Fox club

WelshMike

Hi WM

Kit

N870 pulsar on QD mounts with 3 different rifles set up on it

The XT photons on the rest, WMR and LR

Pulsar XD50 thermal on a landyard, also have a 12" TV screen (12v) in the truck with a tilt and pan the TI fixes to the tilt and pan and connect it up to the TV when laying up in an area, really decent bit of kit, cracking detection picture on a long haul takes the strain out of it

Cheers

Patrol

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi WM

Kit

N870 pulsar on QD mounts with 3 different rifles set up on it

The XT photons on the rest, WMR and LR

Pulsar XD50 thermal on a landyard, also have a 12" TV screen (12v) in the truck with a tilt and pan the TI fixes to the tilt and pan and connect it up to the TV when laying up in an area, really decent bit of kit, cracking detection picture on a long haul takes the strain out of it

Cheers

Patrol

Tidy mate. I really want to get a TI spotter but cant justify the cost. I stick to using a NM800 torch to spot with then over to NV.

Hi Mike , just noticed this post. Can I join the fox club :lol:

I was out the other night checking out an area I have been baiting . On dusk I spotted a fox crossing a field and heading into some gorse. I got myself positioned and managed to lip squeak it into around 70 yds .243 100 grainer ended its journey :yes:

Then right on dark I spotted another fox , tried calling but he just lay down and wouldn't budge . I had to sneak up on him and head shot him as he lay around 120 yds.

A good result and satisfying that the effort involved in baiting paid off , they have had around 80 rabbits plus other stuff in last couple of months...

dog%20and%20vixen%20004_zps0f3twlz3.jpg

Yep

It's all about being at the right place the right time.

I spend a lot of time watching and use stealth cams to give a helping hand

The old fox is probably one the best quarry species out there at times they can give you the run around, he's only gotta think your after him and he will melt away not to be seen for a few days, that leaves you a few blank nights and the night you ain't there he turns up as normal. He's got his own set of field craft rules, he just don't spread the word very easily

Cheers

Patrol

Yep I'm out now in the truck laid up alongside a hedge with a big valley in front, according to my stealth camera video there's a huge dog fox coming through the gate at the bottom on route to the hen house on top of the hill at the farm, three times this week from 12:30'through to 03:00

I'm waiting

Patrol

Hi Foxhunter

Yep got him and a vixen 2 hrs later 100 yds away further down the bank

Also see another 400 yds away that just melted into cover never to be seen again

Gotta say the rain man has got one on him at the moment around here

It was very wet last night out of the 6 hours four of them was pouring down with rain, it does help concentrate the fox activity providing I've chosen the right spot. ( lol), had about an hour walking around with the .222 and thermal spotter off sticks which got me onto the second fox, really good night out.

I've made a rain shield 16 " deep and the width of the window in heavy duty canvas ( 2 sides and a top) I put two flat bendy but stiff 16" flat galvanised bars running from the inside the door around the bendy bit and out 14" so the edge turned down on the canvas, two heavy duty clips on the bottom of the two sides, not a bit of water came in, all the kit was bone dry and still operating through the rain which although cuts the thermal back a bit it's still business as usual, really pleased with it, going to tweak it up today and keep it in the truck for the wet nights,

Patrol

Hi Mike , just noticed this post. Can I join the fox club :lol:

I was out the other night checking out an area I have been baiting . On dusk I spotted a fox crossing a field and heading into some gorse. I got myself positioned and managed to lip squeak it into around 70 yds .243 100 grainer ended its journey :yes:

Then right on dark I spotted another fox , tried calling but he just lay down and wouldn't budge . I had to sneak up on him and head shot him as he lay around 120 yds.

A good result and satisfying that the effort involved in baiting paid off , they have had around 80 rabbits plus other stuff in last couple of months...

dog%20and%20vixen%20004_zps0f3twlz3.jpg

Mark. I must apologise..the 15th rule of fox club is that if you are from up North you need to get Welsh Mike onto a nice Roe Buck not scare them all away...and then shoot them all yourself :lol::lol::lol:

I was going to PM you later and tell you to get in the club. They are stunning foxes mate, well done

Hi Foxhunter

Yep got him and a vixen 2 hrs later 100 yds away further down the bank

Also see another 400 yds away that just melted into cover never to be seen again

Gotta say the rain man has got one on him at the moment around here

It was very wet last night out of the 6 hours four of them was pouring down with rain, it does help concentrate the fox activity providing I've chosen the right spot. ( lol), had about an hour walking around with the .222 and thermal spotter off sticks which got me onto the second fox, really good night out.

I've made a rain shield 16 " deep and the width of the window in heavy duty canvas ( 2 sides and a top) I put two flat bendy but stiff 16" flat galvanised bars running from the inside the door around the bendy bit and out 14" so the edge turned down on the canvas, two heavy duty clips on the bottom of the two sides, not a bit of water came in, all the kit was bone dry and still operating through the rain which although cuts the thermal back a bit it's still business as usual, really pleased with it, going to tweak it up today and keep it in the truck for the wet nights,

Patrol

I got my earliest fox of the year last night a big dog at 12.30am. I hope they all start coming at that time.

