Fox club

WelshMike

Fair play boys there has been some good fox control going on there.

I got a call saturday night about 7.30 as there was a fox seen at one of the chicken farms I look after. I was busy with the bees so couldnt make it over there until 23.00. Spent an hour looking around and trying all manner of calls to no avail. Over to another farm and spotted a fox and cub a fair distance off across a main road. Brisk walk and managed to spot the fox just as it was disappearing....sod. i managed to spot the fox again but to cut a long story short I misjudged the distance and missed...I thought it was about 150-160 yards but it was about 220 so bullet put straight under the fox (which was curled up in the field). If I had any sense i would have used my legs but never mind. I was about to leave in disgust when I caught another flash of eyes. This fox was very obliging and headed through the cover and popped out about 90 yards away to be greeted by an 80 grain soft point. Decent size dog fox.

Over to another farm to find that the grass has grown such much in the last week that most of the farm is out of bounds. Quick look in one of the fields where the grass is low, all quiet. On leaving the field I caught a flash of eyes. Over to the NV to confirm a fox cub about 30 yards away. Rifle onto sticks, bullet away and 1 less fox cub to worry about. He was in good nick and about 12 weeks old. I suspected that there was a litter of cubs in the one wood as I had shot the dog a few weeks back and have heard the vixen calling. As it was 2.00 a.m I decided that it was bed time. Hopefully the silage will be cut this week so I can get out properly.

Keep up the good work boys :good:

Not in the club yet :no: but Friday I had the pleasure to go out with Bumpy 22 off here for my first foxing lesson. I had baited a couple of places on one of my farms as requested. Not exactly sure where to place the bait other than with a good back stop. Bunches of crows tied to stakes were duly put out in two locations.

A quick call from B22 suggested we go out at 1930 hrs and after a briefing off we set. The farm is hilly and about 20 miles away and I was more than a little nervous as to if there would be any foxes. I had seen some but not regularly and it could have been the same one. Duly parked at the back of the yard we started to glass the hillside even though it was still early and in broad daylight. Then I spotted a fox about 300m away trotting away up the hill. To say I was relieved would be an understatement. Quickly set up on the sticks and B22 started calling off the back of his hand. The vixen came down to the hedge about 75m out and disappeared :unhappy: . Fortunately to reappear in the heavy cover at the bottom of our vantage point about 40m out. A quick shot was taken but she moved at the last moment (honest :yes: ) and the shot was a little far back so a follow up shot a second or so later was needed. One in the bag.

We then walked around much of the farm and stumbled upon a Roe deer at about 75m and heard a buck calling in the woods and eventually spotted two on the edge of the field at about 350m. Again B22 called them in and I held the light on one determined to come and say hello, running at a good rate of knots to be stopped at 40m with a shout from B22 and dropped in its tracks. Two down and we went to collect it. First thing that blew me away was its size it was small (i guess about half grown). I would have sworn it was at least twice as big from what I had seen. It just shows the tricks that night time viewing and lamps can play with perspective (at least mine at any rate).

Back to where we started and we spotted another up on the hill and off we went on a stalk. Try as we might we could not get a clear shot and the animal would not come towards us. We moved position and now there were two :) but neither responded to the call. We moved closer and further round trying to get a clear shot but they had gone. I must admit that I was surprised they had waited so long.

Next down the hill slippy with cow doings as I nearly found out to my cost :lol: ooops. After walking across a couple of fields there was another tucked under the hedge. My turn on the rifle but I could not get a clear shot and it would not come to the call. We tried different lights and the electronic call but no joy. Moving closer now again I had it in the cross hairs but It was still not clear at about 75m so further round and it had gone :no:. About 0200 now we decided to call it a day.

Lessons learnt. They can literally be anywhere. Have patience there is no rush. Know my ground better from a night time perspective. Where are the less obvious back stops. A nice picture is not so easy to take :unhappy: after a .243 has done its work. All in a cracking evening many thanks to B22. Bad news is I want to go again.

I told you that you would love it. Sounds like you had a cracking night.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry gents for the delay in responding. The moderator is a sonic 45. I dont have any cleaning issues as it is now effectively welded together :lol: I did the baffles up very tight to start off with then put a fair few shots through it and now dont want to split it. I use silensave in my mods and touch wood they are all ok. I find that the mod is ok but as its on a .243 it aint quiet.

The NV is a Pulsar N750A with a Nightmaster 800 IR on the side.

Cheers gents and keep up the fine work.

I've had the sonic to bits twice, given it a decent clear out and sprayed it out with silence save spray

If I'm honest it looks brand new inside and out, real decent bit of kit, compared to some of the others available at the same price

Only down side is re assembly, I've found nice and steady with a bit of lube on the threads really help and I just tighten it up as I go along the tube with rubber gloves on and give it a tighten up with the spanner then a wipe over. Perfect and really quiet

For quietness the best mod I've had for the Duce, SO FAR. 👀

Patrol

Edited by Patrol

Some great pest control there gents 👍

I've never shot a fox as I only have a dairy farm and golf course permission so they do no real harm also only have shotgun and air rifle so not ideal tools unless close, I've had a few chances with the shotgun but let them walk by as no need to shoot them. It is something I'd really love to get into given the right circumstances though.

