section7

kody

Recently had this with glos force.

Would not issue S7 because the ticket had been issued but the feo had such a back log she hadn't had time to deliver it.

Keeps there figures looking sweet but you have no ticket but is shown as issued on the system.

When i got a s7, it didnt give me much hope as the expiry on that was 13mths lol.Also s7 was only issued by Durham the day after the licence expires.Iknow this as i went into Durham asking for one the day my licence expired and was rudly told to cone back @8:30am the next day.Rang BASC & they confirmed Durham where following the correct procedure.

Edited by Davyo

Strictly speaking, the answer to your question is "yes". However, I found myself in the same boat early this year. Having submitted my renewal 10 weeks before expiry I was horrified to find that 10 days before the run-out date my FEO had still not received my `file` from Kent HQ and basically said, "Dont worry, sit tight". I rang my Firearms Dept and requested a Sect 7, but was told "No, we are not issuing them due to backlog". With 2 days before run out I again spoke by phone to my FEO, but the responce was the same: "No file from HQ, dont worry, guns do not need to be relocated to someone else or an RFD, we have a large backlog, but dont worry".

I then rang the BASC firearms department, who`s advice was: "After expiry ring again to the HQ, get the persons name & position; then demand a Sect 7. If that fails, ring us back and we will send the Chief Constable a "snot-o-gram".

The day after expiry I again rang the Police HQ and requested the persons name in the firearms department. This they were very loathe to do, and would only divulge their first name.

Again, I formally asked for a Sect 7 permit, insisting that this was my legal right, but was told the Chief Constable was rejecting all demands for this, as it would just increase the backlog. When I asked if speaking direct to him would help, I was told he was a very busy person and all firearms matters were the responsibilty of the firearm department. They backed up the FEO by saying there was no requirement to move my guns to anyone else for safe keeping. I tried quoting extracts from the `Firearms Laws` but this was just brushed off with the reply that I had no need to worry !!

I am now in a bit of a fix; do I go back to BASC and get them to get blunt with the Chief Constable and probably drop my name with the possible reprecussions. I had visions of a phone call to my FEO; who was evidently doing his best with the limitations of `No overtime/ no assistance`, telling him to get round to me and give me a hard time for rocking the boat. I therefore, rightly or wrongly, sat tight. 7 weeks later I got my visit from the FEO, who turned up with my new ticket, backdated to the expiry of the old one.

Edited by JJsDad

This shooter I know can't be bothered to do nought his section 7 ran out a month ago and I said get basc onto it he reply was f...k em so deserves to have guns taken away got no time for idiots like this

Don't understand this comment! If the applicant got his renewal documentation in in good time surely it is the issueing authority who are to blame? For not issueing a renewal prior to expiry? In which case it is their duty to provide a section 7 to ensure the gun owner is in lawful possession of their legally held firearms! on the expiry of the section 7, if the authorities still haven't sorted the certificate out, surely it's their responsibility to issue another temporary S7 certificate?

It is my view that the police certification authority (chief officer of police) are breaking the law in not renewing, prior to the expiry of the certificate or by not issuing a temporary S7 certificate prior to the expiry of the original certificate or the previous S7 certificate, by causing or aiding and abetting the illegal possession of firearms?

Calling a certificate holder an idiot and saying they deserve to have their property taken away, when they complied with the requirements of the law and he/she is powerless to influence things further.........is a little harsh to say the least!

Edited by panoma1

Surely once a certificate has time expired, to possess any firearm without a section 7 would be an offence.

To request a section 7 just email the request for one to the Head of your firearm section, you then have evidence of trying to stay legal.

Any problem coming back should be addressed to your Shooting Organisation and the Chief Constable jointly.

Don't forget that you can't possess any expanding ammunition on a section 7 permit, need to put in to RFD at your expense.

The reason they dont like issuing S7 is purly down to stats & performance.Every S7 issued is a bad mark in their book It shows that they are under performing and they are failing to complete renewals within an acceptable timescale.They are knowingly letting people posses firearms illegaly.Shocking to say the least,considering their job is ensure illegal firearms are kept off the streets.

