Fly fish for coarse fish

welshwarrior

Although I've caught perch, pike and dace on the fly, the only species I managed consistently was rudd. A small dry fly did the trick when the fish were clearly on the rise.

Got very close to catching a carp on a dry fly a few times. I really put the hours in, hooked them, but didn't land them. It made me realise that carp behaving naturally don't just hoover up what's on the surface, they hoover the surface and if there happens to be some food (or bait, or a fly) in the way, then that will get sucked in too.

Despite being a fly fisherman for a very long time, I do realise that it is quite a stupid, and generally ineffective way to fish :)

Edited by Houseplant

I have also caught coarse fish on dry flies, anything large and bushy usually works for carp and smaller trout dry flies work for rudd.

Smaller black wet flies retrieved slowly have caught tench and any standard lures fished on a slow sinking line have been successful for perch.

I won't use the perch tactics in waters with pike, as I don't like using a wire trace on a fly rod, but you need one (IMO) when fishing for pike.

When fishing some of the big reservoirs, like Bewl, I have often caught more rudd and perch when fishing for trout.

Thank it perch orfe rudd trench and carp

hello, perch/orfe/rudd/ will go for a pheasant tail nymph with some silver in pattern long shank 10, carp can use a trout pellet fly on top water, or you can make yourself with deer hair , chub on river most same as trout flies wet/dry daddies are good as freddy said, my biggest chub on dry was 4llb although fishing for trout. river windrush

Over forty years ago I watched a young bloke pulling predominately roach/rudd out of the upper reaches of the Thames with a fly rod on a hot sunny day when I wouldn't have even thought they would be feeding. I have to say it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen done in the context of fishing. Never seen it done since

He obviously knew his stuff and could read the river perfectly. Plus he could drop the fly exactly where he wanted but he got a fish practically every time he cast. Not big ones and he just dropped them straight back in,

It can certainly be done if you have the necessary skills. I couldn't do it I know that

hello, what river? i use 7.5ft fly rod/ no 3 double taper line on small rivers.

It's the Whey in Farnham.

Well I don't have the skills right now but in my defence I was distracted by my 4 year old and is new fishing pole, who had lots of bites and with my help land a Rudd out of the river with bread as bait because I could get him maggots.

One of those proud dad moments until he asked if I wanted his help.

Well I don't have the skills right now but in my defence I was distracted by my 4 year old and is new fishing pole, who had lots of bites and with my help land a Rudd out of the river with bread as bait because I could get him maggots.

hello, oh a lovely river, should be some nice trout in there to if you look around evening time, i bet he was pleased, rudd can be very shy. deer hair carp fly can be bought off that web site i mentioned about 50p each. to many years ago my uncle/auntie lived in farnborough right by the airport? if i am correct he worked on the concord project.carbon fibre was one part then it was like string and he used to mend fishing rods, both like fishing. auntie was a great cook of pike oh those were the days :rolleyes:

Daf

I was pleased as I hooked a trout on a dry on the Dikler today; there were lots of mayflies on the water and I'd tied 1 on instead of my usual nymph: I saw the mouth open and close and the fish turn down, when it came to the net it was a chub

A bloke who shoots at AGL catches carp up to 15lb on a fly-rod and says it's like hooking a bullock

Kevin (you have my DT10)

Edited by kevin55

I'm going to Orvis in the coming weeks to pick up some more flies and broaden my very limited options, and will keep going. Little boy is still buzzing over catching a fish first morning fishing.

I've had a few smallish wild Browns out the river that I release back but I'll keep flogging the water until it surrenders and give me something larger.

I'll try the lakes soon to see what corse fish I can scare.

I regularly catch quite sizeable chub (~3-6lb) when sea trout fishing at night with two inch black and blue tubes. Meanwhile on the large still waters I have had good days catching pike and perch on the fly; indeed I have had a treble hook up of perch once on Rutland! Deer hair dog biscuit type flies are the DB for carp if you manage to get them feeding.

Lots of chub through there and some very big dace too.

You need to change your mind set when fishing for coarse fish. They aren't as aggressive when taking the fly and sometimes fish like roach will only barely pluck at it. With chub a good method is upstream dry fly in summer and if you dangle a small nymph off the bend of the hook New Zealand style you'll get bonus fish. I got good results with brown Woolly Bu99ers and fry imitations cast upstream and allowed to tumble back through faster water. Bloodworm imitations work great for perch, but the larger ones are far more wary than small ones. Twitching a bloodworm under a bung can work well.

Dace will take small nymphs and spiders. It is better if you can see the fly as they are so quick to take it and spit it out you need to strike very quickly. If you can see the fly you can often strike before the dace takes it and get better hook ups as the delay between you striking and the fly moving can be too much if you wait for a leader to move or see a take on the dry fly.

Harlington_Chub.jpg

DearneChub3.jpg

RuddorRoach.jpg

Dearne_Mini_Chub.jpg

Flounder-CloseUp.jpg

This topic takes me back about 60yrs. The answer to the question is yes, coarse fish will take a fly. Of course a big flashy fish imitation is not a fly but you can catch pike and perch this way.

I learned to fly fish on my local canal where large numbers of dace congregated around an outflow from a brick works... circa 1956. These dace would suck in and spit out a fly faster than you could sniff. I also tied my own flies back then and our hens and cockerels looked pretty scruffy after I had 'borrowed' a few feathers. I then passed my driving test and mother would allow me the use of the Ford 8 van we had for delivering milk to venture further afield and I remember on afternoon in particular, on the river Mease just outside Edingale. I had a heavy 9ft split can rod, silk line and some 8lb test nylon. Armed with some seriously bushy flies, I ventured down to the river and saw an elderly gentleman sat on his basket, soaking a maggot. I asked if he had any luck and he shook his head, which sank deeper into this shoulders. Just above his fishing hole I saw a disturbance under and overhanging willow and asked if he mined me have a cast there. A shrug I took to mean OK... I crept forward and cast a monster raving concoction containing half the neck feathers of mothers favourite cock bird. it hit the surface with a PLONK!! and floated under the willow. A huge hole opened up in the surface and my fly disappeared. About ten minutes later I had a 4lb chub on the bank after the old gent kindly netted it for me. I don't know who was more surprised, me, the old gent or the chub, but that set me on a lifetime of casting flies around the world. YES! get out there, there are still some fabulous chances to fish for course fish, grayling being the Queen of the streams, chub being the 'shaved headed yobbo'.

PM me and I will give you a pattern which will catch both course fish and trout.

Edited by Walker570

This topic takes me back about 60yrs. The answer to the question is yes, coarse fish will take a fly. Of course a big flashy fish imitation is not a fly but you can catch pike and perch this way.

I learned to fly fish on my local canal where large numbers of dace congregated around an outflow from a brick works... circa 1956. These dace would suck in and spit out a fly faster than you could sniff. I also tied my own flies back then and our hens and cockerels looked pretty scruffy after I had 'borrowed' a few feathers. I then passed my driving test and mother would allow me the use of the Ford 8 van we had for delivering milk to venture further afield and I remember on afternoon in particular, on the river Mease just outside Edingale. I had a heavy 9ft split can rod, silk line and some 8lb test nylon. Armed with some seriously bushy flies, I ventured down to the river and saw an elderly gentleman sat on his basket, soaking a maggot. I asked if he had any luck and he shook his head, which sank deeper into this shoulders. Just above his fishing hole I saw a disturbance under and overhanging willow and asked if he mined me have a cast there. A shrug I took to mean OK... I crept forward and cast a monster raving concoction containing half the neck feathers of mothers favourite cock bird. it hit the surface with a PLONK!! and floated under the willow. A huge hole opened up in the surface and my fly disappeared. About ten minutes later I had a 4lb chub on the bank after the old gent kindly netted it for me. I don't know who was more surprised, me, the old gent or the chub, but that set me on a lifetime of casting flies around the world. YES! get out there, there are still some fabulous chances to fish for course fish, grayling being the Queen of the streams, chub being the 'shaved headed yobbo'.

PM me and I will give you a pattern which will catch both course fish and trout.

I used to fish the Mease at Netherseal, freelining slugs for chub, the BAA stretch