Fox club

WelshMike

Nice work on the dog Mike, but shame about the miss. Know what you mean about being grumpy after a miss, it drives me mental when it happens. Never my fault though....always the gun's :lol:. Managed to get out after the rain for a couple of hours on Saturday night but nothing seen. Moon was a bit too much Sunday and Monday but some cloud tonight convinced me it might be worth a couple of hours out. Decided to head up over the high hill to stretch my legs a bit. Got over pretty quickly and set the caller up and took my spot in the gorse bank. Ran it intermittently for 30 mins or so and spotted a fox far off (about 500 yards) heading left. It was semi-interested in the caller but I think it was trying to get around the wind on me. Once it disappeared from view I put the caller on mute, trying to force its hand to come back to where it was and work down towards me. Waited half an hour but no sign of it so went down a nd picked the caller up and started to trek back up the slope. Just got to the top and had a quick scan around and there was a fox back near where I'd been running the caller! Dropped back down the slope as quick as I could and took position in the gorse, got the gun on the sticks and waited. He was still a touch too far, as he was heading in my general direction I just let him be and watched him in the scope. Once he got to where I thought I could have him I gave him a quick squeak to bring him to a stop and then sent him the bad news. Nice clean shot straight the shoulder and he dropped without a twitch. Moon broke through not long after so called it a night after that.

33063620760_b6fdb56420_c.jpg

Nice job there buddy, well done.

I notice you have the rifle rest on top of the trigger sticks. Any good? I have a set of the tripod sticks as well and am tempted by the rest but havent got round to sorting anything.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After my strop about missing the fox on Monday I recalled that I had cleaned my rifle so I have a bit more of an excuse :lol::lol:

Headed back out on Tuesday night to the same patch of ground and had a nice character building walk up to the top of the ground. On the way I watched 2 badgers having a good old scrap and tearing fur out of one another. Had a quick flick about with the lamp and picked up some nice bright eye shine. Over to the NV and watched the fox walk about 300 yards, all skylined. Set the caller up and a pair of eyes appeared down in the bottom of the field, obviously a different fox to the one I had watched go in the opposite direction. Got to a sensible spot about 115 yards away facing steeply down towards the woods. The fox followed the exact same route as the one from Monday night so I was pretty sure that it was the same one. It cleared the fence in the same point and stopped when I gave it a loud squeak. Round away and fox down so a marked improvement on the night before. Dog fox no 1 down. Spotted another fox before leaving but no safe shot.

Headed over to the second farm which is split by a river. Spotted some nice bright eye shine the far side of the river. Now this is where it gets a bit strange/confusing. Over to the NV and the eyes were half way up a tree....my head said fox but then the question of "why is the fox up a tree" was asked...walked a bit closer to a sensible position about 100 yards away. The eyes were still up the tree with a set of foxes ears....Whilst contemplating my options and being bemused I spotted another fox at the bottom of the tree. Squeaked for 30 seconds and the fox that was up the tree came down and presented a better shot. Round away and down he went. The second fox legged it and didnt return. Another dog fox.

2 dogs and a very interesting night. Never seen a fox up a tree before. The tree was an oak and sat on a steep bank. with a larger fallen bough presenting a nice easy route for the fox to have an elevated relax.

Pics to follow as computer playing up.

A fox up a tree! I've never seen that before either Mike, that's bizarre. Good shooting again.

Yeah I like the two point rest, I've got it on the shorter version of the Primos tripod, so I can find a place to sit down, get the tripod opened up and rest the gun on it without having to get up of my backside to take the shot. They don't recommend leaving a gun on it but if it's level and not blowing a hoolie I've never had a problem. Don't know how you'd get on with it on the longer trigger stick bipod, I've got one of those but never tried the two point on it, though to be honest I hardly ever use the tall one unless it's for a bit of ratting with the air rifle. Had a few rangy ones with the two point that I don't know if I'd have hit with just the conventional head.

A fox up a tree! I've never seen that before either Mike, that's bizarre. Good shooting again.

Yeah I like the two point rest, I've got it on the shorter version of the Primos tripod, so I can find a place to sit down, get the tripod opened up and rest the gun on it without having to get up of my backside to take the shot. They don't recommend leaving a gun on it but if it's level and not blowing a hoolie I've never had a problem. Don't know how you'd get on with it on the longer trigger stick bipod, I've got one of those but never tried the two point on it, though to be honest I hardly ever use the tall one unless it's for a bit of ratting with the air rifle. Had a few rangy ones with the two point that I don't know if I'd have hit with just the conventional head.

Cheers mate and thanks for the comments.

Off out again tonight, will have to keep an eye out at a higher level just in case there are any more roosting foxes :lol::lol:

not been out after foxes for well over a month as been helping my farmer friend build a pole barn and stables and helping with lambing and the fields have been horrendous but since we have put our rare breed lambs out this week thought i better get me *** out ,early start at 8pm before that big moon came up sat in one of our highseats and set the caller away ,wasnt long before spotted pair of eyes but they belonged to old Brock,,changed the call on foxpro but nothing showed after30 minutes so thought one last call before i move on to another spot ,within minutes had fox heading in to caller she paused for a second and thats all that was need 55 grain v max finished the job.nice vixen 400 yds from our lamb field ,early finish as that big old moon came about and it was like daylight

vixen%2015_zpszeqgbu4d.jpg

Have to take what he says with a pinch of salt :lol::lol:

Knickers .

I couldn't believe it. It was about feet up in a hedge. How on earth it got up there was really weird.

Just had 2 tonight. Biggest dog fox I've had it think and a vixen.

Dog was at 210yds and the vixen was at 150. Mate had to lie down so I could use him as a rest.

Pics up in a bit.

post-2987-0-55708800-1489734995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dougy

Knickers .

I couldn't believe it. It was about feet up in a hedge. How on earth it got up there was really weird.

Dog was at 210yds and the vixen was at 150. Mate had to lie down so I could use him as a rest.

Pics up in a bit.

Thats what mates are for, bag carriers and rests :lol: Well done on the two. I have just sat and watched one refuse to dross the hedge to my perm :unhappy:

not been out after foxes for well over a month as been helping my farmer friend build a pole barn and stables and helping with lambing and the fields have been horrendous but since we have put our rare breed lambs out this week thought i better get me *** out ,early start at 8pm before that big moon came up sat in one of our highseats and set the caller away ,wasnt long before spotted pair of eyes but they belonged to old Brock,,changed the call on foxpro but nothing showed after30 minutes so thought one last call before i move on to another spot ,within minutes had fox heading in to caller she paused for a second and thats all that was need 55 grain v max finished the job.nice vixen 400 yds from our lamb field ,early finish as that big old moon came about and it was like daylight

vixen%2015_zpszeqgbu4d.jpg

Well done buddy, thought you had retired :lol::lol:

Thanks for the feed back :)

Some very good results on this page lads.

I hear talk of a miss ;) how does that happen? :whistling:

Fox up a tree??? No picture?? Sorry cant believe it :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks Grant......not sure how I could take a pic of a fox up a tree 100 yards away in the dark but I will try harder next time. :lol::lol:

probably a squirrel knowing him :hmm::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: No red squirrels round my neck of the woods bud

Knickers .

Pics up in a bit.

Sorry buddy I couldnt resist. I was confused as hell, and couldnt believe what I was seeing.

Well done on the foxes, massive great lump of a dog thats for sure. Glad to see you put your mates to good use :lol::lol::lol:

Knickers .

Pics up in a bit.

That old boy has been feasting well. :good:

Just a tip for those who suffer from light rain on IR lazer. It really ruined the night when I had drizzle on my dragonfly, so the 1st option was to fit a butler flip cap on the end. It sorted it momentarily but when I opened it I still had the same problem. So I had a search around to see if I could find some tubing to put over the end to keep it sheltered. I found a company that deals with Auto hoses, http://www.autosiliconehoses.com a perfect fit and what I thought was a reasonable price. It had its 1st outing last night, a bit of light drizzle, and not any issues.

Thats rather a personal comment to make about Dougy :lol::lol: though to be fair if I could make venison burgers like he does I would be feasting well..as well.

I do have a little "middle age spread" but I feel a little healthier than that dog fox.