Fox club

WelshMike

Well done lads.

Had No 50 of the year the other night. This one wouldn't come out of the hedge , could only see its head/neck so dropped it with a neck shot 140 yds .....very still and bright with the moon nearly 3/4 , you can see the moon in the background of the pic ..

50%20003_zpskjgian4q.jpg.

nice couple foxes there mate well done

Exiting 10mins,Rabbit Distress playing on the FoxPro and one turns up carrying a Rabbit but moves onto the wooded bank.Quick change to "pups" stops it but right behind a large fencepost...typical.It Quickly moved off but returned some 5mins later.As i was lining up the shot i saw another through the scope,it moved from left to right and this 1 was in the field.He went behind some rushes and my mate (spotting with thermal)directed me onto him....picked him up to see a 2nd behind him.Dropped the 1st (stumpy),2nd went 30yds left and duly stopped side on,dropped him too.

Turns out these 2 were both big dog foxes and not the original fox i was about to shoot.

Took another 45mins of calling but Dog Fox call brought the young Vixen(bottom in pic) onto the same wooded bank as previous and she was duly dropped too.

High%20Spen%203.jpg

excellent bit of fox control there mate keep at them :good:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yet another tale of woe from me I'm afraid.

Went out to see if a den is still being used.

I was crunching through the barley stalks stubble, as quietly as poss, but failing miserably.

The den is still in use, so good so far. I reckon I'll keep heading up that (downwind) edge of the field, as I've already stunk up the field by the den and don't imagine I'll see anything from there that night.

I lay up with my HMR about 100m from where I've previously popped a couple of Mixy rabbits, to see if there is any activity. Lay for quite a while and nothing shows, so I reckon I'll head over to known good territory, but before I go, I'll just check the zero on an old telegraph pole (1/2" off at 115m - so quite happy). Then the GF send me a text saying 'very funny, where have you hidden my chocolate bar?"

So I stand up, reply with the location and as I'm doing so, I spot the ginger on the far side of the field less than 10m from my post.

Drop the phone and am horizontal before I hit the ground, but he's off.

I spent the next 4 hours sloping around looking for him. All I saw was a pheasant and a very young rabbit.

Sigh. It's karma for hiding her chocolate I reckon.

Edited by Alpha Mule

You back yet Mike ?

Was out last night under the full moon and very still , didn't hold much hope of seeing anything. Called in a barn owl a few times which is always nice to see.

Then spotted this dog fox , shot him at 100 yards on the stubble. Note his damaged ear , must have been doing a bit of fighting I guess.

Love the derping fox. Very picterskew artistic too.

I'm not sure there were two of them...(my wife couldn't quite get the other one in shot)

The hotel we stayed at offered badger watching sessions where by they leave food on the lawn and the badgers come in within feet.

I really wanted to educate every one of the damage they cause....but my wife kept my on the tightest of tight leashes

Yet another tale of woe.
Got to the field I was on last time I spotted a wee ginger about 30 minutes later than I intended.

Got to the same spot, but this time with the 22-250 rather than the HMR.

Called, squeaked, puffed, blew, called a friend, nada.

Shot the post I did with the HMR last time - to check the zero.

According to Hawke BRC2 I should be 1.3" high at 110M - I was 1.25" high.

So no fox, but very happy with the shot.

Second one was .75 high at 115m, so not as impressive, but still not disgusted,

Noticed on another thread that rabbits seem to be extremely rare in certain parts. This farm was getting seriously hit when I got it last year and I was keen to make an impression, but I didn't wipe them out, however, I'm not seeing spoor. But on one I took, the eyes were very scabbed and I recon the virus got here. Wondering if it hits fox too, either directly or due to lack of prey they move on etc. The fox I have seen / shot all seem to be in very good health.

Edited by Alpha Mule

Finally managed to get my post holiday backside motivated last night and headed out about 8 to a couple of small farms. The mist was making life a little bit of a pain but was sporadic so not a total waste of time.

Spotted one fox about 400 yards away on the next farm over but the fox wouldnt move despite hand calls and the foxpro play list. Headed over to the second farm, quick call and caught a hint of movement about 20 yards away. I had already set the rfile up on the sticks so switched the NV on and saw a fox wondering what was making the noise. She moved through the hedge and headed to my right, stopped when the safety catch clicked and permanently stopped when the 56 grain round hit her in the chest at about 15 yards. No pic as all I will get is "thats the same pic as usual" from the gaylord artistic fox pictures society :lol: In reality my computer is so slow today I havent got time to upload the pic.

I would also like to tell off a couple of you for the lack of posts and picks. Foosa we will start with you- you are doing well with the shooting but not with the summary for the rest of us mortals. I dont want any excuses, get posting. :lol:

keep up the good work lads.

Out on wabbits last night with the 222 laid up along side a long hedge grassed a few long ones, walked over to my buddy opposite side of the hedge, spotting with the thermal for him, looked back on my bit cheeky fox walked out 150 yds from where I was laid up, picked up the nearest rabbit and scarpered back into the wood

Sat up three hours after not a fox seen, missed my chance.

Patrol

Edited by Patrol

Two weeks ago i saw a large fox on my boundary around 11.30pm. It was around 400m out and as soon as the lamp hit it it ran along the border- lamp shy? I switched off for a few seconds and tried to pick it up again, there it was running back the other way towards one of our drives. This needed to need to be removed. I got comfy and tried squeaking it in with a mouth caller. Nothing. 10 minutes later, nothing. I walked around to where I saw it but he had gone.

