First FAC rifle

Marki

Advice please on the type of rifle I should be applying for when I complete my FAC application. Primary purpose would be pest control, rabbits, squirrels etc at a range of 50 to 100yds. I was going to go for a .22 rim fire. Is this a good choice or should I look at others? Would I need to specify the type of loading mechanism?

Edited to remove some confusion.

Edited by Marki

It will be a .22 verses .17 post again, but for what you are shooting a .22 will fit the bill. Your 150yd bit is stretching it, but in right conditions and a good rifleman it is doable off a good rest. If shooting squirrels, take them on the ground. Just my humble advice.

hello, having shot air rifles for many years on vermin and asking on here and the uk air gun forum the best all round rifle i decided a .22 L/R would be my best option and that of the FEO advice to so i bought a CZ 455 with 5 shot mag and the new hawke rimfire dedicated scope, i only shoot to 100 yards max with subs but you can go 150 with the right ammo for rabbits but if i was after squirrels would use Z LANGS for short range work

hello, having shot air rifles for many years on vermin and asking on here and the uk air gun forum the best all round rifle i decided a .22 L/R would be my best option and that of the FEO advice to so i bought a CZ 455 with 5 shot mag and the new hawke rimfire dedicated scope, i only shoot to 100 yards max with subs but you can go 150 with the right ammo for rabbits but if i was after squirrels would use Z LANGS for short range work

oh as la bala mentioned a good rifle tripod/ bipod/rest will give the longer range a better shot.

Thanks for the advice. I'd originally considered 100yds as my maximum and only changed it to 150 because of my lack of knowledge. Thank you.

I've not really consider a make, I'd probably pop down my local RFD or Mr Bosher and see what I can get. I suspect that I'll have a fair amount of time between applying and receiving a cert ;-).

For a first rifle .22 LR is definitely the best choice. Cheap to run and will give you the chance to learn how to shoot properly. When you start out keep to shorter ranges until your entirely confident on your abilities and that of your rifle scope combo. As mentioned a good bolt action is by far the best choice and most of all enjoy it!

Personally i think .17HMR is great but not the best choice as a first rifle.

Thanks for the advice. I'd originally considered 100yds as my maximum and only changed it to 150 because of my lack of knowledge. Thank you.

I've not really consider a make, I'd probably pop down my local RFD or Mr Bosher and see what I can get. I suspect that I'll have a fair amount of time between applying and receiving a cert ;-).

22 rimfire.....forget 150 yards that is a v v long way for squirrel/rabbit.....50-60 yards more like it.I would think most squirrels shot in trees where air/shotgun are the answer.

as a 1st rifle 22 rimfire will be an easier option ticket wise than 17...

If it were my time again and I was prepared to reload I'd only buy one rifle. 17 Hornet. That'll do 150 all day long and then some, moderates as well as an HMR and can be reloaded to fetch the cost down.

If I were only wanting to buy factory ammo and shoot vermin like rabbits, crows, squirrels out to 100 then it would be HMR.

If you gave me a 22lr I'd tell you to stick it. Loopy trajectories, holdovers, lumps of lead pinging off into the distance, nah, sorry, not for me.

HMR or 17 Hornet are point and shoot. Little frangible rounds can richochet but are far less prone to it and tend to fragment on impact rather than mushroom into a lump, so you get little fragments zinging off not 40gn lumps of lead. That said, safe backstop and backdrop are always the rule of thumb. Think where it could end up before pulling the trigger.

Ask one question and you'll get a least a dozen answers...

Edited by mick miller

I got my first rimfire, a .22LR at the beginning of the year. I went through the .22LR vs .17HMR thing; the quietness of subsonic rounds in a moderated .22LR was appealing. I was initially disappointed with the ballistics of the .22LR, but have come to accept that every calibre has advantages/disadvantages. If most of your shooting is going to be 100 metres plus, then I don't think .22LR is the right tool for the job, otherwise it's great.

Am i right in thinking that the FAO...prefers HMR and 222.50 as they will not deflect as easy as a .22..................

just making an observation as it is a first rifle ...

The only reason people think they get more ricochets with 22LR as opposed to HMR or 22CF is that the bullet is so much slower, and the shot so much quieter, so you can hear the bullet striking ground and 'pinging' off. With the faster rounds you're still hearing that supersonic 'crack' when the bullet hits the ground and goes tumbling into the distance.

I got a .17hmr for rabbits and crow. Had it maybe a month now, put around 200/250 rounds through it and the longest shot was around 200 yards. As previously stated the point and shoot ability makes it a dam site easier to shoot. The only issue with the hmr is ammo. The only rounds I had that were bad in my rifle are Remington 17g. The v max seem pretty good in my opinion with maybe a couple having a slight split. Id personally go hmr, yes its more expensive to feed however it takes the guestimation out of it. Good luck with what you choose 👍

I got a .17hmr for rabbits and crow. Had it maybe a month now, put around 200/250 rounds through it and the longest shot was around 200 yards. As previously stated the point and shootout ability makes it a dam site easier to shoot. The only issue with the hmr is ammo. The only rounds I had that were bad in my rifle are Remington 17g. The v max seem pretty good in my opinion with maybe a couple having a slight split. Id personally go hmr, yes its more expensive to feed however it takes the guestimation out of it. Good luck with what you choose 👍

+1

I would have to suggest that virtually everyone who does field work has a need at times for a .22lr.

I would certainly suggest you start with one, and if, as ,when, you move on and find you need more, you will have a much better idea what to get in addition!

:good:

I got a .17hmr for rabbits and crow. Had it maybe a month now, put around 200/250 rounds through it and the longest shot was around 200 yards. As previously stated the point and shoot ability makes it a dam site easier to shoot. The only issue with the hmr is ammo. The only rounds I had that were bad in my rifle are Remington 17g. The v max seem pretty good in my opinion with maybe a couple having a slight split. Id personally go hmr, yes its more expensive to feed however it takes the guestimation out of it. Good luck with what you choose

Like I said masses of research to do! Sounds interesting.

What ever you decide on bud dont forget to apply for a moderator aswell.

Great advice thank you.

This, put in for both, .22 and .17hmr.

Another for this.

I'm 10years with my first rifle - HMR. It's a great round which I won't part with... but I'm renewing as we speak and iv requested to put a slot on for .22 as a dedicated rabbit gun.

If I was starting out again I'd put both on from the go.

I disagree with the comments above saying the HMR is not a good first gun. To someone starting out, the flat fire 'point and shoot' is much better then someone with no experience over/under shooting by miss-calculating the drop off, causing potentially a greater number of ricochets. The HMR breaks up on impact (usually!!) so could be deemed a 'safer' round for someone to learn with.