Summer piking

pegasus bridge

I've been spending what little spare time I've had over the last few weeks pike fishing, (nothing much to shoot!)

The vast majority is lure fishing, I just can't seem to sit behind alarms and wait! Had a couple of hours on one of my favourite deserted venues locally, had a fair few pike up to double figures . Went out last night for a couple of hours before dusk, landed 3 pike, this was the biggest - it's head was huge compared to its body which seemed very thin. I would imagine it would be a good fish when it was on form. Not sure if it's spawning related..

It fought like a trooper once hooked, had several bouts of airbone acrobatics before I managed to bank it

post-9454-0-51892000-1464638753_thumb.jpeg

I have to be honest I am not a fan of summer pike fishing I think it perhaps has a effect on pike stocks only second to the eastern europeans.

Each to their own, but if handled correctly and brought in without undue battle , I don't think it has any more effect than other species. pike are more susceptible to bad handling because they tend to be the victim of it more often than other fish. I'm quite confident with my pike handling👍

Each to their own, but if handled correctly and brought in without undue battle , I don't think it has any more effect than other species. pike are more susceptible to bad handling because they tend to be the victim of it more often than other fish. I'm quite confident with my pike handling

Its not just the handling , its the fighting like a trooper that you speak of , they do not know when to give up and in warmer water when the oxygen levels are so much lower they have trouble recovering , the traditional season of 1st Oct was for a good reason I feel , but as you say each to their own.

Pinch them on the wrist of the tail. Shocks them In to moving and the rush puts oxygen through the gills. One thing I picked up in the hot months being an Ex trout farmer and have used it on pike to good success

EDIT-that top pike looks a cracker, good job 👍

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

Like I said , each to their own, I'm personally very confident in my plke handling , and understand the importance of swift return in the summer- I've not had a pike go belly up on me yet , and there is some excellent sport to be had.

PAC guidance on it >>

http://www.pikeanglersclub.co.uk/SummerPikeFishing.pdf

I am sure you do, but there are plenty that don't I'm afraid.

Like I said , each to their own, I'm personally very confident in my plke handling , and understand the importance of swift return in the summer- I've not had a pike go belly up on me yet , and there is some excellent sport to be had.
PAC guidance on it >>
http://www.pikeanglersclub.co.uk/SummerPikeFishing.pdf

I like to cast a lure from my boat on the Norfolk broads,In season of coarse, there are so many large perch around and its great summer sport, but occasionally I do pick up a pike, which I always treat with care and return carefully, but on light tackle I must admit they are a great fish to catch summer or winter, the only pike I ever had die on me turned out to have a full set of trebles and a wire trace in its stomach, I imagine the fight it put up on my light gear resulted in the hooks moving and tearing , but its time would have been very limited anyway,

Always sad to see one die, its a pity that at least one so called pike anglers didn't watch his line more carefully to avoid gorged bait.

The good thing about lure fishing is you are in contact with the fish from the moment they take,

Tight lines everyone and look after those fish. :yes::yes:

I like to cast a lure from my boat on the Norfolk broads,In season of coarse, there are so many large perch around and its great summer sport, but occasionally I do pick up a pike, which I always treat with care and return carefully, but on light tackle I must admit they are a great fish to catch summer or winter, the only pike I ever had die on me turned out to have a full set of trebles and a wire trace in its stomach, I imagine the fight it put up on my light gear resulted in the hooks moving and tearing , but its time would have been very limited anyway,

Always sad to see one die, its a pity that at least one so called pike anglers didn't watch his line more carefully to avoid gorged bait.

The good thing about lure fishing is you are in contact with the fish from the moment they take,

Tight lines everyone and look after those fish. :yes::yes:

But you admit to using light tackle yourself.

Step up your gear,don't play the thing for ten minutes.

• 1 month later...