Fox club

WelshMike

Ok gents this one is aimed at the fox shooting boys.

I have seen that of late many people are less inclined to post due to lack of responses which I think is rubbish (the lack of responses :lol: ).

What are peoples thoughts on starting a fox club post in sporting pictures or vermin control where people can just add their pics onto the trail?

If people think it is a load of tosh then I wont worry.

Cheers

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't shoot them like you guys do but I think its worth doing. Some background to the shoots is also helpful, baiting calling location etc. What about trophy fox measured by weight or length :yes:

I would also like to see a piece on how to start fox shooting.

I don't shoot them like you guys do but I think its worth doing. Some background to the shoots is also helpful, baiting calling location etc. What about trophy fox measured by weight or length :yes:

I would also like to see a piece on how to start fox shooting.

Cheers for the comments. Definite no for fox measuring and weighing...stinky blighters. It also penalises those of us who use rifles that are larger calibres then necessary and deduct large amounts of weight on the path through the fox :lol:

:) Pressure would be on for a shovel. I am hoping to learn a bit with one of the guys on here. I have to go out with the bate next week. :). Need to get some bait first but the birds I shot yesterday afternoon were mostly squashed on the road.

:) Pressure would be on for a shovel. I am hoping to learn a bit with one of the guys on here. I have to go out with the bate next week. :). Need to get some bait first but the birds I shot yesterday afternoon were mostly squashed on the road.

If you fancy a trip to mid wales I will take you out, though I fear the journey may be a little to far for you mate.

Are you going to be using a lamp or do you have NV?

Couple of tips from me:

Get to know your ground really well, this involves getting out at all hours as foxes are creatures of habit to a degree but are all different. Some ground I look after they are out as soon as its dark and others seem to be about at 2.00 a.m.

Be sparing with the lamp. You will get used to spotting a foxes eye shine pretty quickly but also bear in mind that not all foxes have the same degree of eye shine. Some will be as bright as heck whilst others can be a lot dimmer like a badger. Dont hold the lamp on the fox for any length of time as it will not be happy. When you are ready to take the shot bring the light onto the fox from the side and only enough to give you a celar picture for a shot.

Try different calls to find what works. Some calls will work really well on one fox and send another one off in the opposite direction.

Only take shots you are comfortable with (sorry if this states the bleeding obvious). It is all to tempting to "have a go" at times where the ranges may be further then you are comfortable with. At the end of the day if you dont take the shot the fox will be there again.

Have fun- we are supposed to enjoy our sport. When you cant catch up with a problem fox and are out night after night getting cold and wet it is important to remind yourself this is supposed to be fun.

If you fancy a trip to mid wales I will take you out, though I fear the journey may be a little to far for you mate.

Are you going to be using a lamp or do you have NV?

Couple of tips from me:

Get to know your ground really well, this involves getting out at all hours as foxes are creatures of habit to a degree but are all different. Some ground I look after they are out as soon as its dark and others seem to be about at 2.00 a.m.

Be sparing with the lamp. You will get used to spotting a foxes eye shine pretty quickly but also bear in mind that not all foxes have the same degree of eye shine. Some will be as bright as heck whilst others can be a lot dimmer like a badger. Dont hold the lamp on the fox for any length of time as it will not be happy. When you are ready to take the shot bring the light onto the fox from the side and only enough to give you a celar picture for a shot.

Try different calls to find what works. Some calls will work really well on one fox and send another one off in the opposite direction.

Only take shots you are comfortable with (sorry if this states the bleeding obvious). It is all to tempting to "have a go" at times where the ranges may be further then you are comfortable with. At the end of the day if you dont take the shot the fox will be there again.

Have fun- we are supposed to enjoy our sport. When you cant catch up with a problem fox and are out night after night getting cold and wet it is important to remind yourself this is supposed to be fun.

Many many thanks for the offer. I will be the first to admit that I know zero about shooting them. The only fox's I have shot are with the shotgun when they have been passing by chance or on the maize cutting. I would like to learn a bit about how to go about it with a rifle with the thought of trying it myself.

I have a piece of (i hope) likely ground where the farmer has said I can take someone with me, they have the rifle and have kindly offered to show me the ropes. I know the ground but only from a crow and rabbit perspective. I don't at all know the land from a foxing point of view. I don't know what kit he will use. First I have to bait the land and see what happens and report back :). I want to try and learn what its about at least as a starter for ten and see if its for me.

Cracking idea in my eyes. I'm waiting to get a .22mag then hopefully the fox's will play ball!

Thanks mate.

Many many thanks for the offer. I will be the first to admit that I know zero about shooting them. The only fox's I have shot are with the shotgun when they have been passing by chance or on the maize cutting. I would like to learn a bit about how to go about it with a rifle with the thought of trying it myself.

I have a piece of (i hope) likely ground where the farmer has said I can take someone with me, they have the rifle and have kindly offered to show me the ropes. I know the ground but only from a crow and rabbit perspective. I don't at all know the land from a foxing point of view. I don't know what kit he will use. First I have to bait the land and see what happens and report back :). I want to try and learn what its about at least as a starter for ten and see if its for me.

Good man. In my opinion it is impossible not to like fox shooting but I have deep seated issues :lol::lol::lol:

Ok gents this one is aimed at the fox shooting boys.

I have seen that of late many people are less inclined to post due to lack of responses which I think is rubbish (the lack of responses :lol: ).

What are peoples thoughts on starting a fox club post in sporting pictures or vermin control where people can just add their pics onto the trail?

If people think it is a load of tosh then I wont worry.

Cheers

Sounds good :)

But Will it be free from public eyes ? ...

I used to post a fair bit on here but not now

Edited by fruity

Sounds good :)

But Will it be free from public eyes ? ...

I used to post a fair bit on here but not now

a blast from the past mate, I miss your posts. Not sure I can get away with making if "for fox shooters only", maybe we can come up with some terms and condition e.g.

Comments about orphaning cubs should be kept to ones self :lol::lol:

Look after yourself buddy.

a blast from the past mate, I miss your posts. Not sure I can get away with making if "for fox shooters only", maybe we can come up with some terms and condition e.g.

Comments about orphaning cubs should be kept to ones self :lol::lol:

Look after yourself buddy.

Sounds like a plan.

I'll keep checking in on the progress , happy to contribute :)

I'll start it off then.

Just got in from a very successful night in the office, 7 seen 5 accounted for 3 dog foxes and 2 barren vixens

Didn't see a cub all night

That will hopefully reduce the number of chicken being taken, it's on a free range chicken farm the guys been losing at least 20 birds (£300.00 ) a day, been taking the birds between 12 and 6 in the day every day

Started 10 pm finished at 4 am busiest time from 12 to 01:00 hrs 3 removed in an hour, first one arrived as soon as I got ready and the final one 3:30 after a deluge

My old .222 is a cracking foxing rifle, furthest one according to the range finder on the n870 - 215 yds most were between 70 and a 120 yds, it performed faultlessly, cream crackered, heading for me pillow 💤💤💤💤💤

Patrol

Edited by Patrol

Had another recently at the 64000 bird egg unit I try and keep Fox free, this one I took around at 120mtrs , had a vixen Wednesday night on the opposite side of the unit as she came from the woods, not a pleasant picture of her to post though.

Happy foxing guys :)

post-48582-0-14504800-1466352354_thumb.jpg

Good to here that one sounded like it was beginning to be a real pain costing some money by the sound of things. do you think she's got some cubs iv seen some massive cubs about in the day time proper chicken killers the size of the ones I have seen. Cheers well done. Mate

Not in the club yet :no: but Friday I had the pleasure to go out with Bumpy 22 off here for my first foxing lesson. I had baited a couple of places on one of my farms as requested. Not exactly sure where to place the bait other than with a good back stop. Bunches of crows tied to stakes were duly put out in two locations.

A quick call from B22 suggested we go out at 1930 hrs and after a briefing off we set. The farm is hilly and about 20 miles away and I was more than a little nervous as to if there would be any foxes. I had seen some but not regularly and it could have been the same one. Duly parked at the back of the yard we started to glass the hillside even though it was still early and in broad daylight. Then I spotted a fox about 300m away trotting away up the hill. To say I was relieved would be an understatement. Quickly set up on the sticks and B22 started calling off the back of his hand. The vixen came down to the hedge about 75m out and disappeared :unhappy: . Fortunately to reappear in the heavy cover at the bottom of our vantage point about 40m out. A quick shot was taken but she moved at the last moment (honest :yes: ) and the shot was a little far back so a follow up shot a second or so later was needed. One in the bag.

We then walked around much of the farm and stumbled upon a Roe deer at about 75m and heard a buck calling in the woods and eventually spotted two on the edge of the field at about 350m. Again B22 called them in and I held the light on one determined to come and say hello, running at a good rate of knots to be stopped at 40m with a shout from B22 and dropped in its tracks. Two down and we went to collect it. First thing that blew me away was its size it was small (i guess about half grown). I would have sworn it was at least twice as big from what I had seen. It just shows the tricks that night time viewing and lamps can play with perspective (at least mine at any rate).

Back to where we started and we spotted another up on the hill and off we went on a stalk. Try as we might we could not get a clear shot and the animal would not come towards us. We moved position and now there were two :) but neither responded to the call. We moved closer and further round trying to get a clear shot but they had gone. I must admit that I was surprised they had waited so long.

Next down the hill slippy with cow doings as I nearly found out to my cost :lol: ooops. After walking across a couple of fields there was another tucked under the hedge. My turn on the rifle but I could not get a clear shot and it would not come to the call. We tried different lights and the electronic call but no joy. Moving closer now again I had it in the cross hairs but It was still not clear at about 75m so further round and it had gone :no:. About 0200 now we decided to call it a day.

Lessons learnt. They can literally be anywhere. Have patience there is no rush. Know my ground better from a night time perspective. Where are the less obvious back stops. A nice picture is not so easy to take :unhappy: after a .243 has done its work. All in a cracking evening many thanks to B22. Bad news is I want to go again.

Edited by oowee

Not in the club yet :no: but Friday I had the pleasure to go out with Bumpy 22 off here for my first foxing lesson. I had baited a couple of places on one of my farms as requested. Not exactly sure where to place the bait other than with a good back stop. Bunches of crows tied to stakes were duly put out in two locations.

A quick call from B22 suggested we go out at 1930 hrs and after a briefing off we set. The farm is hilly and about 20 miles away and I was more than a little nervous as to if there would be any foxes. I had seen some but not regularly and it could have been the same one. Duly parked at the back of the yard we started to glass the hillside even though it was still early and in broad daylight. Then I spotted a fox about 300m away trotting away up the hill. To say I was relieved would be an understatement. Quickly set up on the sticks and B22 started calling off the back of his hand. The vixen came down to the hedge about 75m out and disappeared :unhappy: . Fortunately to reappear in the heavy cover at the bottom of our vantage point about 40m out. A quick shot was taken but she moved at the last moment (honest :yes: ) and the shot was a little far back so a follow up shot a second or so later was needed. One in the bag.

We then walked around much of the farm and stumbled upon a Roe deer at about 75m and heard a buck calling in the woods and eventually spotted two on the edge of the field at about 350m. Again B22 called them in and I held the light on one determined to come and say hello, running at a good rate of knots to be stopped at 40m with a shout from B22 and dropped in its tracks. Two down and we went to collect it. First thing that blew me away was its size it was small (i guess about half grown). I would have sworn it was at least twice as big from what I had seen. It just shows the tricks that night time viewing and lamps can play with perspective (at least mine at any rate).

Back to where we started and we spotted another up on the hill and off we went on a stalk. Try as we might we could not get a clear shot and the animal would not come towards us. We moved position and now there were two :) but neither responded to the call. We moved closer and further round trying to get a clear shot but they had gone. I must admit that I was surprised they had waited so long.

Next down the hill slippy with cow doings as I nearly found out to my cost :lol: ooops. After walking across a couple of fields there was another tucked under the hedge. My turn on the rifle but I could not get a clear shot and it would not come to the call. We tried different lights and the electronic call but no joy. Moving closer now again I had it in the cross hairs but It was still not clear at about 75m so further round and it had gone :no:. About 0200 now we decided to call it a day.

Lessons learnt. They can literally be anywhere. Have patience there is no rush. Know my ground better from a night time perspective. Where are the less obvious back stops. A nice picture is not so easy to take :unhappy: after a .243 has done its work. All in a cracking evening many thanks to B22. Bad news is I want to go again.

good night out. just a shame i could not get you on one. as soon as i have time we will have another go