Fox club

WelshMike

At least you guys have some to take a picture off (even without the studio posing) :):good:

Out last night on first farm, despite farmer claims of an infestation, foxes must have been out on their christmas party. Zilch so off to farm 2.

Parked up and walked up the track and drew one down from the hill within 10 mins. Stopped it at about 40 yds to find that someone had not chambered a round :innocent: . Fox dipped into the hedge doing a ninja move to dodge the BB's sent in his direction.

Back to the farm we started on and one fox was back but refused to co-operate and come out of the orchard into the field we were in. Tried to get into a shootable spot but fox dodged around the trees easily in shotgun range which was back in the truck ( :whistling:). Staying out of range but watching us from in the trees we climbed into the orchard. It was still in play. try as we might we could not get it in or get a safe shot of at it and it played with us for maybe 20 mins around the trees before disappearing.

Merry Christmas to you all.

safe gun handling not chambering a round. :) you saved me a pound and a bit of wear to my barrel :lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least you guys have some to take a picture off (even without the studio posing) :):good:

Out last night on first farm, despite farmer claims of an infestation, foxes must have been out on their christmas party. Zilch so off to farm 2.

Parked up and walked up the track and drew one down from the hill within 10 mins. Stopped it at about 40 yds to find that someone had not chambered a round :innocent: . Fox dipped into the hedge doing a ninja move to dodge the BB's sent in his direction.

Back to the farm we started on and one fox was back but refused to co-operate and come out of the orchard into the field we were in. Tried to get into a shootable spot but fox dodged around the trees easily in shotgun range which was back in the truck ( :whistling:). Staying out of range but watching us from in the trees we climbed into the orchard. It was still in play. try as we might we could not get it in or get a safe shot of at it and it played with us for maybe 20 mins around the trees before disappearing.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Never a wasted trip if you see some...think of it as reconnaissance ;)

Met up with a fella last night to show him the NV and was a pair in 1st field..typical as we were only looking through the Archer :oops: Tried a call some 20mins later after showing him more about it and had a huge Fox coming in but hung up behind the hedge in next field...at least he got to see it even though there were too many branches in the way to shoot it...be back after Xmas with little Frodo if i can get him out in this cold weather :lol:

After earlier recon trip :) we were out fri night over half a dozen farms making it a late night. My mum is over for Christmas so any excuse to get out of the way is good by me :).

Third farm of the night saw me struggling to open the field gate in the dark and rattling it open as we parked in the field. Despite all the racket we were making the usual hushed voices were in use when Bumpy spots a target 150 m at the bottom of the field under the hedge. Suddenly more aware of the noise we were making it was out with the sticks, unzip the rifle and get set up. Larger squeaks got his attention and he trotted over to the far hedge and then slowly in our direction. Smaller mouse squeaks and he warily trotted in to maybe 50-60m and the hmr let go. The shot was a little low and he ran on a few yards before dropping at the corner of the field.

First one to the new Weihrauch.

Quickly followed by a rabbit to complete the pose below.

IMG_10021_zpseiabw3yh.jpg

went out on 23 rd as will notget a chance over xmas farmer told us he had drilled lots fields and need to be careful were we drive and had to take him is drink up and was only going out for an hour or two drove around were we can shoot a few rabbits said to my mate lets go to the other side and the back of the farm so can have quick scan and drop off drink not seen much on this side of farm so only set 17 up as there is a few rabbits drove down 2 fields of sugar beet and a set of eyes looking at us about 150 away with only 17 in hand so lamped it up again and had gone into next field so put bolt back in 222 and mag drove into next field with no lights on and was there DSC_0013_zpsngxagxeq.jpg looking at me at about 130 yard merry xmas

Edited by babs2020

Look forward to the pics but beware the photo standard is as important as the shooting :lol: Dougy Foosa and Foxhunter closely followed by Welsh Mike are showing the way in the picture posting :good: .and I am working on the composition :)

No no !!! Don't put me in that group I wish I hadn't have said anything now.

I have had 2 the last outing and the photos are something akin to a child's attempt at a still life photo while throwing a tantrum at the same time.

