Cz 455 .22rf maintenance

oowee

You will get a million different answers to this as everyone does theirs different, my 452 which I've had for over 12 years has never been cleaned at all apart from the first inch of the barrel only when the empties start to stick on extraction. Apart from that it's never been touched and it's had over 50,000 rounds through it.

Cheers Steve. There doesn't seem much to it to bother cleaning at all?

I heard / read that Corrosion can occur between the end of the barrel and the mod from powder deposits?

It can, more so depending on what make of moderator you have. Also, never leave the moderator on the barrel, as corrosive gases can, and will, damage the barrel's crown.

My Brno is 40 years old . The mod threads were jammed solid and I'd swear it's never been cleaned ever. Their was straw in the trigger and it still shot 3/4" groups at 60 yards .

I've since had it cut and its even better . I cleaned it after redoing the bluing and that's it 2000 rounds ago roughly.

Rimfire ammo is filthy, you may find the bolt benefits from a clean around the pin and extractor claws, likewise the same breach area!

There is generally little need to clean the bore if you exclusively use sub sonic lead ammo only, if you use HV copper coated then there may well be more of an argument.

Brand new barrelmay benefit. In match shooting I clean every week. Older guns may have drinks in that the lead deposits fill in.i cleaned a second hand brno and it took over 100 rounds before it grouped again. I'll never clean it again.

Rimfire ammo is filthy, you may find the bolt benefits from a clean around the pin and extractor claws, likewise the same breach area!

There is generally little need to clean the bore if you exclusively use sub sonic lead ammo only, if you use HV copper coated then there may well be more of an argument.

When I was quite serious about .22 target shooting, I had a walther / lapua combo going that required regular cleaning.

the filth from .22s was impressive, would spend a few hours every couple of weeks with patches and jags, and then would spend many hours every couple of months using 'blue paste' that would strip the bore back to the bare steel. The amount of **** that built up in the barrel / rifling was impressive.

I don't bother with my CZ as the rounds keep the barrel protected and it groups well enough for what I want. I'll only clean it when the rounds get sticky.

Clean my Anschutz 1913 every 20,000 rds whether it needs it or not. Then I do have to shoot box of ammo it before it settles down; but it is 28 years old and has had @ 100,000 rds through it.

You should clean the breech face and bolt though because this is where a load of crud can build up. Friend of mine was having a bit of a job extracting cases from his match rifle and when we stripped the bolt we found that extractors were gummed solid and the extractor springs were rusty. He hadn't cleaned it in over 30 years.

It's one thing not to clean, but it's another thing to allow the rifle to become filthy and unmaintained.

G

If you want the best accuracy and life you have to clean and service your rimfire

500 rimfire rounds will degrade accuracy but it depends how well you steer it if you can tell

Bolts should be disassembled and cleaned also from time to time

Moderators should ideally be removed in storage but most don't and the threads should certainly be loosened cleaned and treated to a bit of anti seize grease

All i do with my Cz452 is use a pull through with a patch made from cut up kitchen paper towel with a little gun oil.

The Mod gets stripped down and cleaned/oiled after every shooting session. Ive seen quite a bit of condensation in there

on occasions and I wouldnt wan't that left in there.

I've had my 452 about 6 months and do the following after every trip. Remove the moderator, put a little Remington spray down the barrel, clean barrel and give the other metal parts a wipe down with an oily rag. This takes a few minutes. I store the moderator separately; take it apart every few hundred rounds and put it in the dishwasher.

I've had my 452 about 6 months and do the following after every trip. Remove the moderator, put a little Remington spray down the barrel, clean barrel and give the other metal parts a wipe down with an oily rag. This takes a few minutes. I store the moderator separately; take it apart every few hundred rounds and put it in the dishwasher.

Next time, before you go out;

Put some spray down the barrel, keep the mod off and fire off a round. Have someone beside you watching the muzzle.

In a club I was in, you'd always know when someone put oil in the barrel and didn't run a patch through afterwards as you'd get a belch of flame / smoke. Not sure if the spray will do that or not, might be worth looking at.

When I put oil in a barrel, I always run a patch on a jag through it to mop up the excess.

However, I've seen target shooters who never clean their gun shoot amazing scores and I've seen target shooters who always clean their gun shoot amazing scores (focusing here on target shooting as its pretty consistent).

Converse is also true. Cleaning of smallbores is really something that can effect the shooter more than it can effect the gun.

Next time, before you go out;

Put some spray down the barrel, keep the mod off and fire off a round. :oops: Have someone beside you watching the muzzle.

In a club I was in, you'd always know when someone put oil in the barrel and didn't run a patch through afterwards as you'd get a belch of flame / smoke. Not sure if the spray will do that or not, might be worth looking at.

When I put oil in a barrel, I always run a patch on a jag through it to mop up the excess.

However, I've seen target shooters who never clean their gun shoot amazing scores and I've seen target shooters who always clean their gun shoot amazing scores (focusing here on target shooting as its pretty consistent).

Converse is also true. Cleaning of smallbores is really something that can effect the shooter more than it can effect the gun.

This is great way of bulging your barrel as the oil can act as an obstruction. :oops:

G

Edited by Graham M

This is great way of bulging your barrel as the oil can act as an obstruction. :oops:

G

Thats the point - the OP is doing this with the spray, when you've the mod off you can see if this is acting up or not. The mod can hide it.

G

Actually, rereading this I stand corrected.

I thought the OP was putting oil down the barrell and then shooting, but the mod would hide the fact.

I don't think he is doing this - and like you, I don't like putting oil down a barrel and not wiping the excess before shooting.

My bad.

DON'T Do that with a SAK.

Being a Lazy ******, after soaking it for about 6 hours I just tried, the paint has dulled/removed to the extent the SAK needs a respray!

post-20848-0-61534300-1464069432_thumb.jpg

Note the different colour of the baffle stack on top, the tube didn't go in the dishwasher! Oh, and it hardly cleaned it at all, just faded/removed black paint to grey!

Edited by Dekers

Why bother, it can't be seen and I think the gasses tent to etch it anyway. The colour on mine has gone an iffy greyish colour, so I don't bother any more. I'll just pick up a new one when this one goes belly-up. A nice new one for an air rifle............................. swap it over and no-one will be any the wiser :whistling:

G

Why bother, it can't be seen and I think the gasses tent to etch it anyway. The colour on mine has gone an iffy greyish colour, so I don't bother any more. I'll just pick up a new one when this one goes belly-up. A nice new one for an air rifle............................. swap it over and no-one will be any the wiser :whistling:

G

You can see, its all the ring at the back and the small circle centre front. The Bumper blacking seems ok, so not to much of an issue now!