look whats in my log burner

oowee

that looks like a hornet. About the size of a queen wasp and a lot of orange on it instead of wasp yellow. There was a nest down in the wood the other year. a woman and her dog disturbed it and the whole swarm came out and really went mad. the dogs had to be taken to the vets for treatment and she had to go to hospital for treatment. She told me that the pain was excruciating and it was a terrifying experience. Leave it alone and seal it up so no one else gets in there at it. They work on a pheromone and if one gets killed the whole nest goes into attack mode. all of that type of thing kill a mountain of other bugs which is good. if it aint causing a problem just leave it alone.

ran over a nest of them once when i was flailing a ride in a wood once on an open tractor. First thing i knew about it i was being stung on the back of the head. Got me 7 times in all. Very painful and lucky i didn't have an allergic reaction. Ive never run quite so fast in my life once i realised what was happening.

Haha I got locked in a loft space with a nest of hornets swarming after going to investigate a noise when I was at a well known pest controllers, never seen me panic so much trying to reopen hatch that fell shut, I literally threw myself down ladder - customer panic I panic - chaos.

a couple of years ago I had not been using my log stove as I have oil heating anyway so I decided to clean it out and polish up the glass to my horror I found a little dead sparrow there was some bird poo in there so the pore thing must have been in there for some time before it died I had visions of me sat watching tv and the pore little thing watching me through the glass as it starved to death. ever since then I keep the glass nice and clean and check inside before I go to bed and a while ago I did find a live half dead wasp covered in soot but I got it out and put it outside and it flew off I hope it will tell its mates not to sting me :whistling:

If it is a hornet it has come from a nest somewhere near. these things live by hunting other insects and totally destroy bee hives which is a real bad thing. the year that there was the hornets nest down in the woods we had a hornet in one of the upstairs bedrooms. I just thought that it was an odd random one but that year it destroyed a big established wild hive up in a tree in the middle of the orchards. If I had known what hornets did I would have made an attempt to find it and destroy it. I would have made some traps also.

From a bee keepers site. >>> Take a one and a half or two litre plastic water/coke bottle, cover the bottom 2/3 with duct tape. With a sharp knife make a horizontal cut half way up the bottle 5 cm long. at both ends of this cut make vertical cuts 1 cm long. bend the flap formed in at an angle of about 45 degrees (like an upsidedown letter box flap). puncture a dozen small holes near the cap (to release the scent)

Bait - I find a splash of strawberry fruit syrup (any sweet juice) a splash of cider vinegar, water to make 3" deep, then add a chopped up banana skin!!

Both wasps and hornets are attracted by the scent and eventually find the "letterbox" flap and enter the trap, once in they head for the light at the top of the bottle, they tire and fall into the bait and drown Bees totally ignore these traps. Empty and re-bait at least weekly. Good hunting.

Edited by fortune

It looks like a wood wasp normally found in timber yards or pallet factories.they are harmless the needle on there **** is just for injecting into wood to lay her eggs.if not it's a hornet and get it killed,I can't really make it out as I'm looking on my phone before the pw massive come on and try to criticise.

Edited by lurchers

It looks like a wood wasp normally found in timber yards or pallet factories.they are harmless the needle on there **** is just for injecting into wood to lay her eggs.if not it's a hornet and get it killed,I can't really make it out as I'm looking on my phone before the pw massive come on and try to criticise.

Specsavers for you Sir? :no:

Hope it's a 22 and not 177 as they split the case

Got me beat with that one at this hour of the day? :whistling:

If it is a hornet it has come from a nest somewhere near. these things live by hunting other insects and totally destroy bee hives which is a real bad thing. the year that there was the hornets nest down in the woods we had a hornet in one of the upstairs bedrooms. I just thought that it was an odd random one but that year it destroyed a big established wild hive up in a tree in the middle of the orchards. If I had known what hornets did I would have made an attempt to find it and destroy it. I would have made some traps also.

From a bee keepers site. >>> Take a one and a half or two litre plastic water/coke bottle, cover the bottom 2/3 with duct tape. With a sharp knife make a horizontal cut half way up the bottle 5 cm long. at both ends of this cut make vertical cuts 1 cm long. bend the flap formed in at an angle of about 45 degrees (like an upsidedown letter box flap). puncture a dozen small holes near the cap (to release the scent)

Bait - I find a splash of strawberry fruit syrup (any sweet juice) a splash of cider vinegar, water to make 3" deep, then add a chopped up banana skin!!

Both wasps and hornets are attracted by the scent and eventually find the "letterbox" flap and enter the trap, once in they head for the light at the top of the bottle, they tire and fall into the bait and drown Bees totally ignore these traps. Empty and re-bait at least weekly. Good hunting.

Got a picture / drawing?

I like the idea and it seems simple enough.

Got a picture / drawing?

I like the idea and it seems simple enough.

Reply to post #20. I don't have any drawings or pics but All It is, is a flap like a letterbox cut in the side with the flap pushed inside like a ledge. The insect goes in and can't find a way out. It is a nasty But effective trap. I've seen similar traps abroad on holiday and they have been filled up solid. They need emptying out of the dead to remain effective. There might be pictures on Google images. Most seem to be a plastic bottle cut off and inverted to make a funnel. I am allergic to wasp stings and every one taken out isn't going to sting me. Bees don't seem to be interested in these traps.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=980&bih=613&q=wasp+trap&oq=Wasp+t&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.2664.7960.0.10235.6.6.0.0.0.0.205.817.2j2j2.6.0....0...1ac.1j4.64.img..0.6.812.UKQ9-PrBjTs

• 2 weeks later...