Nice one boys you are putting the effort in, well done :good:

Last nights foxing efforts for me.....

Got a text saying that one of the farms had cleared all the silage. I knew there were foxes about as I has seen 3 a couple of weeks before but no clear shot due to the grass,

Got there about 11.00 and parked the pickup in one of the fields so I could shoot off the top if I was luck as the farm is so flat....I wasnt in luck as despite calling for a bit nothing showed up. Off I set with the rifle and sticks to see what I can find. Managed to catch up with 2 cubs in the next couple of fields so not to bad.Got back to the pickup ready to head home and spotted another 2 cubs and an adult ...followed them across the field with no safe shot...finally got to a place where the ground made a shot possible and the little blighters disappeared into the maize never to be seen again....well until next time anyway.

Good luck boys and carry on with the fine work :good:

...back out to the same farm last night to see if I could catch up with anything else before the farmer covers my nice clean fields with slurry.

Arrived at 11.00 and the first cub was down within 30 seconds. I had caught a flash of eyes so went for a closer look to find the cub curled up in the field about 70 yards away.

Into the next field to see one of the adults but skylined and very wary so no shot, across to the next field and another flash of eyes. Rifle onto sticks ...cub no 2 down.

Farmer is happy but I will now have to try and catch up with mum and dad and cub no 5.

Cheers gents

i spoke too soon. a vixen at 2.40am. it was a long wait sitting from 11pm.

Fair play bud you are patient and at least you were rewarded for your efforts. I am a little to impatient and cant wait for long before having to go for a wander to see what is about. Keep up the good work.

Your working hard there Mike. How often do you shoot the same farm? I guess if you shoot them they don't get wary?

I can see this fox shooting stuff is an all night affair.

I am feeling a little weary at the moment as the last few weeks have been very busy.

As you say they dont tend to get wary if they are dead :lol: also if you use NV and miss they dont tend to link the 2 events like they do with a lamp.

Generally I dont shoot the same farm night after night unless i have a problem fox or there are a lot about. with this one i saw 5 on Sunday night so i knew there was a good chance of catching up with some more last night. the fact that the grass is all cut and cleared makes it a lot easier to get about. I will probably not be back there for a couple of weeks as i have another 10 or so farms to get round after foxes and rabbits...as well as crows and magpies...shouldnt complain though.How is life treating you buddy?

Fair play bud you are patient and at least you were rewarded for your efforts. I am a little to impatient and cant wait for long before having to go for a wander to see what is about. Keep up the good work.

Yes its a pain hanging about for 3 or 4 hours but its £150 if I get it on the first night of being asked.

Here not been out as it's between crops and my fox shooting mentor is away. Yesterday was up at 4 with a hide set up in garden with rifle to sort out a few early problems waking me up each morning :). They won't be waking me again.

Now it's raining again.

Nice going bud. Weather is still **** up here , a bit like England's performance last night :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: At least with the recent vote we wont be in the euros for much longer :lol::lol::lol:

Yes its a pain hanging about for 3 or 4 hours but its £150 if I get it on the first night of being asked.

fair play that explains it....i envy getting paid for shooting stuff but i am not bright enough to get any money out of people :lol:

Here not been out as it's between crops and my fox shooting mentor is away. Yesterday was up at 4 with a hide set up in garden with rifle to sort out a few early problems waking me up each morning :). They won't be waking me again.

Now it's raining again.

Well done mate on stopping your early morning alarm call. This is always a difficult time of year if there are lots of crops on your ground. I am lucky in that I have a good mix of ground so there is always an oppurtunity for getting out after a fox.

Now it's raining again.

i am back :good:

Sorry to break up the man loving going on between the Somerset boys :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back out last night to cover 3 pieces of ground all owned or rented by one of the farmers who detests foxes. He had lost a fair few lambs over the years so has a zero tolerance for foxes. I look after this ground pretty well and his losses have been minimal since I started shooting for him about 3 years ago. I shot a cub a couple of weeks ago on a rented bit of ground that is owned by a friend of mine so I thought I may well see some more foxes there. I headed there as my second visit (the first 100 acres drew a blank). Arrived about 12.00 quick look first then set up the caller. Put a mix of dying woodland creature noises and distressed cub noises for about 15 minutes when I spotted a flash of foxy eyes, over to the NV confirmed a fox, which I suspected was a fox. By the time I could get into a safe position the fox was sat about 60 yards away in amongst the sheep. Fortunately there was a clear enough gap to put an 80 grain round in the side of his chest. Good size cub in lovely condition. For once the .243 didnt make a real mess of him so I though I would be ok putting up a pic. Farm 3 yielded a load of mist so off home.

Dog%20fox%20cub%2029.06.16_zpsfcczmwgb.j