New SP1 or used 682e Gold

Brokey

Ok so I like pink cords, deal with it ! I'm going to buy my first gun for over 20 yrs and is going to be a Beretta. Now here's my dilemma... New Silver Pigeon for around £1450 or an incredibly good looking used (2005) 682e Gold for £1850 ?

Love to hear all your mixed opinions and views !!

The 682 gold E without doubt a better gun. What are you going to use it for?

£1850 is a lot for a Gold E of that age you could get one for a few hundred less.

I agree, the wood would have to be grade 5 for the 682e to command that money but I would personally pay close to that for one laid up and almost un-shot, the year is all but irrelevant with something like a 682e because they didn't do bad years and most have decent enough wood considering their segment. There is very little sense buying new shot guns unless talking about something like a Longthorne or made to measure DT11 side plate etc.

I have a 682 gold e that is roughly 10 years old and a SP1 that was bought at Christmas last year. The difference in quality, fit and finish really did surprise me. I had to remove the burs on the ejectors of the SP1 to stop them sticking when closing the gun.

The wood isn't even in the same league. The wood on my 682 wouldn't look out of place on a Purdey but the wood on the SP1 can only be described as a plank.

I'd take an older beretta over a new one any day of the week, your comparing an entry level gun against a top spec competition gun, to get more gun than a 682 you have to, in the beretta range, go to the hand finished DT/SO shop. 1850 is pulling your pants down a bit, they aren't that expensive if you look around, the 692's appearance lead to dealers getting an influx.

Ps. You can always get the GMK service from beretta in London that basically replaces all worn parts for a fixed cost of about £175, mine came back like new. Would of added £300 to the value if I was selling it.

i was thinking the same as you new silver pigeon or 682 gold e, strangely enough I went for the new silver pigeon.

I love the looks of the gold e but it felt incredibly light to handle just didn't feel right to me which I was gutted as I really wanted one lol

The silver pigeon felt more solid to me ie weight wise.

Have a look and try a few if you can

i was thinking the same as you new silver pigeon or 682 gold e, strangely enough I went for the new silver pigeon.

I love the looks of the gold e but it felt incredibly light to handle just didn't feel right to me which I was gutted as I really wanted one lol

The silver pigeon felt more solid to me ie weight wise.

Have a look and try a few if you can

Gold Es can feel light but it's more in the way they balance, especially in 30". Most Gold Es are a shade over 8lb which is okay for most people and probably a bit more than the average SP1, but they really do handle better in 32". As always it's how they feel to you that matters but the Gold E is a step up from the SP1 on every level.

Maybe consider also the 686 EVO

Much the same gun as the new silver pigeon sporters, opti bore and choke!

Just much nicer wood and plainer stlyed action!

Cant fault mine at all!

Couldnt get on with the pam swell on the gold E that i shot, but everyone is different!

ET

Edit to say; only payed £1200 for an imaculate 686 evo so a few quid left over for carts!

Edited by Euget123

Really appreciate all of your input no this topic. Perhaps I should have said my shooting will be purely recreational rather than trying to win comps. I know that the wood on a modern Sp1 can only be described as "average" but it will not effect my attempts to miss a clay ! My recent reintroduction into clays has been mostly using an SP and I've got along with it. Yes the 682 is a better gun in a number of areas but that being said I've never shot with one. Asthetically the 682 looks miles better than an SP1 but with a ten year warranty the latter will probably win together with the fact the I'll enough left to buy a Hatsan for rainy days! But that's another topic !!

pro's and cons for both, personally id have the gold e, but never at that price, that has to be a dealer price, you can get newer models for £1400-£1600 all day long with a private sale.

and as for Beretta wood its not graded, iv seen some dull looking gold e's and iv also seen some belters, plenty of choice out there if you look, i got a 32" one not so long back, multi choke 2008 i think it was decent wood, £1450 and off here i think :good::good: