Disposing of ammunition

Was given a handful of old Eley HV .22LR yesterday, glad I didn't take more of the hundreds the chap was giving away because they are splitting the rims if they fire at all (one ended up blowing the base of the case clean off). Squib rounds not so much of a problem in my B/A where I can look down the barrel but the chap trying to fire some in his 10/22 kept having to check with a cleaning rod. I'm not happy in trying to fire the rest off, even though plinking is good fun. Thinking pull the bullets, empty the powder and hit the cases with a hammer (wearing goggles & ear defenders) or is there a better way?

Pull the bullets(save for casting lead bullets) put the powder on your lawn or garden, good fertilizer and cases in some waste oil to kill the

priming powder. I have found difficulty these days in getting scrap merchants to take waste fired brass even if de primed and flattened. Not a

lot in 22 cases anyway.

Don't hit the cases with a hammer. The primer will not tap out and will still go off. Probably not do much damage but will make you jump.

I'm expecting them to go bang - I'll wear ear defenders. Just don't like the thought of live primer compound lying around

As mentioned, pull the bullet out, empty the powder and soak the cases in oil, which will destroy the priming agent.

That will do it, lets assume chucking them on a bonfire isn't a great idea!

You may well find your local RFD will take them off you as well!

Guest cookoff013

take them to your RFD and tell them to dispose of it. they have a legal requirement to do so.

or just hand them in to one of those amnesty bins

this talk of burning, dismantling, burying is reckless. please stop.

RFD should dispose of ammunition.

Why not just go to local plod and hand them in

As above,seems the most logical course of action

Why would that be, if your wreck of a car became dangerous would you take it to local plod and ask them to dispose of it?

Of course they may help in some situations, but the police are not there to deal with your inappropriate purchases, spare stock or faulty/dangerous ammo!!

ATB!

What I would do is contact a local shooting club and hand them in for disposal. Our club has a dedicated bin for unwanted live rounds.

If you take them to the police station you could end up with loads of hassle from the front desk officer not knowing what to do.