Spanish Water Dogs

bigbird

Hello you lot,

Can anybody tell me about Spanish Water Dogs please?

Anything would be useful particularly from someone who's had experience of them.

I've googled but the information is a bit vague, I know they have been used as hunting dogs but in what capacity I don't know.

Thanks in advance :)

Big Bird,

We have a Spanish lad staying with us and I've just asked him what their role is and he just told me that they are used on his family farm as herding dogs for cattle and sheep, when I asked him about using as a gundog he shrugged his shoulders and laughed! (Sorry it's not really a lot of help).

Hi Alison,

Just asked the farmer who owns the villa I'm staying in and he said they were used by fishermen to bring nets in to the boats. Small boats and small nets, they are not used for shooting sports here. Brother in law is getting an 8 week old puppy soon, have you got some yourself?.

Just asked the farmer who owns the villa I'm staying in and he said they were used by fishermen to bring nets in to the boats. Small boats and small nets, they are not used for shooting sports here.

Thinking that would come as news to folk hereabouts (USA), namely the Spanish Water Dogs from de Chesapeake Kennels outside Washington, D.C. I'm aware of the breed's work with fishermen but also, like the Italian water dog, the Lagotto Romagnola, that it's also traditionally an H2O retriever - as explained and illustrated here http://www.spanishwaterdog.com/retrieving_7.html. Again, that's the website of de Chesapeake Kennels, so should you have other questions, I'm sure they will be happy to respond to email.

MG

Hi Alison,

Just asked the farmer who owns the villa I'm staying in and he said they were used by fishermen to bring nets in to the boats. Small boats and small nets, they are not used for shooting sports here. Brother in law is getting an 8 week old puppy soon, have you got some yourself?.

Have a friend Who had two and was told the same very tight coat on them similar to a bedligton spanish breed.

Thinking that would come as news to folk hereabouts (USA), namely the Spanish Water Dogs from de Chesapeake Kennels outside Washington, D.C. I'm aware of the breed's work with fishermen but also, like the Italian water dog, the Lagotto Romagnola, that it's also traditionally an H2O retriever - as explained and illustrated here http://www.spanishwaterdog.com/retrieving_7.html. Again, that's the website of de Chesapeake Kennels, so should you have other questions, I'm sure they will be happy to respond to email.

MG

Hi Cracker,

The farmer said most people use Spanish pointers etc for sporting dogs in Spain, he doesn't know anyone at all who uses SWDs for shooting sports. Back home now so unable to ask him anymore about the breed, good luck with the training BB.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Dog is lacking any basics. Recall is shocking, homework given. Did pull on lead, doesn't now.

Worst of all its trying to herd its poor owners and is actually jumping up and biting at them. I think she needs more mental stimulation as she only does it when she gets a bit bored off the lead. Still very mouthy even for a 7month old.

Lots of work to do there methinks but we will get there.

I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy one that's for sure.

Sadly lots of people buy a dog for the way it looks rather than what it was bred to do. Just look how many on here do the same thing. Personally I couldn't give a toss if a dog looks like a stoat crossed with a electricity pylon so long as it does the job it was bred for

Edited by cocker boy

Scobydog how's your wee fella getting on? :)

Hi Alison,

He is awesome, I genuinely couldn't ask for more out of a working dog or any dog for that matter, and thanks to you for all your advice which has worked a treat on him. I'm sure you will sort out the SWD, I will send a piccie when the in law gets his puppy.

Atb S