gasps, judders and cuts out? HELP

AberFowl

I am having the same issue with my Volvo V50. This was diagnosed at the garage as a problem with the fuel pressure sensor.

This, unfortunately is all part of the fuel pump, which is, I am told, a £1,000+ job.

I am no DIYer or mechanic, but does this sound right?

LS

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

I am having the same issue with my Volvo V50. This was diagnosed at the garage as a problem with the fuel pressure sensor.

This, unfortunately is all part of the fuel pump, which is, I am told, a £1,000+ job.

I am no DIYer or mechanic, but does this sound right?

LS

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

What year is your Volvo? Petrol/diesel manual or auto?

55 plate 2.0 diesel

LS

On that marque of Volvo you could be looking at a number of things. The easiest thing to check first is the fuel filter. Change it for a genuine Volvo unit, as they seem to have greater surface area than the equivalent aftermarket filters.

Injectors are known to fail on these cars. Do you run it on premium diesel? If not, it's really a false economy. BP Ultimate or Shell V Power is the way to go.

Random vibration and engine performance reduction can also be associated with worn driveshafts and engine mounts. Ideally you would need to have the car plugged into a suitable diagnostics machine to see what codes are present. Get it up on a ramp for a thorough inspection of all steering and suspension components as well, if you can.

How many miles are there on the car? It's not unheard of for fuel pumps and pressure regulators to fail, but they are generally very reliable. Supermarket fuel can cause more problems than enough, but if you've always ran the car on premium fuel, the fuel system should be spot on.

When replacing fuel pumps, it's always best to buy new. It isn't entirely necessary, but it's better than fitting a second hand unit any day. I'm not sure about the fuel pressure sensor being an integral part of the pump. Normally the fuel pressure sensor is screwed into the side of the common rail, but the pump should have a fuel pressure regulator which is probably what your garage is referring to. I could be wrong as I haven't seen one of these pumps before. Fuel pressure regulators are normally held in place with two torx screws or allen head screws, and are a simple bolt off bolt on component without having to remove the pump. Historically this has been my observation with fuel pressure regulators, but I'm unsure what way Ford has constructed the pumps for your engine.

Edited by Cannon