These may be one solution.

If I am to continue shooting it seems that I must obtain a semi auto for pigeon shooting. However I have not sold either my Winchester 20 bore nor my Miroku 6000 and until I do I will not contemplate getting another gun.

Talking to a knowledgeable chap the other day who has seen me shoot the suggestion was made that as I got on so well with my 12 bore I should continue to use it but with much lighter cartridges. These were the cartridges he recommended (and so did the man in the gun shop). At 21 grams they are very light and I am concerned that they just will not suit me but I am willing to give them a try. Jokingly (I hope) my friend suggested that I should limit the range I fire at pigeons to 20m.

DSC07126_zpsczctfmtb.jpg

They pattern really well, only tried them on clays and they do break them but not especially convincing, although much nicer cartridge than the 28g which are horrible. I'm not sure that they will kill cleanly especially well much further than that, have you tried the 26g imperial game? They are also very soft but kill very well 26g 5 now my 'go to' for light weight and poorly fitting sxs knock around gun.

I'm sure you could adapt and manage to kill pigeons with those {if you ever get the chance to try!}

Limiting your range will be the difficult part.

I think it could be a case of trying a few different shells until you find a good comprimise. I have used some fiocchi tt that were 24gms 7.5 [2.4mm] and they were soft to shoot and killed suprisingly well.

I hope to see you using the light loads sometime soon!

Edited by aga man

I've been using the fibre version of the Comp X for quite a while (due to headaches after shooting 28g) and found them good for clays, but, recently tried R.C. Romagnola's 21g and prefer them. Why not go and shoot some at clays to prove they work before trying them on some easy decoyed pigeon to build up your confidence.

7.5 at 35 yards has enough power to knock down pigeons (over 1ftlb) and at 21g and you will have similar number of pellets as using 28g no 6 (295 vs 286 respectively).

Don't worry about the cartridges, just shoot them.

What about a kick eez for your stock (gas recoil system)?

Edited by Stonepark

Comp x are very light on the shoulder. The Mrs likes them for that reason.

They break clays well at normal ranges. I don't know what they are like on pigeons but I'd guess they would work fine (taking the clay breaks into account) at 30-36 yards with a normal choke ( 1/2 or 1/4).

Do not worry about 21 grams not being up to the job, my Grandson is killing 30 yards+ clays with 18 gram 7's in his 28 bore and I have killed a lot of pigeon and game with 24 gram 6's in my 20 bore. Try giving Dave Izzard a phone call, his products for recoil reduction are superb. His company is Recoil Solutions and his products were developed by him to ease his neck and shoulder problems, he is a great guy for advice and you will not be given the 'hard sell'.

Comp X are a good cartridge, it's admirable that even with your years of experience and skill you are still concerned about the humane aspect of using such a light cartridge.

I am sure you will be just as effective as ever, at Burnt Norton you dropped birds with 26g carts that many other guns using loads of 32g - 36g hadn't. All those years of practice should afford you some small saving graces, and in the circumstances I would say this is one of them faced with the alternative of giving up for good.

I can recommend a beautiful (but not very good) physio, if you think that might help!

I use Comp X for the majority of my clay shooting, as they're such a nice low recoil cartridge to shoot. They're not the fastest shell in the world, but they do the job perfectly well (including long range clays) as long as I do my bit. I tried both 21g and 28g - didn't find much difference between them either in terms of kills or in terms of recoil, but I tend to use 28g now. Fibre wad. Give them a go.

I had a wood pigeon drift over me whilst I was shooting a few informal clays with 21 gram Comp X in my full choked trap gun last year. It folded up, stone dead at a height I won't even mention for fear of causing controversy.....

They are a brilliant cartridge.

Those are the cartridges we use for all our beginners. Nice and soft, hardly anyone complains about the recoil from them. They`re certainly capable of killing clays at 30-40 yards.

An alternative might be Gamebore Evo 21gm or 24gm. That`s what I used when I started shooting. Again they`re soft shooting cartridges and even in fibre they`re not too expensive.

I think they would be fine the hitting power would be the same as 28grm just less pellets in pattern

So go up one choke size I would use 1/2s to keep a good fuller pattern,if I'm wrong someone will put me Wright I'm sure

• 2 months later...

Do not worry about 21 grams not being up to the job, my Grandson is killing 30 yards+ clays with 18 gram 7's in his 28 bore and I have killed a lot of pigeon and game with 24 gram 6's in my 20 bore. Try giving Dave Izzard a phone call, his products for recoil reduction are superb. His company is Recoil Solutions and his products were developed by him to ease his neck and shoulder problems, he is a great guy for advice and you will not be given the 'hard sell'.

JDog, Not sure why you require a lighter cartridge but if it is to abate the effects of recoil on your body I thoroughly endorse Westley's comments regarding Dave Izzard's kit. I have the full Isis system on a pair of side by sides and they are miracle bits of kit. If you want some first hand user experience pm me or give me a call. Will pm you my number.

Best wishes,

Milo.