If anyone ever needs a lamp man apprentice round South Yorkshire or out Retford way I'd jump at the chance to help out and learn the ropes.

Keep up the good work lads.

Some great pest control there gents

I've never shot a fox as I only have a dairy farm and golf course permission so they do no real harm also only have shotgun and air rifle so not ideal tools unless close, I've had a few chances with the shotgun but let them walk by as no need to shoot them. It is something I'd really love to get into given the right circumstances though.

If anyone ever needs a lamp man apprentice round South Yorkshire or out Retford way I'd jump at the chance to help out and learn the ropes.

Keep up the good work lads.

Paul, you should of been out with me last harvest up at Deighton & Harlsey (you know the ground) 17 foxes over 2 weeks (7 in one night).Was out mostly on my own (Phils wife poorly).Even picked that dog off on the same margin he ran up last time you where out.

Shot this vixen cub last night. I was after rabbits mainly but took the .243 as well as the farm has been losing chickens. I dont think it helped my fox shooting with me shooting 46 rabbits but at least I managed 1. I saw a couple more but no safe shot.

Vixen%20cub%2021.06.16_zpsfa9iorqw.jpg

Sounds good Davey. You still resisting the urge to shoot again or is the guitar and fishing keeping you busy pal

Dont miss it one bit Paul,realy getting back into fishing though.The guitars a bit of fun and it got me back in touch with some old mates & i even managed to track down my old jamming budy.Oddly enough,on the packing in shooting front ive had loads of requests to build NV units but just havent got the time.

Ok gents this one is aimed at the fox shooting boys.

I have seen that of late many people are less inclined to post due to lack of responses which I think is rubbish (the lack of responses :lol: ).

What are peoples thoughts on starting a fox club post in sporting pictures or vermin control where people can just add their pics onto the trail?

If people think it is a load of tosh then I wont worry.

Cheers

Defo YES! so many experianced fox lads out there with plenty of knowledge.

Defo YES! so many experianced fox lads out there with plenty of knowledge.

Cheers mate. I think that this has now unofficially become "Fox Club".

So........The first rule of fox club....you need to shoot foxes or be keen to start shooting foxes

The second rule of fox club...if you object to shooting foxes ..keep your opinion to yourself :lol:

suggestions on some more rules please gents?

Cheers mate. I think that this has now unofficially become "Fox Club".

So........The first rule of fox club....you need to shoot foxes or be keen to start shooting foxes

The second rule of fox club...if you object to shooting foxes ..keep your opinion to yourself :lol:

suggestions on some more rules please gents?

maybe a readers wives section mike ???? just a thought :lol:

maybe a readers wives section mike ???? just a thought :lol:

:lol: best not get into this one....

:lol:

I am keen for 'Trophy Fox' ok not by weight :) but maybe nose to tail (gloves are allowed)? There is always talk of how many pigeons, and trophy deer so some fox measure would be good.

its not the size that counts :lol: i will let you start the fox measuring competition ....and then we can see how impressive yours is :lol::lol::lol:

Nice varied bag there WM

Out last night in a deluge, thunder, lightning the lot

Still managed to bag a couple of dog foxes in between torrential rain downpours

Never ceases to amaze me how dear old Charlie will lay up and as soon as the rain eases up their out and at em straight away, I watched one of the dog foxes grassed through the thermal last night lay up under a very thick blackthorn bush/ tree sat there a good 35 minutes like a gargoyle just watching like a window shopper checking the surrounding area soaking it all up and planning its next move.

As soon as the rain rain eased up, it was out and looking for something to eat, couple of tiny mouse squeaks come straight into my safe shoot area

Really wet and dreary night, but worth the trouble, started at dusk left about 04:00 hrs first one come at 00:30 and the second 02:45, I never stop learning after all the years I've been doing this, really enjoyable night. - I think. He says after the second dry off, clean and re oil of the .222 only got the stock to oil now back to normal

Patrol

Nice varied bag there WM

Out last night in a deluge, thunder, lightning the lot

Still managed to bag a couple of dog foxes in between torrential rain downpours

Never ceases to amaze me how dear old Charlie will lay up and as soon as the rain eases up their out and at em straight away, I watched one of the dog foxes grassed through the thermal last night lay up under a very thick blackthorn bush/ tree sat there a good 35 minutes like a gargoyle just watching like a window shopper checking the surrounding area soaking it all up and planning its next move.

As soon as the rain rain eased up, it was out and looking for something to eat, couple of tiny mouse squeaks come straight into my safe shoot area

Really wet and dreary night, but worth the trouble, started at dusk left about 04:00 hrs first one come at 00:30 and the second 02:45, I never stop learning after all the years I've been doing this, really enjoyable night. - I think. He says after the second dry off, clean and re oil of the .222 only got the stock to oil now back to normal

Patrol

Good going buddy. I think the advent of NV and TI have allowed us a far better insight into the world of foxes and it is amazing the stuff that you get to see. What kit do you use mate?