Waterproof electrical connection help please.

harrycatcat1

I have bought two LED pir lights for outside one for the front and one for the side of the house as there has been a spate of burglaries recently.

Anyhow the lamps have come with about six inch of wire attached so I need to connect the wires outside. I have tried to take the back off the lamp to wire it in directly but its like spaghetti junction inside the cover so thats a no go.

The lamps were only 14 quid off fleebay but the waterproof connectors look like being about the same again, any ideas anyone?

Regards

Hcc

Thanks for that, all I did was put "waterproof electrical connections" in google and it didnt come up with this, its all about having the knowledge. :good:

I have in the past surrounded connectors in silicone for a light on the garage but as I get older I see the error of my ways :whistling:

Thanks again.

Hcc

I was going to suggest that but didn't want the abuse you'd have given me!

I wouldnt have, I take advice and filter it then make my own decision. :good:

I have decided to silicone the front one and put a box on the side where it cant be seen.

Thanks again for the advice.

Regards

Hcc

Take them back and buy some better ones that work. Have a look to see if you can buy ones with wiring connection boxes built in.

I have a confession to make I have never fitted any of these LED pir lights before I have only fitted the halogen pir ones. When you first put power to the halogen ones they come on straight away and some have a test button so that you can set the light up.

The LED pir didnt come on when powered up but came on when I walked under them when it was dark last night, so the chinese ones do work, for how long I dont know, the halogen one I took down had been up at least 20 years but the white plastic where the pir is was cracking and breaking up.

Just got another Abus cctv camera to fit then that should cover the suspect areas where the burglars have been seen lurking.

Regards

Hcc

6 months if you're lucky rovercoupe? I have 2 external LED (pir controlled) lights that have been there at least 3 years and never missed a beat (cheap Chinese units) and ,after redecorating our kitchen 4 years ago, I bought a pack of 10 LED GU10 bulbs from china (via Ebay) for about a tenner and only one has , so far, broken.

Really! The older units with external driver on the back were great, the chinese have recently been using drivers and leds built into one board making a skinnier floodlight and they are patethic, i now search out for the oldest stock i can find. I have gone through x4 150w, x6 20w flat led floodlights that all lasted under 6 months, some lasted 2 weeks! I refuse to fit cheap lights in hard to reach areas now as i end up losing money having to replace them at my cost.