Posting an air rifle

I want to send a low powered air rifle via Royal Mail. I checked their website earlier and it states that 'low powered air weapons can be sent, but only through an Express48 service.

I've printed the page off to take to the post office tomorrow, and will see what they have to say.

According to the Royal Mail website, the air rifle must be taken to a post office counter, and has to go by Express48. I'll check for certain tomorrow morning though. :good:

Done it twice entry without any trouble at all. Just Make sure that if it is pcp that it doesnt have any air in the tank. You are not allowed to ship it with pellets.

According to the Royal Mail website, the air rifle must be taken to a post office counter, and has to go by Express48. I'll check for certain tomorrow morning though. :good:

hello, you can send from post office via parcelforce 48HR as far as i know from the airgun forum they all send this way and i have to.. cheers

Do they x-ray packages? I've sent a few air rifles over the years and not mentioned what was in them.

They certainly do.

webber

I just took one to the post office the guy asked what it was and I told him.

After explaining it wasn't a firearm he just accepted it no issues

Air rifles / pistols are still classed as Firearms within the meaning of the Firearms Acts.

webber

I want to send a low powered air rifle via Royal Mail. I checked their website earlier and it states that 'low powered air weapons can be sent, but only through an Express48 service.

I've printed the page off to take to the post office tomorrow, and will see what they have to say.

As long as you doint send it here FAC only. :whistling:

You can post rifles and shotguns (to an RFD) using the Post Office as long as you use a 24Hr service, they are covered under their T&C as "Sporting Firearms".

Unfortunately most Post Offices don't know their posterior from their elbow and will often refuse to send them.

Another PW member recently had two policemen appear while he was trying to explain to the counter staff that it was OK to post a shotgun :no:

Edited by phaedra1106

After a brief discussion and showing them the PO's terms and conditions they told him to go and post it :)

From Royal Mail T&C

Guns for sporting use

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation. Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Please see www.royalmail.com/business/prohibitedgoods

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Which means you can send them to an RFD, not to another FAC/SGC holder directly.

Edited by phaedra1106

What was the outcome?

FAC & SGC checked

Serial numbers checked

Royal Mail website checked

...same 2 PC's then went back to the Post Office & gave the manager, assistant manager & other staff "an interview without coffee" - a.k.a. quietly read them the riot act for not knowing their jobs & for not knowing the rules & regulations of the business they allegedly provide a "service" for

Oh - plus a decent sized compensation cheque & apology letter from the Post Office for their staff being as dumb as a bag of rocks!

As per Phaedra's reply - it IS legal to send guns in the mail - just NOT to another FAC/SGC holder directly

Parcelforce is ONLY for airguns - Section1 & 2 must go by Royal Mail services

Read the RM website

IF you have any issues tell the staff to call NETWORK BUSINESS SUPPORT - plus take in a print-out of the relevant RM website page, as the only printed guidance booklets/leaflets are vague to the point of only making staff confusion even greater!1

100% legit to do - cheap to do - plus even the Home Office & BASC websites state that this is still kosher to do - so the more that do this the less chance they'll withdraw the service due to lack of demand