concrete, one for the builders..

Archie-fox

morning all

Im having a new shed build at the bottom of my garden

i have removed the old shed and the old flag base, ive got the shuttering all done, im about to order the concrete to be delivered but not sure how much i need, the base is 8ft long, 6 ft wide and 6 inch deep

what amount should i order and what should i expect to pay?

cheers.

Convert it to metric and work out the cube as concrete is sold by the cubic meter. Your best getting one of the small concrete suppliers or a mix on site crew as you don't need much.

I worked it out at just under .7 of a cubic meter.6' is 1.82 x 8' is 2.44 x 6" is .152 =0.675 of a cubic meter.

Most minimum orders are one cubic meter so shutter a pad to stand on where your door is going to use the extra concrete.

Edited by figgy

You only need half a cubic meter, the concrete company's will only sell it by the cube and if you only need one there will be a big delivery fee. You will need to knock it up yourself or you will pay silly money for that amount.

0.7m/3 ish approx. £110 delivered round here.

If your not strong on your measures or not strong in back get a truck the mixes dry ingredients on site and they barrow it for you,advantage here is you can get (to the nearest barrow) what you need. approx. cost round here £125

Edited by Rupert

looks that way!! any idea the amount of bags dave?? im rubbish at this type of stuff..

If it was me i would just get a ton bag of blockmix and a half dozen bags of cement fella.There should only be around 10 barrows depending on how skittery so even with Belle mixer thats not a lot of batches.

Six inch deep is a lot of concrete for a shed base. Bear in mind that most concrete domestic drives and house slabs are only 4" thick.

But look how many crack and drop.

Preparation is key here regardless, and for the small extra cost whilst doing the job 6" of the right mix on a decent base works for me!

:yes::good:

Six inch deep is a lot of concrete for a shed base. Bear in mind that most concrete domestic drives and house slabs are only 4" thick.

Yea I was going for a 4 inch base but I may put a log store on the base instead of a shed ( I didn't use the old one) so I thought a deeper base if I have a heavy log store on it...

The depth per se isn't that important, the integral strength is, well compressed ground, a decent hardcore base, the type of concrete/additives and steel mesh may mean less concrete again.

There is a lot to consider with any job like this, far more than simply depth of concrete, but I would always favour a little more depth rather than a little less!

It is a balance of what you want to achieve/spend!

:good:

Not sure if this will help u or not but the way is visulise things like that.

Ur cube m3 is obviously 1m x 1m or 1msq plus 1m high, so i divide the hieght (1m/1000mm) by the depth of concrete needed to find how far a cube will go

so for example if u had a 10sqm area, if 100mm deep (4") u could get 10 slices of that cube so 10sqm of coverage, if 150 (6") deep ud only get 6.6 slices, so 6.6sqm of coverage.

Then to work out wot i need find out the wieght of the thing to a cube/m3, concrete is often around 2.5T to a cube, so 1 dumpy bag may be slightly short for wot u need, but it may not be that far away by time u add water and cement, but better to have too much than be short..

I'm sure builders will be p******g themselves at my basic way but it does help u visualise how much u need

Not sure if this will help u or not but the way is visulise things like that.

Ur cube m3 is obviously 1m x 1m or 1msq plus 1m high, so i divide the hieght (1m/1000mm) by the depth of concrete needed to find how far a cube will go

so for example if u had a 10sqm area, if 100mm deep (4") u could get 10 slices of that cube so 10sqm of coverage, if 150 (6") deep ud only get 6.6 slices, so 6.6sqm of coverage.

Then to work out wot i need find out the wieght of the thing to a cube/m3, concrete is often around 2.5T to a cube, so 1 dumpy bag may be slightly short for wot u need, but it may not be that far away by time u add water and cement, but better to have too much than be short..

I'm sure builders will be p******g themselves at my basic way but it does help u visualise how much u need

👍🏻👍🏻

Could you not just use 3x2 paving stones and some sharp sand would be cheaper by just leaving your old Base down

Could you not just use 3x2 paving stones and some sharp sand would be cheaper

It was all knackered mate...all broke up and falling apart, needed to be done rite..

I'd get spotmix or whatever you call it down your neck of the woods, where the guys draw what you need from the truck and barrow it in for you (usually provided it's within 30 metres of where you want to get the concrete to). I'd throw in a sheet of A193 or similar mesh to prevent cracking. You will pay roughly double per cube what you'll pay for a bulk delivery and in my experience they're not great at they're volumes.... they always seem to use a bit more concrete than you think you'll need.

Batching it yourself is a pain in the neck, but if you do you'll need about a ton and half of material all in (0.67 cube, density approx 2T per cube so 1.34T plus allow 10% waste cause guaranteed you don't have a 6" uniform depth over the area unless you've lasered it?)

Have you whacked in a layer of type 1?

I'd get spotmix or whatever you call it down your neck of the woods, where the guys draw what you need from the truck and barrow it in for you (usually provided it's within 30 metres of where you want to get the concrete to). I'd throw in a sheet of A193 or similar mesh to prevent cracking. You will pay roughly double per cube what you'll pay for a bulk delivery and in my experience they're not great at they're volumes.... they always seem to use a bit more concrete than you think you'll need.

Batching it yourself is a pain in the neck, but if you do you'll need about a ton and half of material all in (0.67 cube, density approx 2T per cube so 1.34T plus allow 10% waste cause guaranteed you don't have a 6" uniform depth over the area unless you've lasered it?)

Have you whacked in a layer of type 1?

Yea done that buddy, just ready for the concrete