junk in the trunk

the last engineer

post-1145-0-07028500-1465402635_thumb.jpg

just finished rebuilding my HW80 as it has been lying in the basement for over a year now, pulled out a bunch of pellets to try her out with and found these bad boys, any of you guys still run these pellets ??

right now the gun runs approx. 825 fps giving a 21.6ft lb (before the law Nazis get involved and shout me down as an irresponsible air-gunner, location location ) running Premier .22 hollow points @ 14.3 gr (cleaned and lubed)

running the promethius I recall plastic build up in the barrel over a few as 20 pellets, constant cleaning needed.

killer pellets though, hell of a penetrating tool for sure.

just curious about your usage and what anyone with an HW 80 uses.

TLE

I have the HW80k in .22 and used Crosman hollow point at 14.3 gr. It was ok but the rifle gave an almighty "twonk" on being fired and recoiled like a frightened mule! I have recently had a stage one tune by Tony Wall at Sandwell Fields Sports, (here in the UK), and I now use Falcon domed pellets at 13.43 gr. The rifle is smooth to cock and fire and with these pellets is very accurate. Although there is no mention on the tin of pellets I believe these pellets are from Air Arms. The rifle is 26 years old and as good as new. Personally I would not fire anything that could leave a residue in the barrel. ATB.

so what power was your 80 running with this pellet, the Premier is a Crossman pellet I think we use the same 14.3 gr slug.

what was done for the stage one tune up? parts, spring, dampener sleeve etc.

I am looking to get the old tired spring out and replace with the V-Mach tuning kit which will keep it running around the 21 ft lb mark, my old piston has had a few mods and is showing its age, I have built a .02" brass sleeve to reduce the spring slap noise but don't know how long it will last, or if there is material transfer going to take place. I stopped the use of plastic skirted pells as I hate cleaning the gun every time I shoot it.

thanks for the feedback, good to hear from another 80 fan.

TLE

attachicon.gif IMG_3003.JPG

just finished rebuilding my HW80 as it has been lying in the basement for over a year now, pulled out a bunch of pellets to try her out with and found these bad boys, any of you guys still run these pellets ??

right now the gun runs approx. 825 fps giving a 21.6ft lb (before the law Nazis get involved and shout me down as an irresponsible air-gunner, location location ) running Premier .22 hollow points @ 14.3 gr (cleaned and lubed)

running the promethius I recall plastic build up in the barrel over a few as 20 pellets, constant cleaning needed.

killer pellets though, hell of a penetrating tool for sure.

just curious about your usage and what anyone with an HW 80 uses.

TLE

Air Rifle Headquarters .... Maccari tuning kits .... brilliant.

When I purchased my 80k I suspected it had been "messed with" and may have been over the 12 ft/lbs UK limit. I took it to Tony Wall as he is well known for his ability to tune them. If you google "Vermin Hunters TV" with Si Pittaway he has several videos re Tony Wall tuned rifles, he has also done a video called "From rags to riches" which shows the re-birth of an 80 that he purchased. I don't know if you are aware but to have an air rifle over 12 ft/lbs in the UK requires a Firearm Certificate so it's important to make sure things stay legal or it could mean 5 years inside. The rifle is now so smooth to shoot it's like a different weapon than before. I hope this helps mate and good shooting with the 80.

when I was in the UK (Bristolian born and bred) I used many airguns as I grew up, my two favorites were the BSA Airsporter under lever.22" and my Weihrauch HW35E which I loved. back then it was all about power, our ignorance as kids to rules with airguns, always looking for better. as a young Engineer in training I researched every spring I could get my hands on for more umph...... only later in life you understand limitations and catastrophic failure with metal fatigue amongst other constraints. running a drop of Diethyl Ether in the tube is bloody dangerous.

here the law of 500 fps and below is considered ok to shoot without license, above requires a PAL (possession acquisition license as the law recognizes it to be a firearms) though I feel this is very vague as different pellets travel at varying speeds, the trap here is the RCMP doing checks with airsoft pellets that can travel at 650 fps 18" from muzzle then fall on the floor 25 ft away, rule of thumb would be get it checked and be sure, ignorance is not an excuse.

we cannot run moderators here unfortunately so sound is a problem, I am looking for every conceivable method of dampening the gun, all parts including the cocking arm assembly, we will see how this goes, I have time to invest and am really enjoying the return to air-gunning. I have the V-mach tuning kit coming in this week, will see how this works and go from there.

thanks for the response all.

T.L.E.

just received V-Mach tune kit so looking to strip and rebuild Friday for the weekend.

definitely changes to existing equipment, though spring sleeve is smaller wall thickness .020" new one is .008" new slips inside old as diameter in free state is 1.015" as opposed to .926" not sure if this will allow spring slap or not..... I can see this rifle being stripped and rebuilt a number of times over the next few weeks for continuous improvement. little mod here and there.

also looked at remanufacturing the piston itself, anyone done this? a better material with less galling properties and denser mass e.g. Be-Cu. incorporate a few ring grooves for centralizing the piston to the bore......

talk about a make work project, will run the chrono on rebuild and put up results.

T.L.E.