No no !!! Don't put me in that group I wish I hadn't have said anything now.

I have had 2 the last outing and the photos are something akin to a child's attempt at a still life photo while throwing a tantrum at the same time.

You and me both :lol: Mine have been taken with the spotting lamp so only half the pic comes out. I was going to take some tinsel but I thought some might find it disrespectful :unhappy:

Here you go, definitely a prize winner for the local photography club annual competition. May eventually be on next year's countryfile calendar.

post-2987-0-13064200-1483179593_thumb.jpg

Anyway the technical stuff, 55 grn Nosler bt,Rifle, Sako 75 26" Lothar match barrel leupold 4-14×50 vx3, Archer and Drgonfly.

she came up the side of us along the side of some cover crop and stopped less than 50 yards away.

Last one for 2016. Just totting up the years total and I thinks it's around the 70 Mark.

ARGH only just found this a good idea well done to all the lads that have taken time to post on this thread and reply to it if you lads dont mind i will post some of the pigs as well as some fox i have had in the last couple of mths i know wher to look now

Sounds good bud, get posting.

Here you go, definitely a prize winner for the local photography club annual competition. May eventually be on next year's countryfile calendar.

attachicon.gif31125.jpg

Anyway the technical stuff, 55 grn Nosler bt,Rifle, Sako 75 26" Lothar match barrel leupold 4-14×50 vx3, Archer and Drgonfly.

she came up the side of us along the side of some cover crop and stopped less than 50 yards away.

Last one for 2016. Just totting up the years total and I thinks it's around the 70 Mark.

I like this one mate, good placement of oak leaves, you make us all so proud :good::good::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Look forward to the pics but beware the photo standard is as important as the shooting :lol: Dougy Foosa and Foxhunter closely followed by Welsh Mike are showing the way in the picture posting :good: .and I am working on the composition :)

How dare you add me to that list......and in 4th place...I might have to ban you from the club :lol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR fellow fox club members.

I managed to lock my account and as I havent been at work have only just managed to get my password sorted.

Managed 4 foxes over the festive break 2 at the tail end of 2016 bringing the total to a respectable 107 and 2 sunday night.

I was patiently waiting out on Sunday night when my phone rang. A strange sounding man wanted to talk all things fox to me...weirdo....but then thats Foxhunter1 for you :lol::lol: Managed to get shot of him (thank god) and back to the foxes. Had the caller set up for about 30 minutes but no luck so off on foot. Got up to the top side of the farm and spotted some nice fox looking eyes. By the time I had the rifle on the sticks the fox was in the same field and a quick squeak stopped this one long enough to put him on the floor. Nice dog fox.

Over to farm 2 where I had heard a dog calling a few nights earlier. Set up the caller for 30 mins, no luck so headed over to the other side of the road where I hoped the fox might be waiting for me...flick of the torch..there he was. Set up on the sticks, quick squeak and he came trotting in. Had to shout to stop him at about 30 yards....no 2 down. Not very challenging shots but the farmer was happy.

Heres wishing my fellow fox club members a successful year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR fellow fox club members.

I managed to lock my account and as I havent been at work have only just managed to get my password sorted.

Managed 4 foxes over the festive break 2 at the tail end of 2016 bringing the total to a respectable 107 and 2 sunday night.

I was patiently waiting out on Sunday night when my phone rang. A strange sounding man wanted to talk all things fox to me...weirdo....but then thats Foxhunter1 for you :lol::lol: Managed to get shot of him (thank god) and back to the foxes. Had the caller set up for about 30 minutes but no luck so off on foot. Got up to the top side of the farm and spotted some nice fox looking eyes. By the time I had the rifle on the sticks the fox was in the same field and a quick squeak stopped this one long enough to put him on the floor. Nice dog fox.

Over to farm 2 where I had heard a dog calling a few nights earlier. Set up the caller for 30 mins, no luck so headed over to the other side of the road where I hoped the fox might be waiting for me...flick of the torch..there he was. Set up on the sticks, quick squeak and he came trotting in. Had to shout to stop him at about 30 yards....no 2 down. Not very challenging shots but the farmer was happy.

