• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yer a drone x10 good bit of kit

Had smaller cub last week out with a large vixen shot the vixen first

normally forget about photos was filming last night but had the video lead In The mic hole :(

Tidy job...apart from putting it in the wrong hole (pardon the pun :lol::lol: )

I like the look of the drone pro though my N750A does the job so I dont think i can justify changing. just need that lottery win and i will be able to get all the kit i want :lol:

keep up the good work :good:

managed a very large dog fox last night that has been giving me the runaround for a while. pulled up in the yard about half nine to scan the field where he has been spotted numerous times. after a few minutes spot him against the bottom hedge 300 yards away. i knew he would not react to me calling as he had been missed a couple of weeks back. waited 5 minutes as he was mousing in the grass but he was moving in our direction. when he got to about 200yards he met a 100g pill. longest shot i have done for a long time very pleased in the fading light and not the best position from the cab of land rover. bad news put the land rover in to gate post later that night so busy boy repairing it today

managed a very large dog fox last night that has been giving me the runaround for a while. pulled up in the yard about half nine to scan the field where he has been spotted numerous times. after a few minutes spot him against the bottom hedge 300 yards away. i knew he would not react to me calling as he had been missed a couple of weeks back. waited 5 minutes as he was mousing in the grass but he was moving in our direction. when he got to about 200yards he met a 100g pill. longest shot i have done for a long time very pleased in the fading light and not the best position from the cab of land rover. bad news put the land rover in to gate post later that night so busy boy repairing it today

Well done on the fox mate :good: bad luck on the land rover and gate post :unhappy:

Can i join now? I've been having a bad run on the foxes recently what with quite a few lamp shy one's about, the long grass making spotting difficult and just a streak of bad luck when out and about I've had many a blank night of late (very rare for down ere! ). So last night whilst dodging the showers I decided a change of plan was needed two catch up with a couple that had given me the run around. Using my newly aquired nv spotter, I left the lamp in the car and headed off on foot to keep things in stealth mode! A few squeaks from the rabbit call soon had a pair of eyes watching, I waited until it came out of cover far enough to give me a chance when the night master went on, and as that was the first time foxy had seen the lamp that night it gave me the few seconds u needed for the .204 to do it's work, as it dropped I saw a flash of eyes to the left dissappear in to the hedge so lamp off and back to the nv. After ten min I watched it creep back out the hedge rather cautiously but as soon as the lamp hit it it was off without a chance for a shot! Not over yet I thought as I set the nm 800 to it's lowest setting and waited. After another five min it was back but sat in the long grass just watching, now or never then, on with the dimmed lamp and I picked it up immediately in the scope, safety off and 32g v max between the eyes meant only one thing, dog and a vixen in the bag!

post-51912-0-92629800-1467362823_thumb.jpg

Can i join now? I've been having a bad run on the foxes recently what with quite a few lamp shy one's about, the long grass making spotting difficult and just a streak of bad luck when out and about I've had many a blank night of late (very rare for down ere! ). So last night whilst dodging the showers I decided a change of plan was needed two catch up with a couple that had given me the run around. Using my newly aquired nv spotter, I left the lamp in the car and headed off on foot to keep things in stealth mode! A few squeaks from the rabbit call soon had a pair of eyes watching, I waited until it came out of cover far enough to give me a chance when the night master went on, and as that was the first time foxy had seen the lamp that night it gave me the few seconds u needed for the .204 to do it's work, as it dropped I saw a flash of eyes to the left dissappear in to the hedge so lamp off and back to the nv. After ten min I watched it creep back out the hedge rather cautiously but as soon as the lamp hit it it was off without a chance for a shot! Not over yet I thought as I set the nm 800 to it's lowest setting and waited. After another five min it was back but sat in the long grass just watching, now or never then, on with the dimmed lamp and I picked it up immediately in the scope, safety off and 32g v max between the eyes meant only one thing, dog and a vixen in the bag!

Welcome :). .

Excellent job .

Wouldn't be without NV now :)

Edited by fruity

Nice one bud and welcome to the Club :good:

I suggested this earlier and was told that it works against the bigger guns as more is lost. :| I suggested a spade. :)

Now then boys it is not size that counts :lol::lol: if you want to start weighing your foxes go for it, it would be interesting to see. i must confess that i have better things to do then weigh mine but then mine are smaller then many of yours :lol::lol::lol:

Great result mate.

Out of interest what NV spotter have you got and how much. Thinking of one myself...

Great result mate.

