CCTV Advice

Joshua1993

Evening everyone,

I've took the plunge and finally ordered some equipment to setup a single camera for my property, since the past few weeks it would have been useful to have one.... please don't ask :lol:

I've ordered the following things which seem to have been the best considering I am on a very tight budget:

Camera (2.8mm lens): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131591813713?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

NVR: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191765191497?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hard drive: http://www.awd-it.co.uk/western-digital-1tb-wd10purx-purple-sata-3.5-hard-drive-64mb-cache.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwpfC5BRCT1sKW2qzwqE0SJABkKFKRzZkg3eUPxUS5_I8rAYyTezbJ4biJ4-sSF5pd9qaTtxoCULrw_wcB

I am aware the NVR only records at 2mp and the camera is 4mp but I think the quality will be adequate. I've spent around £140, if I opted for a better NVR it would have cost around £220.

All I need now is a power cable for the camera since I won't be using poe.

I haven't received anything yet however if anyone has any advice on setting it up or has a similar setup it would be great to hear from you.

Edited by Joshua1993

Most camera system are easy to set up. If you use the proper camera cable it has the video and power leads together so you can put the power pack with the recorder. That way it keeps everything in one place.

Mark.

Thanks Mark.

It's actually a IP camera, so wireless connection to the NVR and just needs power.

Unfortunately it's not like a kit, the parts I've ordered are Hikvision chinese items with modified firmware hence why they are so cheap. The camera alone would be over £100 in the UK.

From what I have heard they shouldn't be too difficult to set up with a little knowledge but I guess I will soon find out.

Regards,

Joshua

Edited by Joshua1993

I've not had anything to do with the iP cameras so can't be of much help. With my dad's camera system you needed a static ip address to view it from anywhere, but there are websites that you can use to get round this.

Mark

I see, yeah that makes sense.

I think that you should have asked the advice before buying.

I have had advice already from several knowledgeable people which I have taken into account.

Is there any particular reason you say this? Have you seen something from with the items I have purchased?

I am quite a techie, I studied IT a couple of years ago and I've dabbed with electronics before so I think I should be okay. I was posting just to see if I am missing anything obvious or to see if anyone had a simular setup and how they get on. Perhaps my title isn't quite accurate, although I am also looking for any useful advice.

Regards,

Joshua

Edited by Joshua1993

No thats ok. you did your homework and I hope that you end up with a system that you think fulfills what you thought it would end up with. How close to the camera and ir is the area that you are viewing?

Thanks.

The camera will be quite close, maybe 5 -10 meters. I am going to mount it on the front wall of my house pointing down at my driveway. For that reason I have also opted for the 2.8mm lens option, as I tested it with a cheap camera that I already own with a 4mm lens and the FOV was not enough.

Ip cameras tend to lack in the night vision department so extra ir could be a good idea or the better option is pir floodlighting then it will record in colour even at night giving more chance of getting a useable bit of footage.

Thanks, that is an idea. I think I will see what the quality is like when it arrives before I order anything else but as I also need to record at night it is something to consider.

I ordered that particular camera because it has EXIR which is enhanced IR lighting so I am hoping that will be sufficient.