renewal & upgrage to 243?

My renewal is due.

I currently have an 'open' license for .22LR. .17HMR and .22-250.

I don't want to give up any of the above.

LR is always sub sonic handy for the higher populated areas at night, HMR is great for longer distance bunnies and up-close fox, .22-250 for fox at any range, but I'm getting a hankering for longer range fox and heading into dear territory.

Should I just get the renewal then apply for the .243, or put it on at the same time?

My FEO is South Wales.

Not looking to pull a fast one, just avoid delay, expense and hassle.

If you get a variation later there is every chance they will want your FAC and cause you delay again anyway, why bother with a delay at renewal and another for a variation, go for it all at renewal?

However, perhaps a word with your FEO may bring you the most useful answer!

Edited by Dekers

Two schools of thought:

I have stocked up on ammo, so should be able to stand the lack of licence for a while for a separate application. So just get the renal pain over with first

As you say get it over and done with in one fell swoop.

Your suggestion to speak to my FEO.......

Makes good sense. However: our FEOs are ninjas and are very hard to get a hold of.

If you are putting in for your renewal in reasonable time them why not put in for your 243 at the same time. From what you say you have the need for 243 if you have deer on your perms or intend on the odd stalk.

On the down side you may be asked as to why you need the 22.250 as well as the 243, they are quite close calibre wise. I would suggest you look at 6.5, have a read up on the pros and cons of the 243 and any of the 6.5s, mainly

6.5x55 or the 260 Remington. You will be more likely to get the 6.5 for Fox as well, before the 308 gets mentioned as no doubt it will after this post.

All good.

I love my 22-250. As long as I don't mess up, it is stupidly accurate.

With ballistic tips (and zeroed correctly), it drops everything I point it at - first time, every time. Bought it from new and went through the ringer to get the one I wanted, so I'm loathed to swap it for something else.

I need to look a bit more into the 6.5 and 260s, loads, parabolas, availability, bla bla.

I spent a load of time deciding on a .22-250 over a .222 or .223, so I best get researching quick style.

If you have a balance of pro's and con's for the alternatives, I'd love to hear them, but no slagging off others opinions please.

(and keep them within the bounds of reality)

Really should not be a problem, certainly would not be with my FAC officers (Leicestershire) who are first class. If you have the ground then

forget the 243 and as suggested go for a 6.5 x 55 as it is a do all calibre and still head and shoulders above many 'newer' calibres, I don't have one at this time but when I did mine would shoot 95 V max sub moa and was mustard on foxes. I used 140s for deer and had no complaints from

customers :-) If your up for renewal you should be on an open license anyway although of course under the system you have to have a 'base' ground passed for that calibre.

Don't bother asking your FeO about what you are applying for. You have shown that you are competent and safe to have what you already have. If you have the ground and can show deer,then just apply and don't take no for an answer. If the FeO says that you have got to have dsc or be a member of the deer stalkers club or the women's institute or something get onto the firearms manager. All you have to be is persistent. Do it at the renewal cos it is free then and not a variation. Don't forget the expanding ammo and the expanding bullets when applying

Edited by fortune

Cheers guys.

Have put down .260

Fully expect to be pushed for 'lesser' calibre but will stick with it.

I've had an 'open' licence for 4 years now.

Haven't been a plonker. Reckon I can have all my perm owners state this and vouch that I'm consistent and safe, bla, bla. See my recent post re acquiring another couple of hundred acres.

My big fear is that last Christmas I screwed up with my car insurance.

I thought my fully comp that let me drive any other car, covered me for my new car - 3rd party.

Oops!

Tug - points - fine.

Appreciate the input and the lack of bitching ;0)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be 'blond':

I tippex'd out .260 and added 6.5x55.

I've been reading so much about both (softer on the shoulder, trajectories, self-load recipes availability, rifle availability) and had a last minute change of heart.

They do seem to be a much-of-a-muchness with each other, the the flavour leans to the 6.5.

Though I better put this right, before I post something further down the line and get pulled up for it.

All the paperwork is signed now (1 reference was being elusive), mug shots taken, etc, etc. and will be handed in tomorrow.

Fortune, I don't have any perms with deer on, but will bear in mind your comments.

Both of the FEOs I've met from my local are sound blokes, so fingers crossed.

PS just read this again and I remembered a last point. Dont forget to add a silencer for the rifle as they will charge you for a variation if you haven't got one or apply afterwards. even if you have sent it in ring up and add it or even when the feo comes out.