Heres wishing my fellow fox club members a successful year.

well done mike not been out on the foxes for a few weeks but hopefully get out to a couple of likely spots this week. been to busy processing venison :yes:. my apprentice has set a target for the year but i think he is more interested in the photo quality :lol:

Hopefully the count starts on Wednesday night. Bagsy on the sticks first :lol:.

I have heard a rumour that the foxes can be measured? The largest red fox on record in Great Britain was a 17.2 kg (38.1 lbs), 1.4-metre (4 ft 7 in) long male, killed in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in early 2012.[42]

Happy New Years to you all.

I worry about you mate as you have an obsession with measuring things...... :lol::lol: Whats this target Bumpy mentions you have set yourself??

1st Jan I went out for a look. Spotted a fox leaving a bit of cover, heading downhill. I drove round to where I thought i might meet it, but was too late. Watched it go down the field to a stream and turn left, following the path of the stream. I knew if I drove round a bit I would be in a position to meet it as it walked along. Sure enough, after a short wait, I spotted it walking towards me, a quick shout stopped it in its tracks and gave me a shot. Went on to another bit and put the caller on the roof. After a few minutes I saw a fox cross a field from right to left about 300 yards in front. Then another showed itself to my left but trotted off before i could get onto it. Again, I knew where it was heading, so a 400 yard dash saw me in a position to take the shot. Home with feet up by 7pm with the 1st 2 of 2017 accounted for.

Pulsar XQ50 thermal, Drone Pro x15 with dragonfly, Steyr Pro Hunter .243 with 55g sierra blitz king homeloads.

1st Jan I went out for a look. Spotted a fox leaving a bit of cover, heading downhill. I drove round to where I thought i might meet it, but was too late. Watched it go down the field to a stream and turn left, following the path of the stream. I knew if I drove round a bit I would be in a position to meet it as it walked along. Sure enough, after a short wait, I spotted it walking towards me, a quick shout stopped it in its tracks and gave me a shot. Went on to another bit and put the caller on the roof. After a few minutes I saw a fox cross a field from right to left about 300 yards in front. Then another showed itself to my left but trotted off before i could get onto it. Again, I knew where it was heading, so a 400 yard dash saw me in a position to take the shot. Home with feet up by 7pm with the 1st 2 of 2017 accounted for.

Pulsar XQ50 thermal, Drone Pro x15 with dragonfly, Steyr Pro Hunter .243 with 55g sierra blitz king homeloads.

Well done mate, nice bit of kit on your list there, bet you need separate insurance for that lot :lol:

Had a cracking weekend..not all fox related but you boys have more sense then the general PW clan.

Headed to Exeter on friday for a spot of deer stalking etc. Had a run round a few farms on Friday night after a fox but as usual they were illusive. Headed to one patch where there were a couple. As I was the only one with NV the 2 gents in the truck couldnt see what was going on so loads of "why hasnt he shot it yet" comments...well finally after lots of pee taking I got a shot off and dropped a nice dog fox.

Saturday morning out on a DIY pheasant shoot where I kept a perfect record and didnt hit anything.... :lol::lol: 0 for 5 shots...not good.

Saturday afternoon saw me watching the edge of a wood for fallow. I have a habit of shooting the first animal that shows so my mate told me to give them a couple of minutes to see what comes out. 5 does came out and I was very good and watched them for a couple of minutes...before something spooked them (not me by the way) and off they went....

Sunday ...off for a couple of shots on the steel targets at 227 metres. 2 shots and 2 hits on the 4" gong confirmed that the rifle was shooting fine then over to dorset to see what the Sika were up to. To cut a long story short I managed 3 prickets and a hind at between 100-130 yards so I was well chuffed. Due to the nature of the place we shoot all of the animals are head or high neck shot . I appreciate some disagree with the practice but if you arent a confident shot then you dont do it...simple..Apart from a 240 mile drive home followed by gutting out 1 that my mate let me take home it was a brilliant weekend...to be fair I didnt mind the drive as it was well worth it for the banter alone. Nice evening of skinning and butchery later followed by an outing after a couple of foxes that were spotted chasing one another round the field a couple of hours ago..