HMR failure - another reason to check after anything odd.

LeadWasp

A pal called me the other night to say that he'd had a 'slight problem' with his HMR.

Using a certain 17gr ammunition provided by a firm beginning with H he had chambered one round and had a misfire (no report at all). Following a safe ejection he chambered another round, shot it and everything went bang.

Basically it seems that the dud round left it's bullet in the throat, the second round pushed that forward, then there was an over pressure that blew the magazine out and broke the fore-end. There is now a bulge in the bull barrel about 10cm forward of the chamber.

Lucky guy - he just got a bit of a fright.

Night time lamping rabbits he may not have noticed the empty bullet missing specially as it was ejected onto the floor. But the difference in sound from a duff round from a good one is very different. So for me it's a matter of caution if something doesn't sound as it should..

Lost all confidence in mine. Bring on the 17 remington getting impatient now..

I've only used Hornady V-Max 17 grain since getting a .17 and this has not happened to me once, just lucky I guess...

I'll be extra careful now though :good:

Edited by ozalid

It was dark and yes he was out rabbiting, and of course your not going to try to catch as misfired cartridge. There was no report from the cartridge at all. He's not wet behind the ears by any means. I posted it more to show another risk with this ammunition, poor head space on top of misfires.

Edited by LeadWasp

It was dark and yes he was out rabbiting, and of course your not going to try to catch as misfired cartridge. There was no report from the cartridge at all. He's not wet behind the ears by any means. I posted it more to show another risk with this ammunition, poor head space on top of misfires.

+1

Edited by reggiegun

I had an odd firing from a PPU in .243 where it did go bang but something was very wrong, I checked and the bullet had left the barrel but failed to connect with the fox just 20 feet away....... one lucky fox.

Seems we do need to be ever watchful on these misfires

Exact same thing happened to me.....I know Numpty!

Take the rifle and ammo back to your gun shop & tell them to contact Edgar Bros who are the importers of the ammo & they will sort it out for you :yes:

As said before this is happening far to often & it is just a question of time before someone gets seriously injured from these dodgy rounds :no:

You all, by now, know my thoughts on the hmr. 17 Hornet. Everything you wanted from the hmr and more.

With that in mind, the hmr is hard to beat price wise for rabbits. Any misfire should be treated with caution, much as with a shotgun, if you pull the trigger and it goes click and you believe a round had been chambered then wait 30 seconds, pointing the rifle in a safe direction, extract round, bolt out and check barrel for obstruction.

I would be bold enough to say that that goes with any calibre.

Edited by mick miller

I check all my HMR ammo before heading out, I've separated no less than 18 rounds with split necks, much easier to spend a few minutes indoors with a coffee than out in the dark.

As a mater of interest do you return these to your supplier as being unfit for purpose?

If you hear a quiet report,from firing.And you chamber an other round ***. Well your friend is a Numpty. Day or night they sound the same.

READ WHAT I WROTE - then consider withdrawing that remark.

I love and use my .17 hmr a lot.

I did have some hornady ammo (Only one I do use) with split necks.

with some caution I did chamber every single one of them and never had the problem yet.

just wack it in and and be sensible

like someone said before it can happen to any caliber and if it sound od and you dont check it me thinks its your fault.

btw when I was in the service I did have some prob with my ak47 in 7.62 and ex russian ammo in Poland we did use was utterly ****.

just keep vigilant about every shot you take I say.

Not being funny, but if this is only happening with one brand and it is reported to the manufacturers and nothing is being done, then it is time to get trading standards involved!

CCI actually loads all of the .17 HMR ammunition for the CCI, Federal, Hornady, and Remington brands. So it would seem strange that it's only happening to one brand :whistling: