesn't need a petition, it needs direct action from the offshore operators. If they wont pony up then the workers need to make them do so by refusing to fly on that bird.

This is not a governmental issue, it is a supply chain management problem in the offshore industries.

I can't understand why anyone would want to hinge their hopes on a petition which could take months if not years (if at all ) to come to fruition when there is the potential for lives lost, if the risk is so real. Surely the passengers themselves need to be voting with their feet....now, today.

I can't understand why anyone would want to hinge their hopes on a petition which could take months if not years (if at all ) to come to fruition when there is the potential for lives lost, if the risk is so real. Surely the passengers themselves need to be voting with their feet....now, today.

Voting with our feet is not quite so simple Scully, unfortunately. I think its more to do with making the manufactures and operators of the Air Bus EC225 more aware of opinions of people with regard to the loss of lives.

So I ask my self a question or two regarding the EC225 and flying in them

Do I want to fly in a 225?, not particularly but I have a limited choice.

Does my wife want me to fly in a 225?, no.

Can I stop working offshore?, not at this present time, there is no work in the area where I live that would provide a similar salary.

Yes it may take a long time for a petition to go through its process but we have to start somewhere.

There have been petitions in the past I've signed them as I was about to check in luckily to fly in a S92. As the profits fall with low oil prices so the maintainance of the hellis with known issues.

Lots of lads are now not bothering with offshore due to conditions reduced pay and chance of crashing.

Voting with our feet is not quite so simple Scully, unfortunately. I think its more to do with making the manufactures and operators of the Air Bus EC225 more aware of opinions of people with regard to the loss of lives.

So I ask my self a question or two regarding the EC225 and flying in them

Do I want to fly in a 225?, not particularly but I have a limited choice.

Does my wife want me to fly in a 225?, no.

Can I stop working offshore?, not at this present time, there is no work in the area where I live that would provide a similar salary.

Yes it may take a long time for a petition to go through its process but we have to start somewhere.

Fair enough; it wasn't meant as a criticism ( I had a cousin worked on the rigs off Aberdeen ) merely a suggestion of workers voting with their feet. I wish you success in your quest.

Signed. I just hope it helps towards getting people home safe and sound. The safe transport of offshore workers should be of paramount concern to the employers - but obviously something, somewhere, is not as good as it should be. :no:

The first serious fatal accident happened with what was suspected as a catastrophic failure with the gear box causing the helicopter to drop like a stone, there were two subsiquent controlled ditchings and now with similarities to the fatal crash off Norway. After the grounding of the EC225 for several months, the manufactures identified issues with the gear box lubrication system and was we were told this was resolved.

My understanding of the maintenance regime is that it is very rigorous. There is a very smart onboard engine monitoring system which I believe is downloaded after every flight for the maintenance teams to review. But sadly something went wrong.

As an air frame they are very efficient and have all the whistles and bells to go with it have a good range of flight but are IMO and many others, not very comfortable as a passenger. I dont think that maintenance is lacking due to the down turn in the oil price but a fundamental design issue. Only time will tell and hopefully they be removed from service with out any further loss of life.

Normally If there is a question about any machine there is a grounding order until the problem is resolved. How do others feel about flying in them? Have groups of workers refused to fly on them? What are the unions and the companies doing about the issue? No one from the insurance companies to the government want peoples lives and equipment put at risk with All of the litigation and loss involved. The costs of the losses far out way any savings by using potentially faulty machinery. I would have thought that If there were a few groups of workers that refused to get on these choppers then the platforms operations would be affected and the companies would very soon sort it out.

Edited by fortune

seems funny how the military use them and we don't hear of the same problems of dropping out of the sky. The full fleet should be S92's the EC 225 must be getting ready to retire soon the age of them.

Trouble is if the whole fleet are S92's and there is an issue the whole fleet will be grounded and there will be nothing else to pick up the slack.

Much better to have a mixed fleet as long as they are not falling out of the sky.

im not really involved in this...i dont what im talking about .......................BUT...........when it happened there was camera phone footage of the aftermath ..i think 2 or three phones had been used..............and we all saw this several times............but there was one piece of footage that i saw only once and didnt see it again...and im wondering now if i was seeing things...............the piece of footage was from a phone and panned up from the crashed burning wreckage that had happened only sec's before and the camera focussed on a SET OF ROTAS whirling in the sky ..slowly coming down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did anyone else see it....?

im not really involved in this...i dont what im talking about .......................BUT...........when it happened there was camera phone footage of the aftermath ..i think 2 or three phones had been used..............and we all saw this several times............but there was one piece of footage that i saw only once and didnt see it again...and im wondering now if i was seeing things...............the piece of footage was from a phone and panned up from the crashed burning wreckage that had happened only sec's before and the camera focussed on a SET OF ROTAS whirling in the sky ..slowly coming down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did anyone else see it....?

Yes....http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/norway-helicopter-crash-fatalities-feared-7865478