WHAT IS THE BEST SERIES LANDROVER AND WHY?

TONY R

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me a short wheel base tropical roofed safari in cream. I like that they don't have the bulk head behind the drivers seat so more leg and elbow room.

Skinny tyres that seem to grip no matter what you try to drive through.

If long wheel base one of the fully kitted out expedition series with the roof tent.

Nearly bought a forward control Land Rover in the early nineties but needed a bit too much doing and parts were not that cheap for them compared to a standard series 111.

Engine wise all would have to have a modern turbo diesel transplant I'm afraid.

This is so much of an issue with LRs i must say, that middle bulkhead is anoying esspecialy on long runs.

Its a Hilux. :) I did love my td5 when it was working and it was not too hot, too cold too wet or I had to go far.

And yet the Aussie off road sites rate them no better than anything else, including LR. Too many folk in the UK believe advertising hype ............. a 4x4 for the gullible I suppose :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me, an 86" better proportioned than the 88 (always looked "odd), more room than an 80", 2ltr engine and a dash you can put stuff in. Had a few, had a few of most of them actually but always had a soft spot for the 86"

And yet the Aussie off road sites rate them no better than anything else, including LR. Too many folk in the UK believe advertising hype ............. a 4x4 for the gullible I suppose :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me, an 86" better proportioned than the 88 (always looked "odd), more room than an 80", 2ltr engine and a dash you can put stuff in. Had a few, had a few of most of them actually but always had a soft spot for the 86" :lol:

Come on play nice you know your so wrong about TOYOTAS But its not for here. :lol: :lol:

Back to series LRS i have to admit i knew 86s existed but i have never seen one not even in pictures i can remember. Any pictures cof them. ? It does sound a more practical size if the room is needed/

Edited by TONY R

Come on play nice you know your so wrong about TOYOTAS But its not for here.

Back to series LRS i have to admit i knew 86s existed but i have never seen one not even in pictures i can remember. Any pictures cof them. ? It does sound a more practical size if the room is needed/

There's probably more (or used to be) 86's about than 80's. They put 6" in the back to make the 86 then another 2" in the front to make the 88 series1. The 88 looks out of proportion, the wing section behind the front wheels is too long (2" too long). It was done in order to fit the upcoming 2ltr diesel.

Ref the Yota's, you KNOW I'm right, only have to check the Aussie sites :lol: Should have a sticker on the back " A 4x4 for the gullible" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love the truck ditchman lets see some more from you guys. I may moan about mine but still love them to bits yes lots of bits.

Do Toyota's actually have oil in them? :)

Yes but they dont leak it, i had a sump yes a sump on an old "LT turbo in a series 70 Land cruiser 2 literaly rot through from the outside obviously and it started leaking. :lol: :lol: Not kidding that acctualy happened.

Here is mine, although it is currently in pieces waiting to go into paint, oh and the roof has now gone and being replaced with a new canvas.

series3.jpg

Series 3s are ok but i must say the bonet and plastic grile and lights in the wings thing is not to my tastes, that heater duct in the wing is anoying too, the Series 2s have the high ground for me, but thats just my opiunion , and thanks for sharing yours here.

Why oh why would you remove a perfectly good roof to replace with canvas? :hmm:

Handy things canvas tops, if its not left any where that insecure and you have a open shed or garage to park in they are as good as anything. My first series 1 had a canvas top i loved it.

:lol: love them all except the two in a bed thing lol.

I'll not derail the thread any more after this post but just saying over here, the UK, some seem to have a rather unnatural view of Yota's. They "conveniently forget problems", or downright lie and say "never had any problems at all". Then two days later when you mention something they say "oh, I had that little niggle"

If you check out Toyota forums or foreign off road forums there's pages and pages of regular problems and design faults. Everything from weak axles through dangerous braking systems to badly designed cooling systems.

As you can see from the pics, Aussies rate Yota's as motors for blokes "in touch with their feminine sides" (Girly motors that break) So carry on buying them men, and don't get annoyed when the LR blokes behind you start sniggering :lol: :lol: :lol:

Series 3s are ok but i must say the bonet and plastic grile and lights in the wings thing is not to my tastes, that heater duct in the wing is anoying too, the Series 2s have the high ground for me, but thats just my opiunion , and thanks for sharing yours here.

I agree the S3 are totally **** but it will do until I find a lightweight I like. I have a rocky mountain metal grill to stick on it it the mood takes me when its back from paint.

GRILLE-1-600x600.jpg

Edited by Fuji Shooter

I agree the S3 are totally **** but it will do until I find a lightweight I like. I have a rocky mountain metal grill to stick on it it the mood takes me when its back from paint.

GRILLE-1-600x600.jpg

I would not go as far as to call it .... but the stylings not quite right for me. That grille looks good.

I'll not derail the thread any more after this post but just saying over here, the UK, some seem to have a rather unnatural view of Yota's. They "conveniently forget problems", or downright lie and say "never had any problems at all". Then two days later when you mention something they say "oh, I had that little niggle"

If you check out Toyota forums or foreign off road forums there's pages and pages of regular problems and design faults. Everything from weak axles through dangerous braking systems to badly designed cooling systems.

As you can see from the pics, Aussies rate Yota's as motors for blokes "in touch with their feminine sides" (Girly motors that break) So carry on buying them men, and don't get annoyed when the LR blokes behind you start sniggering :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everything has problems even Toyotas.