New Hearing Defence

Hi folks,

I'm looking at purchasing some in-ear hearing defence for clay shooting. I constantly find that I knock my current over ear ones against the stock and have to push them upwards.

So, I've been looking around and think I have settled on buying a pair of CENS ProFlex Digital 2 or maybe the Hunter ones. I'm interested on peoples views of these and opinions of other brands; comfort, noise suppression, cost, etc.

Please post your views.

Many thanks

Had my cens for around 5 seasons now, very comfortable, noise suppression not as good as over ear muffs but good, battery life not great mine are the smaller battery they have a larger capacity model now. A lot of money but worth it for game shooting not sure about clays as I dont do a lot. The only problem Ive had is the small brass battery terminal gets pushed in and has to be carefully teased out to make contact. The on off switch is not a definite click off which has cost me battery life a few times, not good when they get wet with rain.

I cannot shoot without hearing protection now as my ears were damaged when younger due to shooting and working in a noisy environment but these help when turned full on.

Overall they are good, hope this helps, Eddie

I knocked Cens for some years, but to tell you the short story I bought a pair and I have found they to be good in every way, I can hear what people are saying 2 pegs away on driven shoots and if someone shouts over at the other end of the line I can how hear them and when I pull the trigger they block the sound very well.

When you purchase them make sure to get your PW gift pack. It is all top kit and not to be sniffed at.

I have found mine very good. Comfortable and have always stayed secure in my ears.

As previously said the battery life is not that good but Cens do say the batteries once inserted do drain slowly even when switched off. The Rayovac batteries they recommend are cheap on fleabay.

Also, as has been said, the rotary switch is not very positive to turn off and the battery covers do seem to flip open easily although the batteries do not fall out.

Worth it if you want to spoil yourself. Only disappointment is they don't seem to make me shoot any better!

I have the Cens digital for game shooting and fowling .... comfortable, work well, and very useful to hear what's coming.

On the clays, I have some of the Cens Squigdy ones, and then I wear muffs over the top ..... blanking the outside world helps with concentration and with the higher quantity of shots, I like the additional protection.

Thanks for the info! :good:

Has anyone ever had problems with wind noise - talking about the ear defence before you all start!.. :lol:, or battery corrosion, etc? Do they give a beep if you havent turned them off, that sort of thing. Are the volume control ones better than the 2 settings type ones?

Any advice greatfully received. I'd rather be fully informed than spend coin that could have been better spent.

I can only comment on mine and they are only about 6 months old. Not had a problem with wind (although my wife may disagree) you can buy little wind shields for about £13:00 to help with the wind but I have seen no need yet. Not suffered any battery corrosion. If they beeped because they are not turned off it would get very annoying when they are in your ear trying to shoot straight, I have not had a problem with turning them off, a double check before they go away seems they way forward. I bought proflex 1's and they do all I need mostly walked up, driven, decoy, roost and clays.

I've used the passive ones for a year and now have the Proflex+ Digital 1's. I shoot clays and game and the passives were OK for both but I was having difficulty with conversations when clay shooting and hearing game and other ambient sound out in the field.

I've used the Digital 1's for clays and they work fine, can have proper conversations and gunshots are properly muted. I've not used them on driven game because I got them after the end of last season but I have used them for walked up shooting in fields and woodland with my ESS and they have been great for this.

If anything they seem to amplify sounds from a distance and you can get a bit of wind hiss when it's really blowing. A hat over the ears sorts this and doesn't have too much effect on normal hearing, they still work fully on gunshots which is why they sell the wind guards that fit over your ears.

I got the gift pack (same as PW) using my BASC membership and there's useful stuff there, particularly the dehumidifier. The extras that come with the digital versions, hat & torch etc., are ok but I'd prefer to dispense with those and have a cheaper price.

Battery life is better on the + versions and the units are treated with a hydrophobic coating to repel water.

Overall definitely worth the difference in cost for the digital ones in my case but the passive ones are adequate.

I've got the proflex digital and have had them for quite a few years now.

My first issue was having to have them remade three times to actually fit and provide protection but this was probably down to a bad mould.

After about 7 years of service both modules failed and had to back for repair, costing just a smudge over £100 to get done.

All in all, not too bad considering how much use they get. However, when all is said and done I much prefer my MSA Sordins over the CENS.

I have the MSA Supreme Pro-X, great in the winter for keeping your ears warm and your cap on when its windy, but, find that most of the time my go to is the Cens Proflex + 1's, they are just so easy and comfortable, plus they are always in the car glove box so if I nip down the road for a few clays, the Cens tend to get used, no problems with battery life or turning them on and off, if you go Cens get dayglo so you can find them in long grass