"Today i am mainly doing.....

ditchman

job looks a goodun so far ditchman, how will you christen the engine when it is up and running?

atb

7diaw

Go and pick some migrants up...at 10/- a time......................easy money yeahhh

(its not my engine it belongs to my mate who is paying for the parts and supplying me with beer)

Edited by ditchman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and pick some migrants up...at 10/- a time......................easy money yeahhh

(its not my engine it belongs to my mate who is paying for the parts and supplying me with beer)

hee, hee i like it

maybe go for option 2 as the safest.

will be following as usual and atb with your salty seadog endeavours!

Warm the sleeve that covers the push fittings (they bond with age) & catch the 2 ends of the bullet connectors with pliers & twist gently to free

hhaa.............................cheers for that.i will get the heat gun out tomorrow....... :good::good: ..cheers Tam

Warm the sleeve that covers the push fittings (they bond with age) & catch the 2 ends of the bullet connectors with pliers & twist gently to free

yup ....did that worked a treat....all the bullet connectors are covered in verdergris...........i reckon this engine has been dropped in water and not dried out properly at some time...hence the bearings being rusted and the electrical connectors dirty..................then left on the floor for 2 years...then fresh fuel and away it went......for a while until the bearing gave up ................

I WILL CONTINUE THIS STORY WHEN I GET DELIVERY OF THE BEARINGS.......

simple question...............

on the last picture ...."why is there a partial chamfer at the base of the bore"

Edited by ditchman

Could it be to stop the Crank balancer clouting the bottom of the barrel/liner.

it could be if the crank balancer wasnt already chamfered.............................

(the reason is only my opinion...i found out by accident)

I WILL CONTINUE THIS STORY WHEN I GET DELIVERY OF THE BEARINGS.......

simple question...............

on the last picture ...."why is there a partial chamfer at the base of the bore"

To help you feed the piston rings in on reassembly

yup ....did that worked a treat....all the bullet connectors are covered in verdergris...........i reckon this engine has been dropped in water and not dried out properly at some time...hence the bearings being rusted and the electrical connectors dirty..................then left on the floor for 2 years...then fresh fuel and away it went......for a while until the bearing gave up ................

Glad to help out some one wiser than me :lol:

To help you feed the piston rings in on reassembly

spot on.. :good::good::good: ....the con rod and the crank are formed together...so you cannot feed the piston and rod down the barrel...with a ring compressor...so you have to feed the whole assembly from the crankcase end........................the closest description to it would be a "forcing cone" a guide that squeezes the ring closed onto the piston without the aid of a compressor sleeve..........................

dont why they bothered making a cylinder head............on one of the British Seagulls.....a TWIN CYLINDER....very very rare....(if you have one its worth a lot of money)...seagull does away with the need for a cylinder head everything is bored from the crankcase side ...the only thing that is done at the top end is a threaded hole for the sparkplug.......

Be sure that the ring gap is in the right position before inserting piston, needs to be in line with the champherd bit not the plain un champherd bit if you get my meaning.

quite right........there is a locating pin ...in the piston ring groove where the 2 ends of the ring must meet.....if you havnt got it in this position the piston will not enter the barrel... :good:

Be sure that the ring gap is in the right position before inserting piston, needs to be in line with the champherd bit not the plain un champherd bit if you get my meaning.

you can see how the crank is press made in one piece....and the impossibility of using a piston ring compressor ...and the ring locating pin...

post-11401-0-48865400-1465031195_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-95633600-1465031212_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-40968900-1465031229_thumb.jpg

Brilliant thread, I can see this going into a Viking like epic, ( Owner of Bonni, not the bearded ones!)

i bloody hope not :lol::lol::lol::lol: ...all it needs is a couple of bearings and seals and a good blast out...the bottom end is fine all i had to do was take the gearbox apart and clean all the grease out that had gone solid on the lever...and that works fine now.............

Just a little tip, make sure you get some fine emery and take any edges off the transfer ports. They can be quite sharp when bore wear is present (a used engine) and new rings will be the same (the old rings will be "rounded"). Last thing you need is a ring catching on a transfer port edge.

Just a little tip, make sure you get some fine emery and take any edges off the transfer ports. They can be quite sharp when bore wear is present (a used engine) and new rings will be the same (the old rings will be "rounded"). Last thing you need is a ring catching on a transfer port edge.

cheers for that RodP...........the ports are quite big and parrellel to the one and only ring..........compression was still good so it will be going back together untouched...the scratches on the piston and liner are from the stuffed bearing....unsightly...but still very servicable........ :good:

quite right........there is a locating pin ...in the piston ring groove where the 2 ends of the ring must meet.....if you havnt got it in this position the piston will not enter the barrel... :good:

Make sure that the locating pin is very secure in the piston (Loctite if necessary).

Many. many years ago when the only bikes that I could afford were Villiers-engine grey-porridge**, I omitted this step, and did not notice that the pin had gone walkabout. -"Wassat for?"

The ring snagging on the barrel ports caused a 30mph engine lockup and a severe brown-trouser moment.

It's funny how you eventually learn to do it right, assuming that you survive :lol:

** the term used in Motorcycle Sport to describe those awful Jameses, Fanny B's, Normans, Suns and anything else that used Villiers, or even worse, Piatti engines

Ha ha, my first "proper" trials bike was a Greeves Scottish (250 Villiers) , boy was that a heavy pile of junk :lol: Flipped it upside down in a ditch on one section, it took me and the observer to get it back upright :lol: Used it for a while then bought a brand spanking new slimline 250 Bultaco , that was like riding clouds in heaven :yes: It would do known sections in third that the Greeves did in first.

Edited by rodp