That time of year again. Elderflower champers anyone!

7daysinaweek

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the last bottle I have is better than ever and if we have friends in for a barbie or whatever I will always add an inch of something to the bottom of the flute before pouring the Pros or Cava. Sometimes it will be damacene vodka but occasionally I will use the elderflower and it always draws a comment as they cannow place that distinctive aroma and when told look in abolute surprise.  I have a very large bottle left so may have some for next year as well.

My elderflower wine is not of the fizzy variety.

Sounds lovely!

I secondary ferment in the bottle so it results in a fizzy sparkling wine. From your findings it sounds encouraging that even the sparkling variety may have good ageing to it.

I may label date a few bottles and try them over the next 5 years or so and see how they turn out. 

Yes. I’ve got a 25 litre batch set away since Friday . Last year I tried using champagne yeast and 50/50 brewing sugar and cane sugar…. It actually ended up too strong.

This year I’ve stepped down to 25/75 with the champagne yeast. Bubbling away!!!!

45 minutes ago, markm said:

Yes. I’ve got a 25 litre batch set away since Friday . Last year I tried using champagne yeast and 50/50 brewing sugar and cane sugar…. It actually ended up too strong.

This year I’ve stepped down to 25/75 with the champagne yeast. Bubbling away!!!!

Hi Mark

What is the difference between brewing sugar and usual cane sugar?

Was the alcohol content too high or did it result in a very strong taste?

Great stuff on keeping the tradition going. 👍

14 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Hi Mark

What is the difference between brewing sugar and usual cane sugar?

Was the alcohol content too high or did it result in a very strong taste?

Great stuff on keeping the tradition going. 👍

Without going into full details (I’m not a chemist) it changes to alcohol easier. 

17 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Sounds lovely!

I secondary ferment in the bottle so it results in a fizzy sparkling wine. From your findings it sounds encouraging that even the sparkling variety may have good ageing to it.

I may label date a few bottles and try them over the next 5 years or so and see how they turn out. 

Good idea. Mine is bolstered as instructed in the directions by a supermarket brandy by the way. I can see no reaon why it should not keep. I have very distant memories as a Young Farmer calling to drop of a firend after a dance and his mother had some she had made years before.  I really cannot remember getting home and in bed that night ... happy 1950s days and nights.

No problem at all. I will send you a few bottles.

Your offer is also very kind, however no worries about giving me something in return, I make plenty enough and I am more than happy to send you a few and hope that you may enjoy them. If you feel they are not to your palate, simply use them as 'fragrant drain cleaner' :lol: and i will not be offended in any way.

On 23/06/2022 at 19:36, 7daysinaweek said:

All bottled up yesterday.

Just shy of 60 litres after siphoning off.

Will leave for at least 6 months as I usually do then will have a quaff!

20220622_155802.jpg

20220622_155814.jpg

20220622_155826.jpg

20220622_161322.jpg

HOW MUCH ???😄😄😄

Well that’s me bottled up tonight after 15 days in the barrel. 2 carbonation drops per bottle. I ran out of bottles after 32 bottles.  I could have easily hit 40-45. 

7Days (my elderflower mentor). What are those bottles you use?  I’ve been using the cooper beer bottles. 

PS - I had a 12 months old bottle tonight - Ice cold, it gets better with age…… 

DBF6AC13-B5F7-4F13-AEE0-8B3A443D2051.jpeg

Edited by markm

37 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

HOW MUCH 😄😄😄

Just shy of 60 litres this year mel. Not as much as I would usually do, and I have done up to 125 litres on quite a few occassions over the years, the only problen with this amount is that it results in around 200 half litre bottles after siphoning off.

They take up a lot of room!

In about six months it will be ready for a first 'quaffing' , I will send you a few bottles to try if you like? 

34 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

would it harm it to leave it brewing for an extra 2 days before bottling, struggling finding the time before the weekend.

I do not see why not!

I think I had one year when I bottled up around 17 =18 days as I was working some crazy shifts, however, I did remove the 'flower mash' from the brew on the day it should have been bottled.

I would at least try to remove the elderflower and lemon rind mash from the brew as this may impart a 'mustiness in the end product as I have had that happen from a brew once. I went over by a good few days on the ferment and this resulted in a musty taste. The mustiness worsened the longer it sat in the bottle and left a unpleasant taste. I ended up pouring the lot, a couple of hundred bottles and it all went down the drain!

A lot of time, expense and effort washed away.

The drains had a fragrant aroma for a few weeks. :lol:

20 minutes ago, markm said:

Well that’s me bottled up tonight after 15 days in the barrel. 2 carbonation drops per bottle. I ran out of bottles after 32 bottles.  I could have easily hit 40-45. 

7Days (my elderflower mentor). What are those bottles you use?  I’ve been using the cooper beer bottles. 

PS - I had a 12 months old bottle tonight - Ice cold, it gets better with age…… 

DBF6AC13-B5F7-4F13-AEE0-8B3A443D2051.jpeg

Hi Mark

Great to see your brew coming along.

Yes, it ages better if left for at least 12 months, and I give the odd bottle a go after six months but try to leave the majority for at least 12 months.

Regarding the bottles.

I use new brown 500ml P.E.T brewing bottles, they are made specifically for secondary fermentation in the bottle which produces high pressure, and they are made to withstand this pressure. I don't use glass anymore after producing a few elderflower 'bombs' in the past which 'decorated' my garage in the wonderful sticky fragrant liquor.

The bottles can be readily bought online.

6 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Just shy of 60 litres this year mel. Not as much as I would usually do, and I have done up to 125 litres on quite a few occassions over the years, the only problen with this amount is that it results in around 200 half litre bottles after siphoning off.

They take up a lot of room!

In about six months it will be ready for a first 'quaffing' , I will send you a few bottles to try if you like? 

I do not see why not!

I think I had one year when I bottled up around 17 =18 days as I was working some crazy shifts, however, I did remove the 'flower mash' from the brew on the day it should have been bottled.

I would at least try to remove the elderflower and lemon rind mash from the brew as this may impart a 'mustiness in the end product as I have had that happen from a brew once. I went over by a good few days on the ferment and this resulted in a musty taste. The mustiness worsened the longer it sat in the bottle and left a unpleasant taste. I ended up pouring the lot, a couple of hundred bottles and it all went down the drain!

A lot of time, expense and effort washed away.

The drains had a fragrant aroma for a few weeks. 

Hi Mark

Great to see your brew coming along.

Yes, it ages better if left for at least 12 months, and I give the odd bottle a go after six months but try to leave the majority for at least 12 months.

Regarding the bottles.

I use new brown 500ml P.E.T brewing bottles, they are made specifically for secondary fermentation in the bottle which produces high pressure, and they are made to withstand this pressure. I don't use glass anymore after producing a few elderflower 'bombs' in the past which 'decorated' my garage in the wonderful sticky fragrant liquor.

The bottles can be readily bought online.

That's very kind of you indeed , I'd love to try it . Thankyou 👍