WHAT IS THE BEST SERIES LANDROVER AND WHY?

TONY R

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would not go as far as to call it .... but the stylings not quite right for me. That grille looks good.

Everything has problems even Toyotas.

Thank you kind Sir, at last someone who tells the truth :good:

And by the way, you probably have seen more 86's than you think, just not recognised them. From the side the rear wheel arch to B post is longer than an 80 and the fuel tank is higher (a problem on 80's with it grounding). They had a dash with glove box along and square instrument panel as in series 2 on. Other differences were wider springs (2" as against 1 3/4" on 80 ??, could be 2 1/4 as against 2"?? ) Bulkhead was fabricated as in later 80's, steering box mounting was stronger (again as in late 80's?), windscreen frame was pressed so sealed against doors better , etc etc.

Forgot a lot of it now as haven't really followed them for years, used to be a right nerd though about differences, years, model changes etc :blush:

Series 3s are ok but i must say the bonet and plastic grile and lights in the wings thing is not to my tastes, that heater duct in the wing is anoying too, the Series 2s have the high ground for me, but thats just my opiunion , and thanks for sharing yours here.

When they came out I clearly remember saying " They'll never catch on with that dash" How wrong can you be :lol:

Good thing about the series three heater is you can strip it down and fix another matrix to it, doubling the matrix area and increasing the heat output quite a bit. There was also another blower you could fit (more blow)

When they came out I clearly remember saying " They'll never catch on with that dash" How wrong can you be :lol:

Good thing about the series three heater is you can strip it down and fix another matrix to it, doubling the matrix area and increasing the heat output quite a bit. There was also another blower you could fit (more blow)

Now there is a project for me next winter rodp, its been a cold winter riding around with no window in the drivers side.

Now there is a project for me next winter rodp, its been a cold winter riding around with no window in the drivers side.

in '73-74...........my mate had a range-rover........the heater in that was so good you could keep your coffee hot on the blower vents...........anyone tried fitting a RR heater to a LR ?

We had series 3s at work back in the late 70s very early 80s, the dash boards were self distructing, bang them and they were not long before they were leaking that yellow crumbly foam stuff all over the place, then some clown would pick a chunk of the crappy black plastic vinyl type stuff off, and then it realy erroded away at the dash fibre then it dissolved undr neath then another lump of plasstic got picked out, very scruffy in not a lot of time, and the bulkheads were flimsey by comparison to the series 2s as well, they had good strong frame in them, dash was good too four bolts and it was out not like the series 3s cheapo clock pannel.

One other thing about the series 3s at work was a 109 van a diesel, the utillity sockets drivers side right hand side of clocks some how went wrong, there was a right old fire going on one day, wrecked the suround heater control area and the clock on the right, cant remember if it was a speedo or the gauges etc but it was jaeger i remember that bit any way it burnt it out, i got some red hot wire s when i was trying to rip it all out to save the car, was a right panic on at the time.

Quite cfunny in hindsight, best bit was this hose pipe, :lol: :lol: One of the lads had this hose switched on pouring water in to try and put out the inferno, an old guy Brian allways remember him went round the back did not realise the hose was on, pulled it that hard straight out of the lads hand and the hose dissapeared round the back of the shed, then old Brian emerges victorious :lol: :lol: Proudly anouncing the fact he has the hose boys. :lol: :lol:

I dont know perhaps you had to be there but once we got the fire outr, man did we laugh, poor old Bri he was salt of the eartgh he was do owt for you one of them sorts. .

Had my old series 2 door tops on honda CB 250 valve springs cup washers and two R clips each side, , fast to get off for foxing see. Was ok up to about 55 then the door tops started flapping a bit, the wife used to laugh and say it was trying hard to get airborne. :lol: :lol:

Had my old series 2 door tops on honda CB 250 valve springs cup washers and two R clips each side, , fast to get off for foxing see. Was ok up to about 55 then the door tops started flapping a bit, the wife used to laugh and say it was trying hard to get airborne. :lol: :lol:

55, i would have no problem there then :lol:

I might not yet know a lot about guns and shooting. But, off road driving is something I do as I have spent most of my career as an exploration geologist working all over the world in some of the harshest terrain known.

The best thing for off road is a very basic Land Cruiser tray back 7 series.

The reasons are:

They are fantastically reliable and even if you manage to break them, are simple to repair.

They can adapt to have all sorts added. My last one had double hydraulic wheel cages, roll bar converted to hold a water supply with tap fitted. Long range twin fuel tanks, de-bogging compartment for snatch straps etc. Winches front and back. Fridge freezer. Electric pump and a range of other bits. High lift jack mounts.

Good on fuel

Not a lot that can go wrong as very minimal electrics.

Excellent dealing with bad / boggy conditions.

I might not yet know a lot about guns and shooting. But, off road driving is something I do as I have spent most of my career as an exploration geologist working all over the world in some of the harshest terrain known.

The reasons are:

They are fantastically reliable and even if you manage to break them, are simple to repair.

They can adapt to have all sorts added. My last one had double hydraulic wheel cages, roll bar converted to hold a water supply with tap fitted. Long range twin fuel tanks, de-bogging compartment for snatch straps etc. Winches front and back. Fridge freezer. Electric pump and a range of other bits. High lift jack mounts.

Good on fuel

I do agree with you TLCs in most versions acctualy are as good as it gets. The Hino motor can get some problems though big end issues are an often quoted problem, we did encounter this on one back in the early 20000 on a 92 amazon. Did a quick search on the nett found a web page WJs or WBs 4x4 something on those lines, the big end issue was outlined on there.

But do admit to being a big TLC fan.

No,

But I did own one ... And it was great !

Also had a 2A lwb, camper.

101s are something i have always looked at in a kind of awe, they look like they could do anything anywhere, but i never even sat in one, and can not imagine what it would be like to ride in or drive one.

they doo look the part though. And a quick search on google turned up this one in Australia,

Interesting little video, perhaps not for the pure collector types but it looks an interesting practical truck, a bit OTT perhaps for the uk, but it would still be pretty good all the same over here.

The reasons are:

Good on fuel

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but they're not even in the same league off road. You must have travelled to some very gentle places :lol: :lol:

101s are something i have always looked at in a kind of awe, they look like they could do anything anywhere, but i never even sat in one, and can not imagine what it would be like to ride in or drive one.

they doo look the part though. And a quick search on google turned up this one in Australia,

Interesting little video, perhaps not for the pure collector types but it looks an interesting practical truck, a bit OTT perhaps for the uk, but it would still be pretty good all the same over here.

They're not actually that good off road, they were designed as a gun tractor to tow across country. A Unimog will leave one for dead off road.