Hampton Pier: heaven/hell?

DrBlox

My tribe and I are frequent visitors to Thanet and on the advice of Kentish PWer (or PWer of Kent - I can't remember which is which) I've been fishing from Hampton pier: free parking and nice(ish) pub at the end of the pier (HEAVEN). I quickly learnt that as the mudflat was exceptionally crabby it was best fished at night. So I took the kids down for half-term and the high tides were excellent for the latter part of the week: sunset around 21h00 and high tides from 21h30 to 23h00.

What normally happens is it gets decidedly less crabby about an hour after dusk with a shoal of doggies coming in to feed. I always thought that the crabs went to "sleep" as in the darkness they couldn't see predators coming with their survival instinct kicking-in over their feeding instinct. But all night long my bait was rapidly stripped. I know the weather was poor that week (cold due to a very brisk north wind) but did the crabs' behaviour change because there were very few predators coming in - that is they've all gone (HELL, which is, of course, all the fault of the recreational anglers not the commercial operators)? I've seen, in my 47 years, boat angling "go" from Brighton, Brixham and Weymouth - is this another sign (with the bass ban) about how bad English coastal fish stocks have gone?

Hi, have you tried Reculver just up the road from Hernebay, you get smoothounds and Thornbacks, this time of year, smothhounds on crab baits Thornbacks on fish. also try the deep water beaches of Deal the fishing is excellent, Deal Pier is a good venue.

... Deal Pier is a good venue.

But it's pricey when you consider the astronomical parking charges, the entrance charge per rod and the amount of lost tackle as it's so snaggy. I moved to Hampton from Deal pier. Someone I met suggested Herne breakwater - I'll try Reculver and perhaps I'll have to bite the bullet and move to Dover harbour wall.

EDIT: spooling

Edited by DrBlox

If you go to Deal and park on the road that goes up the side of deal castle it is free parking and just a short walk to the pier. I have fished the venue since I was a wee lad I am now 54. there are places on the pier that are not snaggy, bottom deck left hand corner cast towards Ramsgate clear ground. third shelter to the lamp post (going up pier) cast Ramsgate side clear ground. don't use any fancy rigs as it adds to problems, just a pulley rig or running ledger rig with a long hook length, don't waste your time with worm baits this time of year use whole squid or large mackerel or herring fillet wrapped on a pennel rig, you will need 6oz plus lead to hold in the strong tide run. we have had rays on almost every trip this year,

I agree the prices are creeping up per rod if your on a tight budget, but not much difference in price of a couple of pints in the pub!

the "prince of wales" Dover is currently shut. And the Admiralty harbor arm is always full of our eastern European mates mackerel bashing.

me and a couple of mates go most Fridays through the summer, you are welcome to join us if you are down this way?

I've always fished hampton pier top of tide and down with a pike Bung on a running trace and stop so it can run over the rock ridge both sides can be a hot spot for bass on rag and lug mix

Half a mile up from reculver towers there's a small channel 40 yard off the beach that's always worth a look and the bottom of the cliffs towards Herne bay are good for Rays close in

Good luck

Patrol

I've always fished hampton pier top of tide and down with a pike Bung on a running trace and stop so it can run over the rock ridge both sides can be a hot spot for bass on rag and lug mix

Half a mile up from reculver towers there's a small channel 40 yard off the beach that's always worth a look and the bottom of the cliffs towards Herne bay are good for Rays close in

Good luck

Patrol

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of fishing from Hampton Pier this week catching the evening high tides: as well as dealing with Carcinus maenas the carpark has an infestation of Pikeyus vulgaris.

Following some of the advice on here I went to Reculver beach, set up just past the Wantsum channel (I think) and was rewarded with four "alrightish" doggies (all well over 1 kg). It's very crabby.

• 1 year later...

Next weapon in the battle against crabs - arma mesh (right towards the end of the page)? The only downside I can see (apart from the £10+ a pop but 7m should be good for a few sessions) is that the squid wrapped baits would be quite fiddly to do and that the plunger-thingy would become very whiffy very quickly.  Anyone use this system "at sea"?