Recommended gun shops in Midlands

mct94

Hi there,

I am still awaiting my SGC but wanted to know if anyone on here can recommend a good shop to buy my first gun from.

I was set on buying either a 525 or a Silver Pigeon, but ideally I want somewhere with a big selection where I can hold and mount a few guns and ensure I get something that fits me well instead of just buying something for the name and hoping for the best. I don't want to spend £1400 on a gun to sell it 6 months later, but I understand after a few months of shooting on my own I may want to change it anyway.

Its a reasonably big purchase for myself so I want to go somewhere that will let me take my time and not try and sell me a ill-fitting gun!

So, who can recommend a decent shop with good staff who know what they're on about and don't mind lots of questions!

Im in Derbyshire and have heard good things about Countryman and Melbourne.

Cheers

I'm in Derbyshire and I've bought a couple from Melbourne but as yellow bear said Neville's in alfreton are good and very friendly and helpful.

I'm in Derbyshire and I've bought a couple from Melbourne but as yellow bear said Neville's in alfreton are good and very friendly and helpful.

You might be wise to pop along to your local clay ground-most seem to have a selection of the more common guns that visitors can use and you get more of a feel for a gun if you can use it on something like a Sporting layout - my money , for what it's worth, would be on a 525 multi sporter but that's just me - you mention both the SP and the 525 but try both before committing - some people simply cannot get on with Beretta's whilst many find them ideal. Take your time...it's your money so you are in the driving seat :good:

Edited by bruno22rf

Thanks for the replies guys.

I got my Guerini from Premier after taking back a faulty Beretta 692. Plenty of guns and you can have a couple of rounds of skeet to try. Be aware they charge, £20 I think, if you don't buy to stop tyre kickers.

Glenlivet- I have been taking lessons and shot with friends at Doveridge so have had a look round Premier. Have heard mixed opinions about them but nonetheless I think it'd be worth paying to use a few guns as you mention. Thankyou. Just out of interest what was wrong with the 692?

You might be wise to pop along to your local clay ground-most seem to have a selection of the more common guns that visitors can use and you get more of a feel for a gun if you can use it on something like a Sporting layout - my money , for what it's worth, would be on a 525 multi sporter but that's just me - you mention both the SP and the 525 but try both before committing - some people simply cannot get on with Beretta's whilst many find them ideal. Take your time...it's your money so you are in the driving seat :good:

bruno22rf - Good advice there. Doveridge, where I intend to become a member, have a good selection of guns you can borrow. I have been using their 'borrow guns' on my lessons and is how I got interested in Silver Pigeons. I am not planning to spend a particular amount of money, just what gun feels right. I was at Doveridge yesterday using my mates ancient AYA side by side and shot really well with it, but I'm definitely going for a 30" Sporter MC for my first gun as you mention above.

Think Countryman, Melbourne, Doveridge and perhaps Solware might be good options.

Cheers

Doveridge sounds good to me,try several guns someone will prob come out with you and give you a few tips aswell ,and skeet will give you a good idea how the gun handles

Good luck with choice

Im friendly with some of the instructors there so il ask. Interested in shooting skeet actually, a instructor took me on there at Doveridge and i shot 22/25 on my first ever round! Although was probably beginners luck but I do really enjoy the faster paced / snap shooting style. Thanks mate

Thanks for the replies guys.

Glenlivet- I have been taking lessons and shot with friends at Doveridge so have had a look round Premier. Have heard mixed opinions about them but nonetheless I think it'd be worth paying to use a few guns as you mention. Thankyou. Just out of interest what was wrong with the 692?

The usual ejector problems. They stuck a couple of times on my trial shoot but that could have been the cartridges. However, I shot a few times over the weekend with different shells with no improvement so, given the known ejector problems with early 692s, I took it back and swapped it. I was quite impressed that they did this although I gathered they weren't too happy.

The 692 was back up for sale on the website later that day though......

Used be a great one in Brierley Hill, cant remember the name though.

Will try and dig it out.

DAI are useless now (last time I went in virtually no guns)

There is another by the waterfront which is higher end "Brierley guns" iirc

If you have a wad of Cash you will be made very welcome at Countryman ! Any other time you will get mixed reaction from uninterested to unwelcome :sad1:

I stopped going in there one Saturday when Martin had a room full of shotgun shells and told me due to the increase in LEAD prices all the stock he had would be going up 20% on the Monday.

Countryman and Nevilles get my vote. Beretta my first gun from Countryman at Derby and PX at Nevilles for my Guerini.

Both great to deal with, good stock levels and quite happy for all the noob questions when I went looking to buy.

Cheers

J