Left handed novice, right eye dominant, what to do?

1. Shoot with both eyes open and look at the bird. Think about it. If you point your finger at something you don't aim along it. Same with a shotgun.

I am sure that all the fancy add on sighting systems seen on shotguns may help in SOME clay disciplines but find an old gun and file off the fore sight and shoot with that and learn to instinctively put the pattern on the bird. Watch the demonstrations of shooting from the hip, they don't AIM along the barrel to do that.

You are correct you don't aim but actually you do need to get the lead right on the birds or at least I do on the shoots I go to and there are plenty of them. I am right shoulder left eye dominant. I pick up the bird and then close my left eye to take the shot but I need to close that eye otherwise I won't get the lead right amongst other problems. Each to their own but the two eye way does not work for everyone and it really isn't as simple as you state with respect. I do also shoot Fitasc where of course I am looking at the bird with two eyes, mounting my gun and then shutting my eye when I feel I am ready.

You are correct you don't aim but actually you do need to get the lead right on the birds or at least I do on the shoots I go to and there are plenty of them. I am right shoulder left eye dominant. I pick up the bird and then close my left eye to take the shot but I need to close that eye otherwise I won't get the lead right amongst other problems. Each to their own but the two eye way does not work for everyone and it really isn't as simple as you state with respect. I do also shoot Fitasc where of course I am looking at the bird with two eyes, mounting my gun and then shutting my eye when I feel I am ready.

Spot on :yes:

I've seen Sian shoot and frankly, I'd be happy to shoot as well!

And speaking of both eyes shut, at AC Sporting (where we both shoot) often you get the sun in your eyes, and I *swear* I did hit targets at station 2 on the skeet with both eyes closed! Just can't help it sometime... That says something about muscle memory, too!

Please read the books on the subject. 'Dominant eye' is temporary, especially in men around 40 or so. Dominant eye /changes/. Deciding to change your shooting style to fit isn't going to be terribly useful if your brain decides next week to flip. Your dominant eye isn't even necessarily your 'better' eye, and it can change depending on the light, tiredness level or anything else.

Could you elaborate on which books you're referring to? Are they proper scientific studies or alternative theories? I can accept that in some circumstances the non dominant eye might take over the lead function if the dominant eye's vision was temporarily hampered but I was always led to believe that the dominant or master eye is neurologically fixed like right or left handedness.

I have precisely the same issue and now use an occlusion patch on the inside of my shooting glasses. It works for the vast majority of targets with the exception of driven. If I had my time again I'd switch to shooting right handed to avoid the problem. Too old and set in my ways now.

Mr Potter has a similar issue but was taught to shoot from his dominant side. That was many many many many years ago now though :lol: