That time of year again. Elderflower champers anyone!

7daysinaweek

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

46 bottles filled up today, now i need to find somewhere to store it until Christmas. Would it be ok in the shed or will it be too warm?

DSC_0534.JPG

Somewhere warm and dark is ideal for the yeast to finish. 

Did you add sugar or carb drops into the bottles?  

You’ll need to vent them starting a week or so after bottling. I keep one bottle in a kitchen cupboard to check the pressure. 

• 5 months later...

After bottling up in June, we have just commenced the first sampling of this years batch, quite nice it is too, a little sweet at the moment as it's only been on the go for about 6 months. I have not done the specific gravity on it, however, having calculated it in the past and my recipe does not really change, I put it around the 7% mark.

Have quaffed a few bottles so far and it will become dryer with age. In my opinion this improves over time. Already gave a few bottles away to eager family and friends.

Have to open 'carefully' as seen in the video, unless you wish to be decorated with a large hint of elderflower.

Edited by 7daysinaweek

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

already had a few of mine, I am thinking of using fewer lemons next year as it does taste quite lemony to me, as you say it is sweet but I don't mind that.

Good stuff paul. I use fifty large heads or so, I find they impart more taste over the lemons.

How has the alcohol content turned out?

24 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Good stuff paul. I use fifty large heads or so, I find they impart more taste over the lemons.

How has the alcohol content turned out?

Not measured the alcohol content but after having a bottle you can tell there is alcohol in it. I have got one of those floating measures from when i did home brew so might have a go at measuring it.

• 6 months later...

THAT WONDERFUL TIME OF YEAR AGAIN!

Made with my usual recipe (in the first pages of this thread)

Done a very big batch this year 200 litres.

Ingredients for the whole batch as follows:

400 elderflower heads

32 kg sugar

64 lemons

white wine vinegar

nearly four hundred  500ml bottles later now all bottled up.

Anyone else made any?

rsz_20230611_133101_-_copy.jpg

rsz_20230611_111130.jpg

rsz_20230611_153217.jpg

rsz_120230622_230030.jpg

rsz_20230623_102255 (1).jpg

18 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

Blimey you've been busy, I wasn't  going to do any this year thinking it's too late now, but maybe it's not.

It was a 'monumental' batch. No fun peeling and crushing 64 lemons I can tell you. Bledy torture! :lol:

You may catch the last of the flowers Paul but you will need to be sharpish, I fear that in a week or so they will be finished.

Hope you get some.

Here is a picture of a couple of glasses from last years batch that I opened a few weeks back. Very nice indeedy.

rsz_20230615_192131.jpg