What is your favourite type of venison to eat?

malkiserow

CWD,

MUNTJAC

ROE

FALLOW

RED

I've not tried Sika yet,

Tab

Flynny

I think I've had the "big" ones but now sure I really knew what was being served so decided not to guess...... Makes it easier when you shoot them and know the species!

hi malk only ever had the roe which i have shot myself, made a roe venison slow cooked stew last week, bloody lovely, just melted in the mouth. am back out on bucks next month again in scotland, happy days.

P.S love your new avatar of Doddy, often seen him out and about in Liverpool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was given a joint of CWD and it was awful, put me off for life. Perhaps it had not been handled/hung correctly. Anyway :-

1.Muntie without a doubt

2. Pronghorn (am I allowed a non native species) It is good.

3. Roe

4. Wild boar

5. Mouflon

6 Wild goat (cabrito)

My favourite way to cook backstrap is to cut in 1 1/2 inch steaks at an angle, having carefully taken off the silver skins. Then gentle beat each steak out until about 1/4 inch thick. Heat a skillet, drop in a large knob of butter and some crushed/chopped fresh garlic and black pepper. When this is seriously sizzling lay in the meat and keep turning until brown on the outside and pink in the middle. Brilliant hot or cold. I call them New Zealand Venison chips because my guide in New Zealand cooked the backstraps from the tahr I had just shot in the same way in a cast iron skillet on a wood fire. Awesome.

Edited by Walker570