.243 advice

storsey

Hi guys ... Im usually concentrating on pigeons and rabbits but one of my essex permissions has asked me to take a few muncjac ... I've just got my .243 variation through last week and I'm off to buy a 243 tommorow . I have a relation that works at a local gun shop and has offered me a second hand sako .. 85 I think it's synthetic lovely looking thing but I really only wanted to spend around £500 .... Can you suggest a gun for that sort of money .... I just need the gun as I have good optics and a mod .

Also ammo I'm thinking just stick to 95 grain .... Is that about right for max 150 yards

Cheers

Edited by storsey

How much is he asking for the Sako ? is it including mount/rings or a scope ?

There are two Winchester model 70's on gunstar inc scopes for less than £500 , nice Remington 700 ADL on guntrader @£500 Game and country ltd

Avoid RWS

Edited by coldweld

Plenty of .243,s under £500 mine,s a P/H Safari 1200 cost 200 quid screw cut ,loves Fiocchi 100 gr and 105 gr Geco ,but beware 100gr Privi Partizan mine hates them groups like runny jelly .Thats why theyre so cheap theyre a marmite round.Try Gunstar and Guntrader but prepare for frustration as they dont always reply to you.Sportsman have some bargins from time to time ,Countryman of Derby very good,Norman Clark of Rugby and all RFD to your local Gunshop.Try Kent Wool grower,s as well they stockists of various brands atb

ANY ammo in .243 will stop a Muntjac, but you still have the legal requirements to fulfill.

Pal of mine had an old PH .243 which didn't look anything, and had a pitted barrel internally, amazed me how straight it shot.

If your relation in a gun shop offered you a Sako, I'd consider it carefully or ask him the same question you just posted here!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a relation that works at a local gun shop and has offered me a second hand sako .. 85 I think it's synthetic lovely looking thing but I really only wanted to spend around £500 .... Can you suggest a gun for that sort of money .... I just need the gun as I have good optics and a mod .

which is why he offered you something more expensive!

I personally would always buy privately unless you are getting a deal on extras which it sounds like you don't need

loads of .243 around

I had a £200 parker hale that shot inside an inch no bother at all

all you need

Tikka, Sako, are very nice and hold their value

some other brands are available :lol:

not all like factory ammo so always worth trying one out if possible

private sales will often come with either load data or direct recommendation of which ammo works

dealers don't always know

Hi

Phone Kent wool growers in Ashford, I was in there in the week, they have a sale on and have some very good .243 rifles new and secondhand at very keen prices

I'd give them a ring before you part with your readies

There's some good rifles to be had there

Patrol

• 4 weeks later...