Next week I drove to within 300m of the woods, new moon plus cloud cover, wind in my face all looking good. I found an old electronic ebay caller at the back of the wardrobe and thought I would try the 'tom and jerry' remix- a cat and rat fight. I played it as I walked towards the woods, gun over shoulder, loaded, safety on and within 20seconds it was out of the woods looking at me directly- but skylined......******.

Down on one knee, gun brought round. watched it on the edge of the torch light from my hand torch come down the slope onto a road and along the road towards me, torch off and I made up the hill so as to get it off the road with a soft backstop. He stopped and I played a few more seconds, he was definitely having some of this and came back onto the field and up towards me. He was now in my scope crosshairs but was just getting easier by the second as the range closed down, 120 100 80 and a central chest shot from my .243 which exited lower abdomen opposite side. Instantly down , on examination a large prime condition dog fox.

I had a chat with the farmer as I left, not much fox action around yet but the hunt are running over the surrounding hills this weekend so that may push some towards us. I told him ill be back in a fortnight to see. Happy farmer, and the tides are perfect for nightflights this weekend anyway.....

Two weeks ago i saw a large fox on my boundary around 11.30pm. It was around 400m out and as soon as the lamp hit it it ran along the border- lamp shy? I switched off for a few seconds and tried to pick it up again, there it was running back the other way towards one of our drives. This needed to need to be removed. I got comfy and tried squeaking it in with a mouth caller. Nothing. 10 minutes later, nothing. I walked around to where I saw it but he had gone.

Next week I drove to within 300m of the woods, new moon plus cloud cover, wind in my face all looking good. I found an old electronic ebay caller at the back of the wardrobe and thought I would try the 'tom and jerry' remix- a cat and rat fight. I played it as I walked towards the woods, gun over shoulder, loaded, safety on and within 20seconds it was out of the woods looking at me directly- but skylined......******.

Down on one knee, gun brought round. watched it on the edge of the torch light from my hand torch come down the slope onto a road and along the road towards me, torch off and I made up the hill so as to get it off the road with a soft backstop. He stopped and I played a few more seconds, he was definitely having some of this and came back onto the field and up towards me. He was now in my scope crosshairs but was just getting easier by the second as the range closed down, 120 100 80 and a central chest shot from my .243 which exited lower abdomen opposite side. Instantly down , on examination a large prime condition dog fox.

I had a chat with the farmer as I left, not much fox action around yet but the hunt are running over the surrounding hills this weekend so that may push some towards us. I told him ill be back in a fortnight to see. Happy farmer, and the tides are perfect for nightflights this weekend anyway.....

Well done that man :good:

Hi Craig

I've got two 222's. and there are both tack drivers, I use mine for long range rabbits, Canada geese reduction, foxes and munties

Can't find a better rifle, cheap to feed, reloading is a doddle and inherently accurate

I've got a permanent NV on the Weihrauch. ( photon 6.5) its faultless and a S & B zenith on the blaser with aN870 on a QD

I can tell you they've both accounted for a few foxes 50 gr v max. For all but canadas then 50 grn NTX without shifting poa

Really superb all round calibre

Long live the Duce

Patrol

good shooting gentlemen. maize is coming off and last lots of grass. i have had some good sport 6 in the last 10 days all called and shot with one of those old fashioned things that light up things at night lol. got a few more new patches to try tonight with my apprentice so hopefully he will do a write up for you if we have any luck

Got a small dog fox last night he had been coming the last two nights and killing a few ducks so I thought I had better have a look. Got in place up the tower at 10pm and he arrived at 2.10am I've never seen a fox so excited about killing a duck he was throwing it about and leaping around it, I had to give him a whistle to stop. Nice easy shot at 16 yards.

1 vixen last night off a bean field.

Bloody thing crept up behind me as I was packing up, just before I jumped in the truck I had my normal 1 last look before I drove off down the track.

There it was sitting watching me, whipped the rifle out of the back on the bails ir and archer on, now where's that bloody fox gone ?

Oh ! Only 100 yards plus away and still going, a quick squeak and she stopped and turned. That'll do,,, off you you go vmax, thud like thumping a pillow. 165 yards.

Happy keeper, might earn me a days pheasant shoot. ;-)

post-2987-0-95925700-1475407372_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dougy

good shooting gentlemen. maize is coming off and last lots of grass. i have had some good sport 6 in the last 10 days all called and shot with one of those old fashioned things that light up things at night lol. got a few more new patches to try tonight with my apprentice so hopefully he will do a write up for you if we have any luck

:lol::lol::lol: Nowt wrong with being old fashioned bud, great result as well

Got a small dog fox last night he had been coming the last two nights and killing a few ducks so I thought I had better have a look. Got in place up the tower at 10pm and he arrived at 2.10am I've never seen a fox so excited about killing a duck he was throwing it about and leaping around it, I had to give him a whistle to stop. Nice easy shot at 16 yards.

good result there mate

1 vixen last night off a bean field.

Bloody thing crept up behind me as I was packing up, just before I jumped in the truck I had my normal 1 last look before I drove off down the track.

There it was sitting watching me, whipped the rifle out of the back on the bails ir and archer on, now where's that bloody fox gone ?

Oh ! Only 100 yards plus away and still going, a quick squeak and she stopped and turned. That'll do,,, off you you go vmax, thud like thumping a pillow. 165 yards.

Happy keeper, might earn me a days pheasant shoot. ;-)

Glad to see that you are still alive and well after your mushroom experience. Well done on the fox :good: