That time of year again. Elderflower champers anyone!

7daysinaweek

We made some for the first time this year and had it mixed with presecco on the beach in the sun the other day. Marvellous.

The flowers will only be good for picking round here for the next few days so I will have to get out again soon. It has been a rewarding exercise.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Has anyone ever made elderberry champagne from Sambucus Nigra ? Just wondered whether it would work as my tree is just sprouting it's pink flower heads.

Have made some ordinary stuff, picked midday during a sunny spell and it was/is great.

OB

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

when i made elderflower champers many many moons ago ...i cant ever remember putting yeast into it..........yet the reciepes say you do......???

You are quite right there Ditchy. Provided the heads are from a clean atmosphere (not a busy roadside), picked on a sunny day and not washed, there is enough natural yeast to enable fermentation. I've never used yeast and have always had a good batch. 

Going to try heads from my Sambucus Nigra today, which should give a pink blush to the brew.

OB

11 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

You are quite right there Ditchy. Provided the heads are from a clean atmosphere (not a busy roadside), picked on a sunny day and not washed, there is enough natural yeast to enable fermentation. I've never used yeast and have always had a good batch. 

Going to try heads from my Sambucus Nigra today, which should give a pink blush to the brew.

OB

thats excactly what i was told................and the champagne that i got WAS THE COLOUR OF CHAMPAGNE....not that opache colour............

I was reading this thread last night and thought making some would be a fun thing to do.  

Whilst cutting the grass an hour ago I seen these white flowers, on a bush, in the front.  Are they elder flowers and if so, where can I buy all the stuff I need?  I know boots used to have a home brewing section. 

DCA73B4D-7E3E-419D-B714-80EE553E9FFF.jpeg

5 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

@markm

That is not elder flower, picture below is elder flower.

Here is a link to home brew site for the equipment. All you need is fermentation bin, I use the 25litre ones and some of the P.E.T bottles brown 500ml. 

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Champagne-Cages-Foils-Stoppers.html

elderflowers.jpeg

Thanks mate. 

I’m going hunting this week for some  

On 06/06/2020 at 06:55, Old Boggy said:

Has anyone ever made elderberry champagne from Sambucus Nigra ? Just wondered whether it would work as my tree is just sprouting it's pink flower heads.

Have made some ordinary stuff, picked midday during a sunny spell and it was/is great.

OB

Yes. Its pink when made. I fluffed up with too many lemons but may have a go this year. More fragrance to it as well. 

• 11 months later...

To resurrect the annual elderflower champagne thread I am starting to get together what I need to make a couple of batches next month, I have a load of brown pet bottles that have been  used previously, will these be ok to use again?, I remember they swelled a lot last time I made some and I am wondering if they may have been weakened as a result. 

At least I'll be able to get some yeast this year! 

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

To resurrect the annual elderflower champagne thread I am starting to get together what I need to make a couple of batches next month, I have a load of brown pet bottles that have been  used previously, will these be ok to use again?, I remember they swelled a lot last time I made some and I am wondering if they may have been weakened as a result. 

At least I'll be able to get some yeast this year! 

Hi Paul

I see you have ressurected my old thread. I have used the brown PET bottles a second time round and a few of them "gave way" and several leaked the gas despite putting new caps on. I also find it was very consuming recleaning and sterilising them for the amount I make. 

I did not make any last year but am doing my normal batch which I have made for years.  As you can see from my pictures I make a fair few. 

Good luck with your batch and post up how it is going.

atb 

7diaw

On 05/07/2016 at 23:09, 7daysinaweek said:

hi rovercoupe

how many days have you brewed it for ? if it is around the 12 days mark, will be fine to bottle, as said just make sure you use plastic bottles and not glass as i have said. sorry for any unanswered questions just back from holiday today.

atb 7diaw

I followed Philip’s (7diaw) advice last year from here and via PM - he was a massive help - It worked brilliantly.   I’ve  got 6 bottles left out of 48. Since then I’ve started brewing all kinds of stuff. 

Been planning this year’s batch for a month or so, got everything I need and going to make a few subtle changes. Will be an annual thing from now on. 

12 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Mark

Let us know how your batch gets on and what changes you make along the way. Any improvements welcomed.

atb

7diaw

The plan is to stick to your very successful recipe.

But - swap out 1/2 the normal sugar for brewing sugar, add some champagne yeast (sachet), increase the time in the 25 litre brewing tub to 14 days (depending on how it goes) and use carb drops in the bottles. I also plan on venting the bottles to stop them bulging. 

I’ve had some very drunk people in my house (garden) drinking home made sloe gin mixed with my elderflower champagne. 

Edited by markm

• 1 year later...

Made this years batch, just 75 litres this year. 

This season, the trees in our vilage are absolutely stuffed with flowers, that of the like I have not seen for many, many years. Picked 150 heads from a row of trees in about 15 minutes. What a wonderful sight and smell it was.

Took me about an hour to make, will let it ferment now then will post up again in 10-12 days when I am bottling it.

Anyone else having a bash this year, and if so, how are your 'brews' coming along?

rsz_20220612_095806.jpg

rsz_20220612_100322.jpg

rsz_20220612_102347.jpg

rsz_20220612_103241 (1).jpg

rsz_20220612_102705.jpg

rsz_120220612_111921.jpg

rsz_120220612_113854.jpg

rsz_120220612_114439.jpg