Anyone still shoot with a single barrel shotgun?

treeratcontrol

My 1st shotgun was a Russian single barrel 12 bore bought for me on my 16 birthday when I got my shotgun cert (white linen paper) back in 1972. Still have it and goes out rabbiting and rough shooting as it has a sling and is light so while walking though the fields not so heavy on the arms (but does have a kick but always been use to it), and was taught that if a pigeon takes 2 shots its getting an expensive lunch.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first gun Was a w&s B/a .410 deluxe ( chequered) the second was a BSA 12 bore snipe. I traded these and an original mod 35 air rifle. A Webley.177junior air pistol. A 410 silencer and some cash to buy my first 12 bore double sbs. A new laurona. As far as singles go, I currently have a little folding skeleton stock 410 and A single Baikal 20 bore but I very rarely use them because I have many others to chose from.

Edited by fortune

Last year I took my Cooey up to Pinewood shooting ground and I`ve never received so much attention from other shooters. They were all reminiscing about starting out with a single barrel gun, asking to look at it or to have a shot with it.

It doesn`t come out of the cabinet very often but I am intending to try a line of DTL with it.

Hi, I am new to shooting and currently I am using my fathers old Baikal IJ18 that he bought new in the '70's as my funds are limited. Does anyone one else still use a single, even if just for a bit of fun or am I the only one still using one as shooting friends just laugh?

There's nowt wrong with the single barreled Baikal. I've had one in the safe for more years than I care to remember, and it has always served me well. It wouldn't be my first choice for clay shooting, though, although I have dusted one or two with it in the past! ;):lol:

Have a .410 hamer gun single, and i use a marlin supergoose 10ga some times, its technicaly a three shot bolt action, bbut its right handed bolt and me being left handed makes it a single shot, allthough i can get off a second shot pretty quick if the fit takes me.

As a yoiungster i used a BSA 3 inch magnum single barrel, these were pretty common wildfowling gun back in the day, if i remember right colin wilock town gun in the shooting times and various books, used a BSA magnum single.

Edited by TONY R

Hi

Still shoot a single

Just wondering what the scores would be if a clay shoot put on single birds and they were shot with a single barrel

Seems every stand is on report or simo pair

Conspiracy by gun manufacturers and cpsa

just a thought

All the best

Of

Some friends and myself have bought a secondhand Bowman trap between us and î can confirm that shooting 25 clays with a 12bore single leads to a bruised shoulder.

Have a .410 hamer gun single, and i use a marlin supergoose 10ga some times, its technicaly a three shot bolt action, bbut its right handed bolt and me being left handed makes it a single shot, allthough i can get off a second shot pretty quick if the fit takes me.

As a yoiungster i used a BSA 3 inch magnum single barrel, these were pretty common wildfowling gun back in the day, if i remember right colin wilock town gun in the shooting times and various books, used a BSA magnum single.

A 10 gauge single? Can't imagine how sore your shoulder must have been the next day.

I've still got a single barrel .410 and a o/u in the same calibre, the single is the one I reach for when out ferreting, it's a lovely little handy piece of kit of Spanish origin I think.

Also had a number of Winchester cooe, BSA and a single 10 bore bolt action ( strangled choke )pass through my hands over the years that have given a good and reliable service

Having a single shot does ensure you've got your aim right,

You know you've made into the big time when you've got a 410 that takes 3" shells instead of 2 or 2 1/2 "

Extends your range by at least 2 foot 😃😃😃

Edited by Patrol

A 10 gauge single? Can't imagine how sore your shoulder must have been the next day.

The marlin is a monster its weight helps with recoil quite a lot, ii did have a stevens single 10 hamer gun years ago, was basicaly your typical single american 12ga action with a bit of steel in the but and a 32 inch ten barrel on, it did not kick too bad and that was in the days of lead 2.25 oz winchesters .

Great guns Greener GP

I have 2 singles a mint Cooey 12 and a folding 410 Topliss with side safety like most old 410 has a few pits because no one cleaned them or had nothing to clean them with shot hundreds of rabbits with it Thought many times swapping it for a Cooey 410

The Cooey 12 was my first shotgun I loved using it.

Last year I took my Cooey up to Pinewood shooting ground and I`ve never received so much attention from other shooters. They were all reminiscing about starting out with a single barrel gun, asking to look at it or to have a shot with it.

It doesn`t come out of the cabinet very often but I am intending to try a line of DTL with it.

I go their next time you go let me know I will bring my Cooey

î can confirm that shooting 25 clays with a 12bore single leads to a bruised shoulder.

If this is the case then you have a problem with either the way that you are holding the gun or you aren't putting the stock into the pocket of your shoulder and you are not looking down the barrel with your master eye thus causing you to turn round and hold the stock out on your upper bicep. All I keep reading on here is about how guns kick like mule and people getting bruised. 25 shots with a 12 bore is nothing unless you are a child, young female or 7 stone weakling. There must be a YouTube video about how to mount and hold a gun. I will see if I can find one and put up a link.

Gill Ashe is a funny ole boy but he knows what he is on about. See where the gun butt is in his shoulder.

Edited by fortune

This thread has migrated from a question about who uses or has a single to getting beaten up by the recoil. But it is all valid to using the tool at hand. I've seen loads of people who get beaten up by their gun and most of it is caused by bad gun hold and mount. I can't put a link up at the moment but if anyone goes on YouTube and types in >> mount a shotgun, there are lots of videos to watch. Chris Baths and Gill Ashe are really good coaches.

Chris Batha >>

and Larry Potterfield.

I hope that these three links help anyone not to get beaten up by their gun and enjoy shooting more and shoot better.

Edited by fortune