Specific slug data needed.

Guest cookoff013

Most likely AS could be used for slug. But under cip pressures and the variation you shouldn't expect 1500fp+

I agree with deershoooter, try and get more data, or test it yourself.

It's not a cop-out, but getting decent loads for the application.

If it's for plinking, fine, if it's for proper target work, use the slower powders, they get it faster, lower pressures, and penultimate faster flatter and better. I hear lots about guys shooting all manor of stuff out the gun, from rolled up lead to bolts.

A1 is a great powder, and it has a phenomenal range it works in.

I think we are in danger of over thinking this, from the first post they are required for practical shotgun I.e shooting steel plates at modest range not for precision target shooting if such a requirement even exists for slugs fired from a smooth bore barrel.

They are a Lee 7/8 oz type so a slow powder like AO or even A1 could likely result in to low a pressure for complete burning of the powder and the resulting unburnt powder could be an issue for magazine type shotguns used in practical shotgun.

AS or similar would be my choice for the required use, we are not trying to stop an elephant at 300yards.

Rb.

Ive no preference in which Vectan powder I use. I bought 2 tubs of AS but I can return 1 and get AO and compare. Getting data on making slugs is not easy. Just look at how many replies I got to my original request for information. Look also at the data from, say, Lee who insist that you use 1. The specified hull. 2. The specific primer. 3. The exact amount of a powder . 4. A named wad. Then factor in the fact that we often can't access these components and you see that any newbe, like me, is left to read and troll the Internet to find acceptable equivalents. Or ask on a Forum like Pigeonwatch. So, I can't provide data for AS in making slugs. Can someone provide it for AO? Or would they share what they use...........

• 5 years later...

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd resurrect and old one.

I've picked up a Lee 7/8 mould and tried a few home loads. Accuracey seems reasonable so curious to know if anyone loads these Lee 7/8oz slugs with easily obtainable UK components.

I've been using Viht N320, as I have it available and based the data on the Guiliandi data here: http://www.gualandi.it/en/tables.html

I know some will say that powder is too fast but there is slug data there. Still working out a decent load and wad and filler combination.

53 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Range is mostly going to be 25m to 10m, but would be interested to see how they would do out to 50m.

Many years ago I tried some spherical ball cartridges, which should not be as accurate as slugs. 
At 50 yards through a lightly choked SxS with no sights I placed four shots in a group I could cover with the palm of my hand, ie: less than four inches square. I was absolutely astounded.