Orion Gun Club, Brentwood, Essex

Brodie

I help run some of it! It got quite run down in the past but we are getting it back on track now.

50 bird sporting, skeet and dtl. Only have 1 skeet layout at the mo but the 2nd one should be opening up in the next few weeks weather permitting (I need to do a bit of welding)

Just turn up and have a blast. If your on your own we will be able to sort out for you to go round with someone.

Pressing buttons and shooting at the same time is tricky!

if you don't have a gun there are club guns you can use.

I used to go there quite regularly, mainly as a place with easy targets to introduce a newcomer to the sport.

I will not be going back any time soon. The last time I was there I witnessed two young lads walking around with a semi auto held horizontally with no flag. Most of the time you couldn't even see the bolt because he carried the gun in his left hand with the bolt against his leg. Two of my party actually hit the deck when he pointed the gun at them as he walked out of the stand.

One gentlemen was trying to trap and shoot his pump action on his own. While he was concentrating on pressing the button his barrel awareness was non existent.

Two young lads were shooting so far out of the back of the stand that they could have easily of swung through the line.

Traps were being filled without stopping the shooting on the adjacent stands leaving the trapper clearly in the line of fire.

And all this in plain view of the guy that runs the shoot without anything being said.

We actually left the ground early without completing the round it was so dangerous.

It's a lot better than that now and improving all the time. As I said it was going downhill but the last couple of years we have been getting it better and better. Unfortunately you cant fix stupid however if we see people who are doing stupid things they are being chucked off.

I was a member for 21 years it could of been a top club if it had been run properly.

When i joined in 1981 it had 2 Skeet layouts 1 Dtl and a large Sporting layout

But the traps kept breaking down every week. It did get better over the years but the chap who ran just did not give a toss.

His attitude was if you dont like it go away or words to that effect.

Shame really as there are not many clubs that are open every week.

Edited by samboy

At this very moment traps are being overhauled!

You should come down and give it another go! we will even get the canteen back by next year(hopefully)

and going to get toilets there too!!!!

Also getting the 2nd DTL layout working

There is much work to do there still.

But it will be good!

Please do feedback is always welcome!!!

It's quite busy not rammed as it used to be but it's an improvement

From a couple of years ago!

My main annoyance with it thou his only having 1 skeet layout.

Get a group of 5 learners on it and that's it for the day.

However shortly we will have the other layout up and running.

(Concrete bases were poured on Thursday)!!!!

It's hard to get a good reputation back after so many years of neglect and owners not being bothered,

But keep at it and improving, sort out the numpties and you will slowly get there,

Maybe put a sign up saying Auto's and Pumps must be in slips or flagged when not actually in the stand.

Good luck :good:

:shaun:

• 2 years later...
On 02/06/2016 at 20:56, Brodie said:

Anyone go to, or been, to this club off Coxtie Green Road opposite the old Chequers pub site.

Thinking of giving it a try. Looks a good variety - Sporting, Skeet and DTL.

Any opinions or info appreciated.

Thanks

On 02/06/2016 at 20:56, Brodie said:

Anyone go to, or been, to this club off Coxtie Green Road opposite the old Chequers pub site.

Thinking of giving it a try. Looks a good variety - Sporting, Skeet and DTL.

Any opinions or info appreciated.

Thanks

Not been there. Only just found out about it. Will try it soon.