Importing and registering a car

Mungler

Ok, this is one for the wealth of PW knowledge out there.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 1960's fiat 500 whilst out in Italy and it should be delivered to my door step by the end of the week.

It has been deregistered from Italy prior to export and I know need to do the business here so as to get it on the road.

I am guessing someone on here must have imported and registered a car from abroad and so am looking for any steer. I know there are agencies that will do it all for £500 but it strikes me that if they can do that as a paper based exercise (i.e. they don't even need to see the car) then it's a question of getting the right paper, filling out the right forms and sending the lot off (with a cheque to the government) to the right address i.e. it can't be rocket science.

The car may come bearing its old Italian plates or they could have been removed - the car will nonetheless be deregistered and marked up at the Italian DVLA as "exported" and as so will have no identity. I guess that the starting point will be for me to get the car an MoT but how do you get an MoT for a car with no identity? It seems a bit chicken and egg. Also, I have no idea about getting the car insured.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

0_zpsyfzuaufn.png

Countless thousands of sevicemen returning home from Germany have done this over the years. If your average squaddie or RAF 'erk (me included) can do it, you should have no problem. Before DVLA when there were regional offices you were allowed just the one trip to that office to get it done. Now, I would imagine, if applicable, that one trip will be to the nearest MoT centre. On one occasion, I actually got the current year's registration letter on my plate for a 5 year old car but that's another story.

As above, we've just done it ourselves with an already-imported and owned but unregistered moped (it had only been used on private land).

We had the forms sent back twice and a conversation with the Slovenian manufacturer to get proof of manufacture date, but after all that, it's done and cost us £55 plus the road tax and a couple of stamps.

The DVLA are actually pretty helpful if you get through to a real person.

LS

As long as its being imported from the EU its not technically an import just a re-registration. You will need a new speedo and may need new headlights but you wont have to do all that emissions stuff. The interesting bit is to register it you need an MOT and you cant get an MOT without a registration number because it has to be input to the computer

That is a lovely car Mungler, my Mrs has driven me mad for one of those for years, was it expensive as they are crazy money over here at the moment if you can even find one.

If you have a 1967 Lambretta on the next shipment drop me a line please.

The wife has put her foot down and I've got to move it on!

As long as its being imported from the EU its not technically an import just a re-registration. You will need a new speedo and may need new headlights but you wont have to do all that emissions stuff. The interesting bit is to register it you need an MOT and you cant get an MOT without a registration number because it has to be input to the computer

I registered an ex mill landrover this year, they can mot it on chassis number, you send off form to dvla, and it comes back in about 10 days. easy.

Nice motor those. I worked for a Fiat dealer when those were still made new. The only car you can drive standing up :good:

And you thought your new motor, straight from the dealers, was driven with care and affection by the mechanics :lol: :lol: :lol:

i borrowed some dealer plates to drive my Porsche 924 GT Turbo into the country and then just registered it with the DVLA

Trade plates don't allow you to drive an unregistered, car or one with no MOT as far as I know. This was covered recently on a Mercedes forum and the rules are actually quite strict and fairly limited. Its one of the reasons you don't see them around as often now

I brought back a van from Belgium for a friend recently, changed the dial back for a mph version and now requires the dvla form to be filled out, straight forward as long as you have all the info to fill the form in!

Love it Nick, used to have the non turbo 924 years ago, great handling car for its time!

Ref the speedo if it's an old car, which I assume it is, you'll be able to take the speedo apart. print off a new dial in mph to your liking / taste and fit it in :good: Had a mate with a series one who's speedo was also marked in " 25 steady,30 fast, 40 really fast, 65 not in a million years" or such. Looked quite good :lol:

Nice motor those. I worked for a Fiat dealer when those were still made new. The only car you can drive standing up :good:

And you thought your new motor, straight from the dealers, was driven with care and affection by the mechanics :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember a time (1980's) when Fiats were imported through Southampton docks.

Then stored there until sold, some for years, up to their door sills in water.

They required major surgery before they'd even move, God help the "new" owners who thought their "new" cars came straight from the factory.

And I doubt that things are much different today, OK Fiat/Southampton have changed but others/elsewhere?