Rusty petrol tank help

FalconFN

I'm doing up an old mower that had been left out in the elements for a few years. The petrol tank (and carb) was full of bright orange water which I've cleaned up pretty well but I'm struggling to clear out the underside of the top - any ideas or knowledge to help remove flaky rust from hard to reach places would be much appreciated!

Also, are there any cheap but effective petrol-proof paint recommendations?

Edited by FalconFN

Take the tank off cut open a couple of steel cartridges pour in the steel shot and a pint of petrol in it , then shake the tank around it will clean it up fine in about a half hour or so if shakeing it.

If you want it super clean inside, add 9 parts water to one part molasses fill the tank leave it for a few days then add the shot and petterol again clear off the resxsidue with the shot, then keep repeating this untill it to your sattisfaction. But just steel shot and a little petrol is ussualy enough.

Edited by TONY R

If it is inside the tank I would remove the tank and put about a kilo of fine gravel inside it then fill it with some water. Then think you are doing a cocktail for about 5 min then pour it all out rinse the tank out using a hose then rinse with petrol and a bit of 2 stroke oil then let it dry out well Hamerite would be a good paint unless you want to keep it original

after trying coke and vinegar i chanced upon this method, used it on an old bsa tank to pretty good effect....

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

i used a cheap resin tank sealer off ebay after - just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter tho or, like me, you'l end up doing it twice :rolleyes:

Ditchman is your man for mower related knowledge

Tony and stogieman have it on the button...............

one thing i will say is......remove the petrol cock before you do it ...as sometimes they have a delicate gauze filter on that will be damaged................

I'm doing up an old mower that had been left out in the elements for a few years. The petrol tank (and carb) was full of bright orange water which I've cleaned up pretty well but I'm struggling to clear out the underside of the top - any ideas or knowledge to help remove flaky rust from hard to reach places would be much appreciated!

Also, are there any cheap but effective petrol-proof paint recommendations?

Can you pour some rust remover into the talk then turn it over?

Great, thanks. PW always has the knowledge!

I like the electrolysis idea so I'll give that a go first - then finish with a shot/gravel/petrol cocktail.

Would you not be better doing the cocktail first, to remove the big flakes before treating the rest with electrolysis? I'd be inclined to pour some rust converter paint in and give it a good shake

Look up janitol it's an industrial cleaning product it a bit like cilit bang,citric acid,we use it a work down rusty water lines. Remove tank fill up and give it a shake,then leave for a bit. Then tip in a bucket remove the carb and disassemble and put it in the bucket

When done rinse thoroughly with hot water from the kettle.

Great, thanks. PW always has the knowledge!

I like the electrolysis idea so I'll give that a go first - then finish with a shot/gravel/petrol cocktail.

Go for the gravel cocktail first then electrolysis afterwards. Electrolysis works best if the area has most the loose bits knocked off first.

Go for the gravel cocktail first then electrolysis afterwards. Electrolysis works best if the area has most the loose bits knocked off first.

Don't you just love how the merkins have to be told that there's a difference between washing soda & baking soda?

Strewth, I'd hate to taste some of their cup cakes!

:lol:

The great thing about molasses is its gentle, no abrassion or errossion, it just works away, you end up with a orangey gluck inside the tank, pressure washing inside as much as you practicaly can gets rid of this gluck eassily.

Emptying the tank of watter and adding a handfull of steel shot or and a little petrol, alows you to remove any hard to reach areas where the orangey gluck still lurks.

I use molasses a lot, it is fantastic way of moveng rust from parts without any physical work, and without any kind of damage , like sand blasting grinding etc, a whire brush or if internal like a tank, a little steel shot is all the abrassion needed to remove the molasses residue.

Removing barrel blacking with physicaly no striking off ar wearing of mettal is another time mollasses can come to your aid yet again.

If i have anything siesed, i just throw it in the molassses mix untill its free, its one of the most practical home brew multi use prosedures you can do.

It lasts about 6 months, once mixed with watter, i have some over a year old, but its at its most powerfull up to 6 months, you can add new molasses to the mix this boosts it in big tanks if you are on a tight budjet.

Edited by TONY R

The great thing about molasses is its gentle, no abrassion or errossion, it just works away, you end up with a orangey gluck inside the tank, pressure washing inside as much as you practicaly can gets rid of this gluck eassily.

Emptying the tank of watter and adding a handfull of steel shot or and a little petrol, alows you to remove any hard to reach areas where the orangey gluck still lurks.

I use molasses a lot, it is fantastic way of moveng rust from parts without any physical work, and without any kind of damage , like sand blasting grinding etc, a whire brush or if internal like a tank, a little steel shot is all the abrassion needed to remove the molasses residue.

Removing barrel blacking with physicaly no striking off ar wearing of mettal is another time mollasses can come to your aid yet again.

If i have anything siesed, i just throw it in the molassses mix untill its free, its one of the most practical home brew multi use prosedures you can do.

It lasts about 6 months, once mixed with watter, i have some over a year old, but its at its most powerfull up to 6 months, you can add new molasses to the mix this boosts it in big tanks if you are on a tight budjet.

what is in molasses that does this.............

what is in molasses that does this.............

Sorry i do not know what chemestry is involved here, i know it works and how to go on with it, use it opn lots of things, it lifts paint too if its not perfectly adhered, a little trick if you want a pannel bare mettal, just play a heat gun or blow torch over the paintwork, dont go as far as to carbon it just till it starts to discoulur then lightly score the paint with a sharpish nail or ascribe, do the scores in a square or diamond pattern about 10mm sections, then just play the gun over the pannel again, then leave it in molasses water mix 9 to 1 for a few days, you will be suprised how it comes up. This technique works great on motorbike frames.

• 2 weeks later...

A big thank you to Tony R, amazing stuff! I can't believe I'd never heard of using molasses before, and I can't believe how well it works.

I bought two tins of black treacle and filled a tub with the 9:1 solution and dumped the petrol tank and a whole load of rusty tools, bolts and spare parts in the remaining spaces - one week later and the rust has totally disolved into black slime. Tip of the year without a doubt :good: