the Schultz & Larsen strikes again

since my last stalking post in April have been itching to get back out again with the s&c 243, had booked to go back up to Scotland and do a guided evening stalk followed by a morning stalk to hopefully get a roe buck. yesterday saw me double checking everything, sticks, gun, bolt, mag, ammo, spare clothing, money, card etc. jumped in vehicle lovely 3 hour drive up but got a bit concerned as kept seeing signs up around Carlisle saying heavy rain forecast. anyroads arrived at ground at 18.30 with weather fine, still and warm. off to quickly check zero on the rifle, on checking and shooting off sticks it was bloomin miles out. i have noticed each time i clean me rifle it appears to take ten or so rounds to come back to zero. was a little concerned but soon started pulling back in then at last 3 within 1.5 inch group of bull at 100y, happy days. i do have an open fac but unfortunately i do not have land passed for a 243 so difficult for me to just nip out and check zero.

the guide had told me that the midges had been an absolute nightmare that week and looked like it was going to continue. he asked me did i have a full upper body net and gloves which of course i did not and felt i was going to get a lesson in my inexperience when got out on the ground. he told me that earlier in the week one stalker had abandoned on foot as he was almost eaten to the bone and was tortured by them. he suggested that we use the vehicle to access some ground that could be glassed and if a beast was seen we would stalk in. this is not normal approach for him but said we would be eaten alive. out on the ground kept seeing the odd roe doe, some with fawns but no bucks. i caught a glimpse of one but did not know if it was a buck, we quickly jumped out of vehicle and started to stalk up a large embankment, within 10 seconds i was getting out i was savaged by the sheer hoards of midges of the like i had never experienced. what seemed like an age of misery we gained view of the deer which turned out to be a doe. quickly back to the vehicle and the rest of the evening carried on like this and no bucks spotted which the guide said was unusual as usually not far from a doe and chasing the younger bucks. got to 10. 45 pm and finished up. back to vehicle which i was staying in overnight, made the mistake of opening up the hatchback to get some things and approximately 1 million and one midges decided they would also like to share my duvet with me, Arrrgghhhhh!

Woke at at 04.00, grabbed everything and into guides vehicle as the midges were worse than ever, the guide said he was hoping a breeze would get up and put the midges down and allow us to get out on foot. covered a lot of ground in the vehicle stopping very regular to glass, seeing a few does again but no bucks. got to 06.30 and decided we would walk a higher bit of ground that usually gets a breeze, the last visit i was there seen a few. within a minute of been out was attacked by the blighters and could not see for them, in me eyes, nose and ears, my constant movement of my flailing limbs was certainly not helping. decided back to vehicle for some respite. moved off that bit of ground and driving along another forest road and suddenly guide spotted a buck up to our left but it was directly on the other side of a wire fence and front quarter was shielded by fence post. the deer was in a huge acrerage which had been deer fenced the year before as the amount of damage had been done to the forestry trees. he told me they had been trying to clear out all of the existing deer in there as due to be planted so game on if i felt confident of a safe shot. out of vehicle and moved along a knackered dry stone wall with extremely little cover, the buck did not move but had seen us and sensed something. guide said if shot was clear to lower neck to take but only if clear. onto sticks approx 70 yards on slight angle but could see clearly with safe backstop, away the bullet went and immediatley went down. walked up and a lovely 4 point buck, gralloch done and all good. done the last hour or so with no others showing.

thanks given and set off on the journey home at 08.30, got home around 12 noon and have just finished skinning and butchering, getting the hang of it a little better and quicker with much less waste. in the pic deer looks low down on the gym but moved up a little higher and wires moved out of way so i could work better. had to put a sheet up this time as next door neighbour wife was out in the garden, she is a good egg but no biggy to cover up as i work. all done now and chilling in the fridge.

message to self, order midge net!

only one of the pics has come out and looks a lot smaller than it actually is, he,ho.

post-72392-0-82288900-1465420804_thumb.jpg

Edited by 7daysinaweek