Out of interest what NV spotter have you got and how much. Thinking of one myself...

it's a home made spotter, built for me by a friend off PW. It's based around the Sony e700 cam with a t38 ir torch, fantastic bit of kit that let's me spot foxes over 250 yards.

Out last night with my mentor Bumpy 22. Arrived at freshly cut barley stubble that I had been shooting crows on over the last few days. Stacking all of the shot birds in the hedge I was hoping the bate would work. Arrived at the farm about 2030 for a chat to the farmer and let my mentor get a sight of the ground. Sat in the truck for around 20 mins. Gun is in slip on back seat, bino's at home together with electronic caller (we wont need them). I am a little concerned that not a lot is happening. 'Shouldn't we get the gun out?' I need a plan!! Patience is not my strong point but after weighing up the options and seeing its not going to be dark for a while yet we set off to another farm to have a look with a view to coming back later.

Arrived at the other farm to spot a good sized trophy Roe deer (looked the same as any other to me). Spent an hour or so looking over the farm but it was mostly to crops and grass with a lot of the grass standing 3 feet tall. So after flashing the lamp for a bit over any open ground with no luck, we set off back to the first farm.

Back at the stubble field out of the truck and Bumpy is onto one straight away calling with the lamp. It took me a few moments to catch on to what was happening and i was given the instruction to get the rifle onto the sticks. No sooner was this done than I realise the fox is on its way in at speed, the shout of OY from bumpy the fox stops in its tracks and I immediately squeeze off a round and its all over. My first fox to rifle. I want to go and get it make sure its truly dead, make sure i hit it. It was all over so quickly almost no time to take in what had just taken place. No we are not going to collect it ( :no: what if we never find it my first fox) we are off down the field we have another in sight. Not my sight I hasten to add Bumpy seems to have a sixth sense for all things moving at night. See that badger he says I respond with a yes not wanting to admit I had not seen anything only to spot it 10 mins later as we walk over the field.

Target number two has gone but another fox is now in the front left. Not sure if its the same one maybe trying to get scent of us moving to get down wind. We are off further into the field now after the eyes and trying to improve the angle. The eyes are still now weighting for our next move. I am offered the chance to shoot but its maybe 100m out just the head showing with a rifle I have only fired once so I chose not too and Bumpy took the vixen, with a single well placed shot. Now to find it. Not so easy but I am sure its down and about 20 mins of searching we found it and set off back to my first fox which turned out to be a lot smaller than I thought it was :). A quick picture and we are done for the night.

I must practice seeing in the dark :lol: but a big thank you to Bumpy for my first rifle shot fox :good: roll on the next chance I cant wait. So much still to learn,

Weather is a lot lot better tonight, grassed so far 2 Cubs and dog fox, seen another but it scarpered when the .222 cracked one out on the dog fox

They are or appear so more easy to call In with decent bit of weather, the dog fox according to the range finder 190 yds clear as day with n870 and a pulsar x850 IR (half open) no curtains crystal clear

Patrol

Four Cubs and dog fox final tally, packed in at 04:00 hrs no signs of the vixen or any more Cubs

Work in progress as they say

Edited by Patrol

Cracking night out tonight, just got in 2 dog foxes and two well grown on Cubs, both vixens.

What a difference the weather makes, see seven only four had a shot on, the others were either distant or browy or no back stop, the Cubs come in to less than a hundred on a mouse sqeak

Out on a fairly new permission tonight only second time out on here,next to a free range chicken farm, it's all been cut for silage less than a week ago,

Patrol

Cracking night out tonight, just got in 2 dog foxes and two well grown on Cubs, both vixens.

What a difference the weather makes, see seven only four had a shot on, the others were either distant or browy or no back stop, the Cubs come in to less than a hundred on a mouse sqeak

Out on a fairly new permission tonight only second time out on here,next to a free range chicken farm, it's all been cut for silage less than a week ago,

Patrol

Working hard their Patrol. In at 0300 :good: sounds like a good night all round. The fields are just starting to be cleared around here with the barley coming off it should make for some good sport.

Oowee

Ways to go here, some barley lightening up now, majority still growing

New load of birds Birds ( chickens ) due in two weeks time next door

At least I've got a chance to nail a few more before that happens it'll keep the losses down, you know what young birds are like they'll jug up in the grass, perfect for a Charlie meal instead of going back to the shed

Had some really good shots with .222, really nice to have some clear fields to work.

Up the shoot Thursday night, see what's lurking about, game crop is well on now and standing crops, if you don't go you won't know

Had a couple stealth cameras out on two clear ride areas, be interesting to see what's about

Patrol