.308 for lamping foxes

You can feed a 308 a hell of a lot of 123gr bullets compared to the cost of another rifle, scope, ammo

My uncle had one rifle

BSA majestic in .270

Can't tell you how many foxes it accounted for in day and night

If you can shoot a .223, .243 at night you can shoot a .308

Drop difference at most night foxing ranges is negligible between ANY centrefire that is not pushing up around 4000fps or more

Certainly smaller than most people can shoot

Unless you want another rifle use what you know.

A moderated 308 is no louder than a moderated .243

It's the same case!

Exactly :good:

The latest HO guidance doesn't think a 308 is suitable for fox.

Its guidance not a rule.

It might not be suitable as for acquiring as a good reason but no reason not to have all species on ticket.

Absolutely. AOLQ would cover it. just pointing out what an FEO would say.

Exactly :good:

Its guidance not a rule.

Is that why it's called HO guidance and not HO rules? :no:

Ive shot a few Fox's with my 30.06 using 150 SST both static and on the run, not my ideal tool for the job due to cost, recoil, noise and what I considered to be a bit OTT for Fox. I have more suitable tools for the job.

When I was a 1 cf man my 308 killed fixed happily under the lamp none of them complained but when I got a 22cf it took over the fox duties.

A safe shoot is a save shot 22cf or 308, are there better tools for foxing than the 308 yes but if your a 1 gun man I'd rather a 308 than 223 for example.

You can download a .308 to a whisper using 12 grains of unique with a 150 grn bullet and its still very effective on foxes out to 100yds plus and very accurate too.

With a moderator it sounds like an air rifle

different point of impact though compared to full loads

Is a .308 whisper still legal for deer?

I have to say there has been much talk of a safe shot being a safe shot but I certainly wouldn't want to be lobbing extra heavy 30 cal bullets at subsonic speeds at night

In fact I will at this point disclose why I no longer shoot deer with bigger than 6 mm

I had a freaky ricochet were a 140 grain 7 mm diverted inside the deer ( don't know why) but seeing the trail the bullet left as it passed over a drew soaked field made me go cold

I was in many respects fortunate I saw it I wouldn't have done at night and it was a very remote area that bullet will have been traveling around 3000 fps from the muzzle

It's also an eye opener as to why the backdrop is equally as important as a backstop - sometimes " stuff" just happens

Back in the 90s before that abhorrence Hamilton, I actually had .308 on ticket for fox in it's own right. I used to load 110grn JHP over 49grns of Reloader 12 (can't get this powder any more) and it was devastating.

After Dunblane I was told that I couldn't use it any more and had to get a .22CF. So in order to make the world a safer place I had to buy another rifle.

G

Big guns yey but why.

in last year I did shoot about 175 foxes (acording to my notes)

All of them in range of up to 150m.

under lamp easy to spot ond be sure about back stop.

I do use for that .22 hornet. Home loads with 45grain soft point. About 15 gbp for 50 rounds if you load at home

cheep , light, quiet, owsome,

why taking .308 for a fox I know you can but why.

if you think .22 hornet is to small take .223

just my opinion.

Big guns yey but why.

in last year I did shoot about 175 foxes (acording to my notes)

All of them in range of up to 150m.

under lamp easy to spot ond be sure about back stop.

I do use for that .22 hornet. Home loads with 45grain soft point. About 15 gbp for 50 rounds if you load at home

cheep , light, quiet, owsome,

why taking .308 for a fox I know you can but why.

if you think .22 hornet is to small take .223

just my opinion.

The why is simply because it's the calibre I own, and it's got fox on it.

I however feel slightly twitchy about using it in the Dark, and obviously very few people lamp with a .308.

Yup I do get that.

since I stop working and become full time dad since march money are tight

changing rifle is always big expense.

During the day no prob as you can see whats the background and backdrop etc.

during the night you may know you ground but **** hapens.

how far will travel .308 at 150 grains ricochet or overpenetrating shot and how far will travel same in .223 50 grains.

Just safety etc.

You can get lightweight varmint bullets, v max and sierra do a light varmint bullet.

If you want to go even lower load .30 cal pistol bullets 80 grains, these are goiung to expand :lol: and with style. :lol: .

Get some accelerators 55 grain from a .308 around 4 000 fps .

Edited by TONY R

i use my 308 for just about everything other than rabbit as its my only 'really accurate' c/f,

dont care for or want a row about if in your opinion its unsuitable for fox, i have it on aolq and thats what i use - simples :)

its not about being unsuitable.

Just some areas are not safe to use it wth some ammo.

Dead is dead but its about being safe out there.

I love shooting and I dont want it to be ended by wrong shot.

You might well know the land really well but you just cannot check out the backdrop ( behind and to the side of the backstop) so well at night

Bigger heavier bullets carrying more energy are just not giving you anything you need and so just represent an extra factor in the risk

An unseen rock hidden in the grass might be all it takes for a bullet to leave the backstop into the backdrop. It's just straightforward risk management to expect the unexpected and plan for it to minimise the risk