Advice on filling holes in sheet metal

FalconFN

Any quick and simple tips on filling rust holes in thin sheet steel? I'm rebuilding a old Ransomes ride on mower and the covers range from being pitted to being swiss cheese. I need a simple and cost effective fix so was thinking riveted patches or some sort of metal putty (?) for small holes and some sort of mesh and filler for groups of holes?

I only have an arc welder so that's out.

Unfortunately there wouldn't be much left if I did that. It's nothing structural so I am more interested in waterproofing rather than cosmetics.

I've got the Kubota engine running again and the drive and cylinder is under control, but the 'bodywork' is the only stumbling block.

Sorry, meant to say thanks for the advice - I'm sure that is the best way to do it too.

Get some fiber glass sheets and resin and coat the whole thing with it,it will add some strength and keep out the weather.

that is about it !............use mesh first...then build up a couple of layers...

Get some fiber glass sheets and resin and coat the whole thing with it,it will add some strength and keep out the weather.

Yep...that's the way to go, :yes: you can then sand and paint it, make sure you wear some rubber gloves, resin is a nightmare to get off your hands.

Good luck FN

Would u not just use catalloy paste rather than fibre glass?

Would fibre glass even bond to the sheet metal like that

Just mix it up and smeer it on and u can sand it easily. I got a 3.5l tub for 25 quid so cheap as chips, can be dear in smaller tubs in garages/halfords

For restoration I use lead filler over tinning compound then file off excess. Gives a nice solid feel to thin sheet and all done at lower temperature than welding. Not for structural sections obviously.

it's 2016 i in 30 years in body shops have never seen anyone need to lead anything it's a reet faff and bloody time consuming

if it's not cosmetic use fibreglass even on bigger holes you can always put some cardboard on the other side to stop it falling out when wet

I'm sure you know but wear a mask when sanding fibreglass it's an unpleasant material

Lead loading is still done but only in better resto shops and on high end stuff

It's not general run of the mill at all but very good when done right

My neighbour deals in ransom mowers re- con stuff and parts the works

Give us a list if you need owt I can bob over I use his machine shop a bit and do some welding for them