WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice RS new perm and early result.

I was keeping an eye out of the window for a tame one but nothing doing.

We have some Welsh bloke over next week with his posh truck so plan is to organise some of the tame ones and make sure all of the sheep are indoors :whistling:

Hopefully he will bring translating phone :lol:

he is coming to me wednesday all sorted be with you for 7 30 - 8. probably best not to take him to Emmas place with the ewes :lol: must remember to ask him if he has seen any rugby recent :yes:

he is coming to me wednesday all sorted be with you for 7 30 - 8. probably best not to take him to Emmas place with the ewes :lol: must remember to ask him if he has seen any rugby recent :yes:

I think they used to have a team? Shame we can't muddy his truck.

Had a visit from the FAO today to checkout field and farm down in Chew, all good. Pushed on the issue of open ticket :unhappy: will have to wait till Oct.

I think they used to have a team? Shame we can't muddy his truck.

Had a visit from the FAO today to checkout field and farm down in Chew, all good. Pushed on the issue of open ticket :unhappy: will have to wait till Oct.

:lol::lol::lol: Nothing wrong with our Team apart from they dont seem to be capable of getting a kick into touch at the critical point....

:lol::lol::lol:

What slot are you asking to be opened oowee, an existing slot or a new one?

I have a slot for .243 and 223 vacant. Ordered a .243 back in Oct waiting for delivery. My ticket is closed so I have to get each piece of ground checked out. I wanted to zero in the garden but they would only look if there is quarry species so fox and deer. Its a right pain in the bum. He did say though that if I show the diary in Oct (shooting 3/ 4 times a week) it should be enough to open it up.

I have a slot for .243 and 223 vacant. Ordered a .243 back in Oct waiting for delivery. My ticket is closed so I have to get each piece of ground checked out. I wanted to zero in the garden but they would only look if there is quarry species so fox and deer. Its a right pain in the bum. He did say though that if I show the diary in Oct (shooting 3/ 4 times a week) it should be enough to open it up.

Aye mate, closed tickets are a bit of a pain. When mine was closed it always caused a bit more hassle sorting out new permissions. Mention to a farmer who just wants foxes nailed that the police (in essence) will need to come up and inspect the land and you can see the colour drain from thier faces sometimes, then you've got the inevitable delay for it to get done. That said North Wales Police have been fantastic to deal with. I had permissions checked within a couple of days. Had my HMR slot opened after 10 weeks and 400 rounds, and my .223 slot opened 10 weeks after that, with 150 rounds shot (out 4 or 5 nights a week sometimes). As much as various licensing areas get slated for poor service North Wales Police have been exemplary to deal with. It'll soon be Oct mate :)

Edited by racing snake

managed 2 last night all hand called. saw 6 but could not quite get on the other 4. had one come in to about 15 yards of us but right in front of a main road . nice to go out in mid febuary and still manage to call them under the light with no electronics. first fox was taken of a small holding where they had been taking ducks and chickens shot was taken at about 25 yards with 243. second was taken on a sheep paddock. watched him run in under the green nm800 from a long way out. stopped him at about 15 yards where it was shot with 243 :lol:

nv spotter is away for repair so the put the green pil in the night master very impressed with it this week. took on a big rabbit clearance job just up the road from me and the green nm800 is great when not using nv scope and spotter

sent owwee some nice pics as he could not make it as he was out entertaining. but will hopefully get him on some venison in the morning or he will be grumpy :lol:

Edited by bumpy22

Aye mate, closed tickets are a bit of a pain. When mine was closed it always caused a bit more hassle sorting out new permissions. Mention to a farmer who just wants foxes nailed that the police (in essence) will need to come up and inspect the land and you can see the colour drain from thier faces sometimes, then you've got the inevitable delay for it to get done. That said North Wales Police have been fantastic to deal with. I had permissions checked within a couple of days. Had my HMR slot opened after 10 weeks and 400 rounds, and my .223 slot opened 10 weeks after that, with 150 rounds shot (out 4 or 5 nights a week sometimes). As much as various licensing areas get slated for poor service North Wales Police have been exemplary to deal with. It'll soon be Oct mate :)

I have had my FAC for 30 years and it was open from day 1 ............Durham Police. Obviously forces are stricter now , suppose I was lucky.

Went out onto the hill tonight, saw a fox making a bee line for the back of Luke's farm, it had some chicken last night ( maybe a different fox) But couldn't take the shot as it was on a bit of land that is not Luke's. Watched for a few minutes and gave it best.

Walked into the first field of ground I can shoot, nothing, up the hill a bit over a track and thought I'd have a scan before opening the gate, this is a field they keep the lambs in by the house. Plenty of Rabbits, then bigger set of eyes about 200yds out near the top hedge. Too many sheep so thought I'd give it a hand squeak. It was just laid down watching the Sheep. Wind was towards me luckily and I was in a hollow with trees behind, so when it eventually heard or took notice of my calling, it started toward me albeit at a slowish trot stopping once or twice. It became shootable at about a hundred yds with no sheep near, so I squeezed of a 50 gr v-max homeload from the .222.

New phone so if I can figure the sizing issue I'll post a pic latter

Edited by tonker

First permission was relatively run-of-the-mill stuff. As I was walking through the first field I picked up something with the thermal that didn't look right. Went over for a mooch and found a dead ewe (not sure how long it had been dead for, it was still giving off a heat signature but part of the decomposition process also gives off heat). What else was also noticeable was something had already had a bit of a chew at the back-end, a tell-tale sign of a fox . .

32847570372_ac1eb82627_z.jpg

I thought this is as good a place as any to have a sit and wait, some conveniently placed fence post stacks around 100 yards away were an great spot to get the gun on, so I sat and waited. A couple of badgers rooting around to my left kept me entertained during my wait, and after just 45 minutes I spy charlie coming down the bank towards the dead sheep. I tracked her on the scope but let her get right up to the spot, she stops to have a look round before tucking in and that was long enough to send her the bad news.

32620924810_9d9d18b55e_c.jpg

After the bang, and the fine drizzle that was starting to fall I thought a move to another permission would be worthwhile. So I jump in the car and drive the 30 minutes to my next planned stop for the night. Now this particular permission has been a bit of a problem child for me as far as getting foxes. Reason being I've put huge pressure on the farms above and to the left of this one since September, with a total of 19 foxes from the other two farms, I knew that when I did pick this permission up just before Christmas that it would be slim pickings. That said part of the problem was that this particular farm was the only one that lambed outdoors, and have a history of losing lambs to foxes, so getting them sorted was more important here. I did manage a dog fox here first night but since then I've had nothing here. I've seen a fox here a few times and to be frank it's been a right pain in the ****. I've put a good few hours in on it, it's not interested in the caller and has two preferred routs through the pasture. It'll either come through the wood and go high, below the farm, or it will come through the wood and go low along the riverbank, and it's completely random in its timing The times I've sat and waited I've either not seen it all night, or I've chosen the wrong route.

So tonight I choose . . . low, down by the riverbank. For no other reason than that's where it went last time I saw it about a week ago. I'd changed the Primos head to a two-point for this cover as I kind of thought that if I do get a chance on it, it might be a bit rangy so the extra stability might come in handy, plus if you get it balanced right you can leave the gun on the tripod, picked my spot under the last pine tree on the bank, and got comfy. I waited for a couple of hours scanning the route with the thermal I was hoping it would take but there was no sign of her. With work tomorrow I was limiting myself time-wise so thought I'd give it another half an hour . . gave a quick scan right up the top (its top route, when it takes it . . and there it was!!) Bloody Hell!!! Chosen the wrong route again!!! I could see her having a mooch just to the left of a tree that I knew was a good 300 yards away from me, so the chances of a point-and-shoot shot were non-existent. I can either give it best and try another night, or try and put a shot close to it, hope it will panic, not realise where the shot came from and bolt in my direction. Getting closer wasn't an option because she was on the move, and the significant elevation change away from the riverbank gave her the high ground . .I chose the second option. Got onto the scope and could just make her out in the Drone, still having a mooch around the tree. Given her size in the scope I reckoned she was well over 300 yards away, but with not a breath of wind I put the cross-hairs at about what I would have guessed 18" to 24" above it and let one go. Didn't hear the round strike and didn't see any splash in the ground but as I thought she bolted off to the left . . I was urging her to run down in my direction but she carried on left for about 20 yards and then went into a dip and I lost sight of her. Got back on the thermal expecting to see her emerge from the dip, but no sign of it. ***? I knew there was no way she could get out of that dip without me seeing her so I knew she was still in there, but where the hell is she (I wasn't even contemplating I'd hit her at that range. So I could only assume she hadn't been that bothered about the shot and was carrying on with her business. I quickly grabbed the gun and tripod and made my way up the slope but I was expecting her to come out of the dip any second, see my coming up the slope and bolt up to the woods. I was blowing out my **** by the time I got near the dip, I slowly walked up the final few yards, looking through the thermal as I walked, still no sign of it, then as I came over the brow there it was, stone dead!

I had a good look at her and the round had gone straight through the rib cage and out of the other side with very little expansion. Not a particularly fine example of a fox, but a shot that will live with me for the rest of my life. Would I ever be able to repeat it? No way, not in a million years, it was more luck than judgement, I wouldn't even attempt it again. I didn't have a rangefinder with me but I did have two definitive landmarks where I was and where she was. By far, and I mean by a long way, my furthest kill with a rifle.

32620831290_464c39851c_c.jpg

32877030811_1d1ef6d01d_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Another fat dog fox from the night before last taken with the .204

That is one big old porker of a fox, well done mate :good:

Went out onto the hill tonight, saw a fox making a bee line for the back of Luke's farm, it had some chicken last night ( maybe a different fox) But couldn't take the shot as it was on a bit of land that is not Luke's. Watched for a few minutes and gave it best.

Walked into the first field of ground I can shoot, nothing, up the hill a bit over a track and thought I'd have a scan before opening the gate, this is a field they keep the lambs in by the house. Plenty of Rabbits, then bigger set of eyes about 200yds out near the top hedge. Too many sheep so thought I'd give it a hand squeak. It was just laid down watching the Sheep. Wind was towards me luckily and I was in a hollow with trees behind, so when it eventually heard or took notice of my calling, it started toward me albeit at a slowish trot stopping once or twice. It became shootable at about a hundred yds with no sheep near, so I squeezed of a 50 gr v-max homeload from the .222.

New phone so if I can figure the sizing issue I'll post a pic latter

Well done bud, another good night.

First permission was relatively run-of-the-mill stuff. As I was walking through the first field I picked up something with the thermal that didn't look right. Went over for a mooch and found a dead ewe (not sure how long it had been dead for, it was still giving off a heat signature but part of the decomposition process also gives off heat). What else was also noticeable was something had already had a bit of a chew at the back-end, a tell-tale sign of a fox . .

32847570372_ac1eb82627_z.jpg

I thought this is as good a place as any to have a sit and wait, some conveniently placed fence post stacks around 100 yards away were an great spot to get the gun on, so I sat and waited. A couple of badgers rooting around to my left kept me entertained during my wait, and after just 45 minutes I spy charlie coming down the bank towards the dead sheep. I tracked her on the scope but let her get right up to the spot, she stops to have a look round before tucking in and that was long enough to send her the bad news.

32620924810_9d9d18b55e_c.jpg

After the bang, and the fine drizzle that was starting to fall I thought a move to another permission would be worthwhile. So I jump in the car and drive the 30 minutes to my next planned stop for the night. Now this particular permission has been a bit of a problem child for me as far as getting foxes. Reason being I've put huge pressure on the farms above and to the left of this one since September, with a total of 19 foxes from the other two farms, I knew that when I did pick this permission up just before Christmas that it would be slim pickings. That said part of the problem was that this particular farm was the only one that lambed outdoors, and have a history of losing lambs to foxes, so getting them sorted was more important here. I did manage a dog fox here first night but since then I've had nothing here. I've seen a fox here a few times and to be frank it's been a right pain in the ****. I've put a good few hours in on it, it's not interested in the caller and has two preferred routs through the pasture. It'll either come through the wood and go high, below the farm, or it will come through the wood and go low along the riverbank, and it's completely random in its timing The times I've sat and waited I've either not seen it all night, or I've chosen the wrong route.

So tonight I choose . . . low, down by the riverbank. For no other reason than that's where it went last time I saw it about a week ago. I'd changed the Primos head to a two-point for this cover as I kind of thought that if I do get a chance on it, it might be a bit rangy so the extra stability might come in handy, plus if you get it balanced right you can leave the gun on the tripod, picked my spot under the last pine tree on the bank, and got comfy. I waited for a couple of hours scanning the route with the thermal I was hoping it would take but there was no sign of her. With work tomorrow I was limiting myself time-wise so thought I'd give it another half an hour . . gave a quick scan right up the top (its top route, when it takes it . . and there it was!!) Bloody Hell!!! Chosen the wrong route again!!! I could see her having a mooch just to the left of a tree that I knew was a good 300 yards away from me, so the chances of a point-and-shoot shot were non-existent. I can either give it best and try another night, or try and put a shot close to it, hope it will panic, not realise where the shot came from and bolt in my direction. Getting closer wasn't an option because she was on the move, and the significant elevation change away from the riverbank gave her the high ground . .I chose the second option. Got onto the scope and could just make her out in the Drone, still having a mooch around the tree. Given her size in the scope I reckoned she was well over 300 yards away, but with not a breath of wind I put the cross-hairs at about what I would have guessed 18" to 24" above it and let one go. Didn't hear the round strike and didn't see any splash in the ground but as I thought she bolted off to the left . . I was urging her to run down in my direction but she carried on left for about 20 yards and then went into a dip and I lost sight of her. Got back on the thermal expecting to see her emerge from the dip, but no sign of it. ***? I knew there was no way she could get out of that dip without me seeing her so I knew she was still in there, but where the hell is she (I wasn't even contemplating I'd hit her at that range. So I could only assume she hadn't been that bothered about the shot and was carrying on with her business. I quickly grabbed the gun and tripod and made my way up the slope but I was expecting her to come out of the dip any second, see my coming up the slope and bolt up to the woods. I was blowing out my **** by the time I got near the dip, I slowly walked up the final few yards, looking through the thermal as I walked, still no sign of it, then as I came over the brow there it was, stone dead!

I had a good look at her and the round had gone straight through the rib cage and out of the other side with very little expansion. Not a particularly fine example of a fox, but a shot that will live with me for the rest of my life. Would I ever be able to repeat it? No way, not in a million years, it was more luck than judgement, I wouldn't even attempt it again. I didn't have a rangefinder with me but I did have two definitive landmarks where I was and where she was. By far, and I mean by a long way, my furthest kill with a rifle.

32620831290_464c39851c_c.jpg

32877030811_1d1ef6d01d_c.jpg

Well done mate. That is a spectacular shot (accidental or not :lol::lol: ) nicely done mate.

Nice one Racing Snake, it's a good job that it's not on the picture section really. Cus you'll get some flack for taking shots at night over 100yds.

Sometimes the situation crops up that there are just 2 options, leave it or take the shot. If you leave it, will you get the chance again ? If you have been asked to sort out XYZ fox by the land owner then you must try.

Yes no doubt it would be there for another night, but you made a decision at the time.

I've taken plenty at OTT ranges so I'm certainly not having a pop. Missed a few but nowhere near as many as I haven't.

Thats why we set up the Fox Club to avoid stupid comments from people who dont understand pest control. Better to take the chance and regret it then to not take the chance and regret it in my opinion.

If you cant shoot past 100 yards fair enough but if you can there is no issue in my eyes.

...forgot to mention my weekends antics....

Drove 4 1/2 hours to dorset after Sika on Saturday...saw 1 for 1/2 second as something (not me) had spooked it. Saw a lovely fox 200 yards away but no backstop ....

Went round a bit of ground near Exeter on Sunday morning and saw nothing followed by a 4 hour drive home...

To be fair its always good to see my mate and the ground is lovely and a change so worth the drive...though it would have been nice to have a shot...