Own pigs / bacon / rashers

iano

Not sure if this is the right place, but as we now have some land (cattle and horses on it), we are thinking about getting a couple of pigs to raise and butcher.

Does anyone here do this themselves? Looking to get some advice on the practicalities of it.

We cure our own bacon, but would like like to source the meat ourselves and make our own sausages.

If you do your own slaughter and butchery 'at home' then it is illegal for you to supply anyone apart from your immediate household with the meat. Note that in law you must do all the work - for a slaughterman to come to your property to do it would be illegal too.

Far better to do what is called 'private slaughter', where the animals are slaughtered at an approved slaughterhouse, and the carcass (or jointed carcass) is provided back to you. You can then sell some of the meat, provide it to friends, etc.

EDIT : just seen you are in Ireland. Different laws may well apply. You need to get in touch with the appropriate authority to yourself to find out.

Edited by robbiep

There are a few of us that raise pigs on here. I normally do 2 or 3 at a time and keep the meat mostly for my family. I also use it as a thank you when someone has gone out of their way to help with something. I barter some pork for lamb and beef from friends who raise those animals otherwise you can get porked out (not sure I like the sound of that). You will never taste better pork than the stuff you raise yourself.

Ask away any questions and I am sure you will get the right answers.

If you do your own slaughter and butchery 'at home' then it is illegal for you to supply anyone apart from your immediate household with the meat. Note that in law you must do all the work - for a slaughterman to come to your property to do it would be illegal too.

Far better to do what is called 'private slaughter', where the animals are slaughtered at an approved slaughterhouse, and the carcass (or jointed carcass) is provided back to you. You can then sell some of the meat, provide it to friends, etc.

EDIT : just seen you are in Ireland. Different laws may well apply. You need to get in touch with the appropriate authority to yourself to find out.

Apologies - when I said butcher, I meant presenting my own meat for butchering! We have the same laws here (pretty much), needs to be a tagged animal and needs to be slaughtered by a registered butcher.

We've just loaded our first two pigs into the freezer. Pretty straightforward process although we got the butcher to make the sausages (he picked the carcasses up from the abattoir). Bear in mind that if you want bacon, you need to grow your pigs bigger than normal and if they're boars, you could end up with very large, aggressive beasts. Our boys were docile enough but I wouldn't have liked to have been attacked by one as they were pretty powerful.

This was one of my main questions - what are the temperaments of the boars / sows like?

From cattle, the bullocks are actually pretty chilled and relaxed whereas the heifers need a lot more supervision.

Depends on breed I'm told (no expert, as I said, we've only done it once) but our boars (brothers) were jostling each other and fighting a bit. They are very strong and stubborn. Fortunately, they are so greedy that leading them around with a bucket of food is relatively easy but you're not going to manually stop them doing what they want to do (which is generally eating :))

I have only had one boar that was a pain and he was a Gloucester Old Spot which are normally very easy going. But on the whole most of mine go to slaughter before they get too big. At the moment I have a couple of Berkshire, GOS cross which I expect will be very tasty. They will be ready end of September I guess. No rules just when I think they are ready. Mine get fed a good mix of veg and fruit that I get free from the local greengrocer as well as pig nuts.

One thing I would add is make sure you have a secure area for them, as they get bigger they get very strong. I even had one sow who did not give a fig for the electric fence just walked straight through it on many occasions without even a squeak.

They develope great personalities and I still find it a sad day when I take them on their last journey.

One thing I would add is make sure you have a secure area for them, as they get bigger they get very strong. I even had one sow who did not give a fig for the electric fence just walked straight through it on many occasions without even a squeak.

They develope great personalities and I still find it a sad day when I take them on their last journey.

We have around a half acre field with a stream going through it. Was going to put their ark there.

We have around a half acre field with a stream going through it. Was going to put their ark there.

Mine have about quarter an acre, stock fencing with single strand electric fence wire at about 8 - 10" high stops them digging under and ultimately through the fence. Be prepared for them turning over the earth and making a mess and also you will stand and watch them for a long time and you will love it when you go to feed them, you call them and they come running with ears flopping makes me smile every time.

take half a pig off a mate each year,currently piglets v cheap @£50 each. 6 months happy hogging in a fenced wood,then local abbatoir and then local butcher does it all for very good price....hams/bacon/sausages......you'll be surprised how far a 40-50kilo pig goes!!

take half a pig off a mate each year,currently piglets v cheap @£50 each. 6 months happy hogging in a fenced wood,then local abbatoir and then local butcher does it all for very good price....hams/bacon/sausages......you'll be surprised how far a 40-50kilo pig goes!!

Thats what I do now

Got half a pig and done us for 30-40 meals

• 2 weeks later...

I have only had one boar that was a pain and he was a Gloucester Old Spot which are normally very easy going. But on the whole most of mine go to slaughter before they get too big. At the moment I have a couple of Berkshire, GOS cross which I expect will be very tasty. They will be ready end of September I guess. No rules just when I think they are ready. Mine get fed a good mix of veg and fruit that I get free from the local greengrocer as well as pig nuts.

if they can hang on till mid October i know a great butcher who could butcher them for you free of charge,

mind you he would have to bring his caravan down to you and stay on your site while he did them, and as it's such a long

he would need to stay at least a week lol

colin

if they can hang on till mid October i know a great butcher who could butcher them for you free of charge,

mind you he would have to bring his caravan down to you and stay on your site while he did them, and as it's such a long

he would need to stay at least a week lol

colin

A great butcher you say, hmmm interesting. What's his name?