air rifle groupings

nderfel

bear with me please gents, i am new to this PCP game and its been years since i picked up a springer.

I am zeroing my new BSA ultra se with the pellets that came with it, RWS superdomes... Every 5th or so pellet seems to be a flier, not even a little bit but 6 inches in any direction.

any ideas, I know the rifle isn't regulated but the pressure is about 150 bar after I have finished so well within what I would think would be operating limits.

I have tried it with mod on and mod off, same thing

thanks

nick

Does it the group in exactly the same place before and after the flier? If so then your scope is probably not the problem, which leaves either loose barrel/internals, worn/damaged o-rings, damaged pellets, something damaging the pellets on the way into the breech or human error.

It's hard to diagnose but start by checking for movement in the barrel, mounts and anywhere else you can look. Then to rule out human error try clamping your rifle to a workbench. I would then examine each pellet and 'feel' if there is any difference in the way each pellet loads - changes in resistance or fell of the bolt. Then try different good quality pellets.

If it's still not grouping then it may just need a good clean and service.

There is probably a simple solution but it's sometimes hard to pinpoint exactly what it is.

Also definately try some different pellets just because it came with superdomes doesnt mean the barrel suits them.

Also what calibre is it as I know from experience that a lot of BSA barrel in .177 seem to adore Bisley magnums. I do have a rake on pellets in both .177 and .22 kicking around so if you want some batches of the common ones to try let me know and ill post you some save you buying loads of tins finding the right pellet for the gun.

Edited by Zetter

bear with me please gents, i am new to this PCP game and its been years since i picked up a springer.

I am zeroing my new BSA ultra se with the pellets that came with it, RWS superdomes... Every 5th or so pellet seems to be a flier, not even a little bit but 6 inches in any direction.

any ideas, I know the rifle isn't regulated but the pressure is about 150 bar after I have finished so well within what I would think would be operating limits.

thanks

nick

Try a different pellet, I have aways thought of Superdomes as a reliable pellet but the last tin I bought has been absolutely dreadful in three different rifles. It's as if they've skipped the sacred blessing stage, possessed by demons they are.

thanks

nick

you beat me to it i have same gun i brought new a couple of months ago and get same problem though my fliers are about an inch or so from group probably 2-3 fliers per 10 shot mag,

was going to put simular post up

colin

do you have silencer on it?....try without.../refit it may have to get another...had exact same thing with a scorpion

Same happened to me the other day. If you look down the front end on mod you might see grey marks where pellets brush the internal wall. I had two shots bang on and then a couple of fliers. Shot without mod and all was fine so bought a new mod and was good after that.

Also definately try some different pellets just because it came with superdomes doesnt mean the barrel suits them.

Also what calibre is it as I know from experience that a lot of BSA barrel in .177 seem to adore Bisley magnums. I do have a rake on pellets in both .177 and .22 kicking around so if you want some batches of the common ones to try let me know and ill post you some save you buying loads of tins finding the right pellet for the gun.

that's a very kind offer, thank you.. I will drop you a PM next week if that's ok?

you beat me to it i have same gun i brought new a couple of months ago and get same problem though my fliers are about an inch or so from group probably 2-3 fliers per 10 shot mag,

was going to put simular post up

colin

odd... does your action move in the stock? I was checking the obvious things earlier and there is definite play in the action in terms of being able to wiggle it slightly in the stock...

i have tracked my issue down to the mod... i am getting pellet on pellet groupings at 30 yards (the legnth of my garden) without the mod. stick it on and every 5th pellet or so is all over the place....

i can only assume the pellets are clipping the inside of the mod althogh i cant see any silver residue inside the mod

Was out today doing a bit of pellet type testing etc ... tried a good few types/sizes. Struggled to get a decent grouping using any. Turned out pellets were clipping the mod. My mate (Evo) repositioned the mod and retested , problem solved. I've felt a bit under the weather lately, so a big thanks Bob for sorting things. JSB Exacts 4.51mm like you suspected was grouping well. My now pellet of choice for the HW100 kt.

• 2 weeks later...