Anyone still shoot with a single barrel shotgun?

treeratcontrol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I am new to shooting and currently I am using my fathers old Baikal IJ18 that he bought new in the '70's as my funds are limited. Does anyone one else still use a single, even if just for a bit of fun or am I the only one still using one as shooting friends just laugh?

hello, i used my old bsa single for crows recently, it is full choke but to expensive to get opened up, tried 7.5 shot, you do need to try on a pattern plate as can shoot high.

am I the only one still using one as shooting friends just laugh?

take no notice of what your loony mates think. Shooting isn't a fashion parade. there are loads of blokes on here that shoot single barrel guns. unless you have rake loads of targets coming over you and you are capable of hitting two moving targets then one shot at a time is possibly more productive. concentrate on one bird at a time and make the shot count. Keep another cartridge in between your fingers for a quick reload for a second shot at another target that might come by. Practice, practice mounting and reloading with spent cases with the crimp petals trimmed off for quick reloading with the second shot.

PS if you are a useless shot there ain't much point in blasting off a second cartridge up into the air in the vain hope of connecting with the target if you missed with the first one. It's great to come back in to the meeting and be able to show the game and say, X head for X cartridges. How did you blokes do?

Edited by fortune

Ha, pairs would be a challenge, although some times singles are still a challenge for me

I only ask as I have a fair few friends who have shot for years like their fathers before them and when I started out shooting a number of them said things like "I have an old single.....hasn't been used for years, I'll bring it with us next time we shoot if you'd like as you seem to like singles". So I just go me wondering how many a still out there unused and unloved.

Actually I have been thinking about buying a Greener GP after seeing one at a PW members house and really liking the look of it. Just as something a bit different for casual walked up shooting, rabbits etc.

Nothing wrong with a single barrel in my book!

Great guns Greener GP

I have 2 singles a mint Cooey 12 and a folding 410 Topliss with side safety like most old 410 has a few pits because no one cleaned them or had nothing to clean them with shot hundreds of rabbits with it Thought many times swapping it for a Cooey 410

Actually I have been thinking about buying a Greener GP after seeing one at a PW members house and really liking the look of it. Just as something a bit different for casual walked up shooting, rabbits etc.

Nothing wrong with a single barrel in my book!

hello, i had one back in the mid 60s cannot remember how much it cost, in the village a few friends were shooters and most had 410s single 12s or old english S/S that is until AYAs were being imported like the yeoman non ejector at £38

take no notice of what your loony mates think. Shooting isn't a fashion parade. there are loads of blokes on here that shoot single barrel guns. unless you have rake loads of targets coming over you and you are capable of hitting two moving targets then one shot at a time is possibly more productive. concentrate on one bird at a time and make the shot count. Keep another cartridge in between your fingers for a quick reload for a second shot at another target that might come by. Practice, practice mounting and reloading with spent cases with the crimp petals trimmed off for quick reloading with the second shot.

PS if you are a useless shot there ain't much point in blasting off a second cartridge up into the air in the vain hope of connecting with the target if you missed with the first one. It's great to come back in to the meeting and be able to show the game and say, X head for X cartridges. How did you blokes do?

Very true, perhaps I made my friends out to be worse than they are in my original post. They have been very supportive of me getting into shooting, the laughing was due to me still using my fathers old gun a year after I got my ticket, along with comments about farmers and Yorkshire folk all being "frugal".

A friend's father has lent me an AYA Cosmos which I really like and is much more refined than the Baikal, although it wouldn't stand up to fourty + years of farm pest control as well as the Baikal has. Friends have let my try their under overs, SBS and autos and I liked most of them, just haven't bought my own yet......perhaps I am frugal after all!

Have a word with the guy on this forum forget his name who sells second-hand SxS or O/U for about £40 upwards he even had a two for one offer a couple of weeks ago. You must be real tight if you cannot afford his gun's

Many a AYE have lasted ;longer than 40 years on farm use and still got many more to go

Have a look on the trade guns for sale found his name Wabbitbosher from Northhants, he does RFD as well to your local gundealer shop

Edited by ChrisAsh

Just had my Norica bolt action 3 shot out on skeet.

Managed a creditable 19 including the double on the Middle stand.

The second of the pair was coming on report rather than sim,

Beat some of the 12 guage guys so happy, now back to reload some more fodder.

I shoot best with my 1965 single baikal it just feels right,

I was invited roost shooting last year and was told not to bring my single as I would need at least two carts for quick shots as they come in, I took a sxs which i also shoot well with but all evening i never needed that second shot as quick as i was told and i reloaded another cart after each shot so could've easily managed with the single.

I have a leather sling on mine and find it very handy as I can leave the slip in the car and just hang it off my shoulder, its always my go to gun out of all of them. If you like it and shoot well with it then forget what your friends say, lifes to short to care what others think just do what you want to do, at the end of the day shootings only a bit of fun so don't get caught up in the snobbery of others.

Just to add I would feel very proud to be using my dads gun, treasure it.

Edited by smokinggun

I shoot best with my 1965 single baikal it just feels right,

I was invited roost shooting last year and was told not to bring my single as I would need at least two carts for quick shots as they come in, I took a sxs which i also shoot well with but all evening i never needed that second shot as quick as i was told and i reloaded another cart after each shot so could've easily managed with the single.

I have a leather sling on mine and find it very handy as I can leave the slip in the car and just hang it off my shoulder, its always my go to gun out of all of them. If you like it and shoot well with it then forget what your friends say, lifes to short to care what others think just do what you want to do, at the end of the day shootings only a bit of fun so don't get caught up in the snobbery of others.

Just to add I would feel very proud to be using my dads gun, treasure it.

Wow, bit surprised with the response on this topic. Didn't think there would be that many singles still in use. I like using them as they are light enough for me to carry for hours all round our small farm and the neighbouring woods and still be fresh enough to carry my kill or hopefully kills home with me.

I do very much treasure this old gun of my fathers even though it is tatty and has a value measured in pence, it's as hard as nails and a credit to it as manufacturer. Father still has his fathers per war BSA SBS which he says will pass to me after he is gone to look after.