Edited by Davyo

Don't forget that you can't possess any expanding ammunition on a section 7 permit, need to put in to RFD at your expense.

You know that and I know that and we know that, but I have yet to come across anyone who has been told this by their licensing authority when in possession of a S7.

You know that and I know that and we know that, but I have yet to come across anyone who has been told this by their licensing authority when in possession of a S7.

Agreed, it's a bit late when you do get one to discover a note under the ammunition section to see ....."No Entries"

We have a renewal time of 101 working days (as of yesterday) exactly the same time as a grant!

a change of address within the same county is currently 43 days!

I have always wondered as a sect 7 is authority for possession and not for acquisition what would happen if you saw the perfect gun?

and if you wanted to sell one?

We have a renewal time of 101 working days (as of yesterday) exactly the same time as a grant!

a change of address within the same county is currently 43 days!

I have always wondered as a sect 7 is authority for possession and not for acquisition what would happen if you saw the perfect gun?

and if you wanted to sell one?

You can sell but not buy.

West Mercia - I'm in there somewhere but at 167 days getting somewhat miffed, now it's working days so should be resolved by 7 Aug this year - that's 8 months since they received it. Last email said "please excuse these unacceptable delays" :hmm:

Timescales:

Shotgun grant application - 101 days

Shotgun renewal application - 101 days

Firearm grant application - 134 days

Firearm renewal application - 134 days

Variations - 50 days

Change of address - 43 days

General miscellaneous - 75 days

Transactions - 24 days

Please note all times are shown in working days :no:

West Mercia - I'm in there somewhere but at 167 days getting somewhat miffed, now it's working days so should be resolved by 7 Aug this year - that's 8 months since they received it. Last email said "please excuse these unacceptable delays" :hmm:

Timescales:

Shotgun grant application - 101 days

Shotgun renewal application - 101 days

Firearm grant application - 134 days

Firearm renewal application - 134 days

Variations - 50 days

Change of address - 43 days

General miscellaneous - 75 days

Transactions - 24 days

Please note all times are shown in working days :no:

Warwickshire used to be on the ball - I heard that is was West Mercia who were well behind, and issued the most Sect 7 permits in the UK due to the inefficiency of the Firearms Department. Now due to the great merger Warwickshire's resources were moved to Malvern lumped under the very inadequate West Mercia and Warwickshire is paying the price! - look at the FOI in regards to Sect 7 issues, up until the merger Warwickshire was just into double figures for each year, i recon they are now on this per week!! Mercia on the other hand were always into triple figures (every year)

On a side note, if i recall Wales was on 2 or 3 Sect 7 issues!!

If you have current SGC and FAC, and you say damage one of the certs or need a table 2 replacing or variation for whatever reason.

When you send in your cert for replacement etc, do you need a section 7 are you in illegal possession while the certs away?/

I have done this lots of times historically but the police seem to be getting a bit pedantic these days and dont know whats the law on this.

If you have current SGC and FAC, and you say damage one of the certs or need a table 2 replacing or variation for whatever reason.

When you send in your cert for replacement etc, do you need a section 7 are you in illegal possession while the certs away?/ No, because your certificate is still valid, whether you're in possession of it or not. S7 are ( or should be ) only issued as a temporary permit to possess once your certificate expires. If the S7 itself then expires, and you still have no new certificate, then you are in possession of illegally held firearms, even though you own them.

I have done this lots of times historically but the police seem to be getting a bit pedantic these days and dont know whats the law on this.

What is the situation when a shooting instructor has a gun break and wishes to replace it whilst only having a section 7 ?

Would it be feasable to sue his constabulary for not being able to work because he didn't have the tools of his trade available. Hypothetical but probable.

What is the situation when a shooting instructor has a gun break and wishes to replace it whilst only having a section 7 ?

Would it be feasable to sue his constabulary for not being able to work because he didn't have the tools of his trade available. Hypothetical but probable.

Similarly, can a gamekeeper claim damages if he cannot do his job unable to buy/keep expanding ammo?

One for BASC or especially NGO who must have plenty of potentially affected members